How will we know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will we know?

Two events are supposedly going to occur this spring ... a new My Origins and resumption of BAM file creation. How will we know when these happen?

As an aside, is it better to request a BAM file now and get in queue or to wait until processing has resumed?

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
    As an aside, is it better to request a BAM file now and get in queue or to wait until processing has resumed?
    The contact option to request a BAM file was removed in January. Perhaps BAM file creation will become automatic?

Comment

Has anyone's My Origins populations changed yet? I'm very interested to see how my Southern European will be broken down.

Comment

What is a BAM file?

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
          What is a BAM file?
          BAM file contains almost all raw results from a Big Y test.

Not all, since some results that are not related to Y chromosome testing (e.g. mtDNA) are removed from the file by FTDNA before it is delivered to the tester.

A precise explanation can be found here https://www.broadinstitute.org/igv/BAM

Mr W

P.S.
          It is a pity that the FTDNA Learning Center does not even mention the BAM file.

Comment

It is used to get analysis that FTDNA does not provide. There are 3 options, get a project admin to analyze it (most don't) for free, get FGS to analyze it for $50, or get YFull to do it for $49.

Comment

How do these rumors of an my origins update start in the forums, has FTDNA stated an update is coming, I have never seen any announcement on the update and very few from the FTDNA staff, and I have been here since almost day one, 2007.
              Last edited by Odis; 8 March 2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

It was officially announced at FTDNA's annual conference in November. It was stated that it would arrive by around the end of the first quarter. That would be this month.

Whether the timetable is still good, I don't know. But FTDNA has not issued any statement revising that timetable.

Comment

Working...
                X