Partnership Applications - Geni.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conat View Post
    The Legal Genealogist has looked into this but backed quickly out as they couldn't figure out all subscription structure on Geni.com and MyHeritage:

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/2016...whos-on-first/

It is indeed unnecessarily confusing because they've tried to keep the two sites separate but then linked them. I have solved this problem by not paying either site a penny and it is working out OK for me so far.
    They have now done a couple of updates to clarify matters:

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/2016...d-geni-part-i/

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/2016...-geni-part-ii/

Originally posted by Russ View Post
    Hey, does this mean that other partnerships may open up in the future? Maybe with WikiTree or Familysearch?
    Hopefully. FS seem to be making a concerted attempt to create a global family tree (although why they didn't start doing that from Day 1 is a mystery) and I am keeping an eye on it with a plan to add my tree there, as they accept GEDCOMs. WikiTree always seems a mess when I look at it and I am aiming to have a more definitive, fully-sourced tree than I have on Geni.com over on WeRelate, although this wouldn't be suitable for adding DNA to as they don't allow the living.

After all, these partnerships help drive people to take DNA tests so, if they can work out ways to do it, I wouldn't be surprised that they will. However, it appears Geni.com has been working on this for 18 months, so don't hold your breath.

Comment

I do not see how a world tree that everyone can edit could possibly work. It seems like a guarantee that your tree will be full of errors and false ancestors!

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
        I do not see how a world tree that everyone can edit could possibly work. It seems like a guarantee that your tree will be full of errors and false ancestors!
        It's really fun and rewarding to work with other genealogists on shared ancestors. I can't imagine the opposite, everyone individually duplicating countless hours of work.

Comment

Both Russ and MoberlyDrake are correct. It is wonderful when we can work with other genealogists to solve research problems, but the result of "everyone" ganging up on a "world family tree" is chaos. The unfortunate fact is that not everyone who wants to delve into family history has developed the research and communications skills required for such an effort. When I work with others on a difficult case, it is with carefully selected individuals whose abilities I trust, not an anonymous horde that updates a family tree in the dead of night. In fact, in my research model, the family tree only gets updated after the compelling evidence is found and a consensus has been reached. No consensus can be achieved without full and open communication, and that is clearly not happening in the open edit "world family tree" environment.

Comment

Just as an experiment, I added a small tree to Geni, taking my father's line back to his grandparents in Cappelle sul Tavo, Italy. I know nothing about them. Through the LDS, I found records for only a short span of time. They had birth records for 2 of their children, plus a death record for one of the two, who didn't live very long. My father visited the town once when he was a young man. He gave me the names of the children as he remembered them, but he wasn't very certain.

I was hoping to get some hints. Apparently absolutely no one has ever worked on any of these people. Or perhaps the names are wrong. "Di Giampaolo" appeared to be written as two words in the few records I found.

And it was a lot of work, as I had to type Cappelle sul Tavo fully each time. It didn't seem to save it if I copied and pasted it. And I couldn't get it to accept "Jefferson County, Ohio" or "Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio". It would accept "Steubenville, OH". Essentially, it will not accept place names entered according to genealogical standards. And apparently it's set up to for a woman's married name with her maiden name entered separately.

Comment

When refreshing Geni I got a "threat has been detected message" from Avast. Has anyone else had this? The threat was blocked.

Comment

Geni is making some far out genetic connections for me, like a 24th cousin 6x removed. And it traces our connection back person to person to a Russian Prince! How reliable is this service?

Comment

Originally posted by NCroots View Post
                  Geni is making some far out genetic connections for me, like a 24th cousin 6x removed. And it traces our connection back person to person to a Russian Prince! How reliable is this service?
                  It's only as reliable as the sometimes fanciful (as in wishful thinking) family trees that others have posted there. While it may be the case that you do have common ancestors with a person with such a fanciful tree, that doesn't mean that the person's tree is entirely accurate, especially as it goes back further in time or involves some famous figure. In many cases it may be wise to take your match's tree with a grain of salt.

Comment

Fanciful Trees

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                    It's only as reliable as the sometimes fanciful (as in wishful thinking) family trees that others have posted there. While it may be the case that you do have common ancestors with a person with such a fanciful tree, that doesn't mean that the person's tree is entirely accurate, especially as it goes back further in time or involves some famous figure. In many cases it may be wise to take your match's tree with a grain of salt.
                    Indeed! There's a man on YouTube of Scots-Irish descent who claims to descend from King David and the Plantagenet families. He even claims to descend from Mohammed. No one ever claims to descend from poor sharecroppers or even slaveowners. It's always a King, Chief or Indian Princess.

Comment

Is that a genetic connection or a family tree one?

As they are aiming at a world family tree you can figure out your connections to people and if it is very distant, then you'd tend to find they go via some member of the landed gentry. My wife is something like a 33rd cousin of the Queen of England via a Norman baron (and Churchill and JFK, etc.). We knew this already from the research we'd done so it wasn't a surprise. If it is a paper trail then you'd need to check the connections yourself, but if you push your tree far enough back you are liable to bump into someone posh as their families are usually better documented and you'd have thousands of ancestors so it gets statistically likely you'll find one.

If it is genetic then it can't be an autosomal match and I didn't think the Y DNA can be that specific without the paper trail.

Comment

They seem to have fixed one of the main niggles I had with the DNA results - that nearly everyone was showing up as a second cousin twice removed. Not likely as I know who most of my second cousins are and some of their children. When I checked for them on here they came up as 4th-5th cousins.

They are now showing as 3rd-4th or 3rd-5th cousins, which seems more reasonable.

I still haven't got a known member of my family tree on there yet, which would be interesting as a test for this matching.

Comment

Originally posted by Conat View Post
                          Is that a genetic connection or a family tree one?
                          Genetic connection. There is a gentleman I'll call Jorma from Finland who matches me on FTDNA, 23andMe, and GEDmatch. I have no known Finnish ancestry and his ancestry seems 100% Finnish. I was completely stumped as to how we could be related. Jorma's family tree does not include any of my ancestors, nor any ancestors from the regions in which I have known ancestors (Western Germany, England, Northern Ireland, and the USA). Yet, Geni shows a path tracing from my father back to Rostislav Mstislavich of Kiev (news to me!) and shows Jorma being descended from Rostislav's sister. He has none of this in his family tree and I certainly don't-- so it's a mystery.

Comment

Genetic connection. There is a gentleman I'll call Jorma from Finland who matches me on FTDNA, 23andMe, and GEDmatch. I have no known Finnish ancestry and his ancestry seems 100% Finnish. I was completely stumped as to how we could be related. Jorma's family tree does not include any of my ancestors, nor any ancestors from the regions in which I have known ancestors (Western Germany, England, Northern Ireland, and the USA). Yet, Geni shows a path tracing from my father back to Rostislav Mstislavich of Kiev (news to me!) and shows Jorma being descended from Rostislav's sister. He has none of this in his family tree and I certainly don't-- so it's a mystery.
                            That does sound weird - where are these results appearing? I've had a nose around and can't find a way to make it do this. It might be I haven't got some vital step in yet but I can't quite figure out what it is doing or how it is doing it.

Comment

Working...
                            X