Summer Sale questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Sale questions...

Hi-I am very excited about the current sale you have and I have a FF kit sitting in my cart just waiting for me to do the final click to purchase. But I have some questions...

1. I want to buy this kit to just have on hand for a relative I haven't tested. I don't know the sex of the person nor their name. So how do I answer those questions that are asked before I purchase the kit?

2. Also, I am asked if the kit is for an existing customer. Well, I am an existing customer. But I also manage other kits. Do I answer Yes, I am an existing customer? Or what do I do?

3. How long is the sale for?

4. Can someone in Canada purchase a kit for the same price?

Thank you, Judy

You choose a sex - I usually say Male, since all Tests can be ordered for Male. But either way, if it ends up being wrong, you can just call Customer Service and explain - and as I understand it, they will take care of it no problem.

As to name - fill out as you choose - for example, TBD TBD, send c/o your name, your address. This you do not need Customer Service to change - you just log in and change it when someone does the test / sends the test back / agrees to do the test (whenever you choose to, as many times as you choose to).

Is it for an existing Customer - NO. Use the Kit only for folks who have not already done a test at FTDNA.

Be sure to put your e-mail address both in section for person ordering, and in section for person kit sent to.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
      Is it for an existing Customer - NO.
      That was not so clear told in the mail, was it?

In some way I ordered the FF-offer in my own name, plus cost of shipping to Scandinavia, and got a new kit number.

I paid the requested amount, $69 plus shipping. What will happen?

Comment

Is it for an existing Customer - NO. Use the Kit only for folks who have not already done a test at FTDNA.
        Males with Y-DNA and/or mtDNA kits can add Family Finder at the sale price.

The end date for the sale has not been announced.

Comment

Thank you! I think those replies answered my questions...

Comment

Originally posted by Yde View Post
            In some way I ordered the FF-offer in my own name, plus cost of shipping to Scandinavia, and got a new kit number.

I paid the requested amount, $69 plus shipping. What will happen?
            Yde -
            if you already have a kit number for one or more tests on yourself - then contact FTDNA's Customer Service - with the info on both Kit Numbers handy, knowing which is the old kit, which is the new.
            IF you already sent in DNA for a previous test, then there is no reason to order a new Kit - the test should be done as an upgrade on that Kit, no new DNA sent in, etc.
            CONTACT THEM IMMEDIATELY - if you reach them before the kit sent out, they may be able to take care of everything easily.
            If you do not reach them immediately - Definitely talk to them before mailing back the Kit - otherwise they will be under two different numbers and you will not be able to see folks who match you on both tests.
            IF the old Kit was a transfer from another company, so they do not have any of your DNA on hand, then they still need to send out a Kit - but you want it switched to your old number - they should be able to tell you what to do / take care of it. Again - probably better to talk to them before the Kit is actually sent if possible, otherwise ASAP.

IF you have not already tested at FTDNA and have not transferred the results of a test you took elsewhere to FTDNA - then yes, you are a new Customer (even if you may have previously ordered for a parent or whatever).
            OR - if this test you are ordering is not for your own DNA but for someone else's DNA who does not yet have a Kit Number - then also, it is a new customer.

Comment

Does the $12.95 shipping and handling charge include the shipping cost of returning the completed sample in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                Does the $12.95 shipping and handling charge include the shipping cost of returning the completed sample in the US?
                Yes, with tracking. If you hand it directly to a postal worker at the post office s/he will give you a receipt with the tracking number on it. I also usually make a photo copy of the envelope for my records.

Don't know about shipping from Canada - would like to know that answer too.

Comment

Another Question

I'm trying to order three Family Finder kits to be used for cousins (unknown who at this time). I carry them with me when I visit. The cart will only allow me to order one kit at a time. Am I going to have to place three different orders?

Comment

- if you reach them before the kit sent out, they may be able to take care of everything easily. If you do not reach them immediately - Definitely talk to them before mailing back the Kit - otherwise they will be under two different numbers and you will not be able to see folks who match you on both tests.
                    I contacted ftdna within 90 minutes after your wrote this - but it was to late. This afternoon my account is $81,95 less, than it was in the morning. Shipment information says: PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS.

So now I have written to them, if it is possible that the new kit number can be assimilated in my old number, when I send the product back.

As I read it at first, the Sizzling Summer Sale was not for me, so I maybe did something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
                      I'm trying to order three Family Finder kits to be used for cousins (unknown who at this time). I carry them with me when I visit. The cart will only allow me to order one kit at a time. Am I going to have to place three different orders?
                      FTDNA used to allow customers to order several kits, without paying anything, that could be taken to family reunions, trips, etc. (I used this to order 10 kits in 2006 when I went on a group trip to Sicily.) Then when someone sends back the kit with a DNA sample, they would include a check for the amount of the test price.

I remember someone posting this year that this option is no longer available, but I may be wrong about that. If that is correct, the alternative is to order three kits, but each time as a new customer. You put your address for the kit and any name you want, since it can be changed later. And put your e-mail address as the contact address for each order. That ensures that you get the e-mail with the kit number and account password.

That will give you three kit numbers and associated passwords, one for each of your cousins. The reason it won't let you order the second and third Family Finder tests is that each customer can only have the Family Finder test done once. If you're ordering from your existing account, you need to log out of your account and set up three new accounts, one for each Family Finder test.

Comment

Originally posted by Yde View Post
                        So now I have written to them, if it is possible that the new kit number can be assimilated in my old number, when I send the product back.
                        I have had written communications misunderstood/misread a couple of times - but have always had very good luck with phone contact. Others may have had more success with writing. Best of luck!

Comment

ordering blank kits

The_Contemplator posted about how to order blank kits (where you pay the cost of the test at the time of sending back the kit) in a thread a few months ago - see post #12:
                          http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?p=425443

That method uses the contact form for Customer Support. I would think you could order such blank kits by phone as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X