Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the advantages to this new FF interface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the advantages to this new FF interface?

Where can I find detailed information on the features of the FF updated format? For instance, what's the advantage of having the 'in common' and 'not in common buttons' at the top of the page as opposed to having it on every entry. Before, it was an easy 2 click process. Now it involves a click then a scroll then another click - a far more cumbersome process.
    All results now take far longer to load, and if you're on a slow connection, it times out.
    I'm hoping there are significant advantages to this new interface. I'm just not seeing them yet.

Originally posted by Juanita View Post
    Where can I find detailed information on the features of the FF updated format? For instance, what's the advantage of having the 'in common' and 'not in common buttons' at the top of the page as opposed to having it on every entry. Before, it was an easy 2 click process. Now it involves a click then a scroll then another click - a far more cumbersome process.
    All results now take far longer to load, and if you're on a slow connection, it times out.
    I'm hoping there are significant advantages to this new interface. I'm just not seeing them yet.
    I'm not seeing them either. It seems like more clicking and scrolling to me but we'll see I guess. I really haven't seen the need for a "not in common" button or option. I would really like a pedigree view for the family trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanita View Post
      I agree! Seems not an improvement at all! I haven't been able to use the in common since like you it times out!

Comment

There's no advantage whatsoever that I can see! Change for the sake of change. They should spend their resources on improving the time it takes to process tests and in attracting new customers. Instead they spend it on aggravating current customers and making everything more difficult and time consuming for them!

Comment

What I am seeing is a new interface that provides no added value, and makes things more cumbersome.
          What used to be simple is now more involved.
          Chromosome browser is not working while in 'In Common' mode. You cannot select anyone.
          What good is that?
          I don't want to sort by 'in common' write down names, come back out an sort through 1500 people trying to find the ones I need to click on!

Comment

The main advantage I can see is that the chromosome browser is easier to access, rather than being hidden away in a collapsed panel below each entry - I didn't spot it immediately and was explain this to someone else the other day and it struck me as being unnecessary. The fact that you also don't have to select it and then wait or the page to reload before selecting another is handy. However, as I can't currently get it to work in ICW mode that rather spoils the advantages.

The ICW buttons make no sense at the top of the page unless they plan on making it possible to select more than one person.

Comment

Classic Coke......

Maybe if there's enough negative feedback, there will be an option to choose between the two interfaces.

Comment

Similar thread discussing this new interface.

There's a similar thread discussing this new interface. One of the posts is quite helpful and gives an email address to which you may send feedback. Here the post:

6th July 2016, 08:54 PM
                [B]rivergirl
                FTDNA Customer

Just got this email from FTDNA re the changes;

Dear Group Administrators,

Upgrades are on the way! As we increase the size of our server room at FTDNA from 5 PM CST Friday, July 8 to 12 PM CST Saturday, July 9, a few features will be temporarily unavailable. This includes uploading Gedcoms, Autosomal transfers, Genographic Project transfers and Genographic Next Generation upgrades to Family Finder. Other services and the shopping cart will be unaffected.

More good news! We are excited to announce the release of our newest Family Matching tool. This upgraded feature works within your myFamilyTree and Family Finder matches. When accessing your Family Finder matches, you will see a new layout, along with tabs for “All”, “Paternal”, “Maternal” and “Both”, which now allows matches to be sorted paternally or maternally.

For more information on using this new tool, visit:
                https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/.../matches-page/

Please note that while we perform our scheduled maintenance this Friday and Saturday, the new calculation function will be temporarily unavailable. If you already have relatives connected, you will still be able to access these different categories, though updates stemming from changes to your tree will not be calculated until Saturday afternoon.

We welcome your feedback on this useful new feature. Please send feedback to [email protected] and we will be happy to pass it along to the development team.

Comment

Hello all,

I appreciate the feedback and am passing it along. For those of you who have not seen it I would recommend checking out Roberta Estes' blog entry here: https://dna-explained.com/2016/07/07...inder-matches/

-Darren
                  Family Tree DNA

Comment

I wonder why FTDNA sends us to a customer's blog rather than putting the directions in the "Learning Center".

Since FTDNA made the changes I would think they would have the most information about using their changes.

Roberta provides good information in her blogs but it seems to me these directions need to come from FTDNA and need to be on FTDNA's website.

Comment

The main advantage I see is the ability to quickly see your least recent matches and your smallest cM matches without having to click twice!

Seriously, the fact that the maternal/paternal feature can use first cousins is great.

Comment

Love the upgrades

Love the new look (will love even more when a few bugs get fixed). The new look addressed some of my pet peeves:
                        1) more entries on a page
                        2) can see longest block without having to turn full view on
                        3)the next/prev page is bigger so I can now finger-activate on my touch screen
                        4) you can highlight individual lines if you need to limit your scope of what you are currently working on
                        5) it shows you the count of entries in any selection or the whole database

BUT - must fix quickly the bug where you can't choose people while "in common" in order to use chromosome browser
                        And it is a lot slower to load

Comment

Love the changes - with one suggestion

Love that the Full view options are more visible
                          Love the ability to quickly see which matches also match my maternal aunts (who are linked to in my attached tree - hopefully when things settle more distant paternal relationships in the tree may activate my paternal indicators )
                          Love that I can now quickly see how many matches (as opposed to the meaningless page numbers) and how many of them I'm seeing on a page

Would much prefer that the selection capability is a check box rather than a shadowed tick. Hard to distinguish between a grey tick and a bold ticked tick.

Hope that the chromosome browser filter will be fixed to actually allow selections - AND optionally include the subject of the filter.

Browser can't seem to keep track of history as back button isn't taking me back just one page

Lorna
                          http://LornaHen.com

Comment

In my case I added in my gedcom last week and set up all my
                            kits with links. I have 2 maternal aunts one maternal uncle
                            and several 1st cousins linked in.
                            My Paternal and Maternal tabs are still both zero with
                            1925 in the All tab.
                            I hope this is just a problem with the upgrade of this weekend

Comment

Has anyone else noticed - some profiles apparently cannot be found by Search -- was looking at Kit for one of my 3rd cousins, typed last name of a mutual 3rd cousin in Search Name - got report of no matches - tried with first name instead - again, no matches. Turns out it was there - just can't be found by search on the name - not from that Kit, not from my Kit either.

(this is second instance I have come across of this - so at least two kits are invisible on search!! - assume if I have found two already, having checked very few and being a small sample - are probably lots. And even one is too many!!)

This is a major problem, in my view.

Comment

Working...
                              X