Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY CAN'T I PURCHASE A Y-KIT FOR A MALE RELATIVE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY CAN'T I PURCHASE A Y-KIT FOR A MALE RELATIVE?

Hello, seems I am the only one willing to pay for kits in my family but since I am a Sutton female and I have two Sutton males left on the paternal side, I wanted to purchase the Y-kit for my 1st cousin.

Such a good sale on now and I want to do this so does anyone have any ideas how to go about it?

Thanks for any help and Happy Holiday!

Lois Sutton

Go to the page for ordering as a new customer - https://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx - and choose one of the three tests (37, 67 or 111 STR markers) from the section titled "Father's Line." You'll be ordering as a new customer on behalf of your male relative, not through your existing FTDNA account.

When you fill out the information for the order, put the male relative's name as the person taking the test. That will eliminate confusion when someone matches him and wonders why he's matching a woman, if you were to use your name. You can either use your male relative's address or yours as the address to send the kit to. Probably best to put "c/o your name" on the second address line, if you're having it sent to you. Then the postman will be sure to deliver it, since he'll recognize your name.

Most importantly, if you are going to manage the account and are the one most interested in the results, put your e-mail address as the contact address for your male relative's account. That will ensure that FTDNA sends you the kit number and password, which you'll need to have access to the account and your relative's results and any future test ordering.

Comment

As MMaddi mentions it has to be through a new customer order.

Do not log in to your account, create a new one by going to order page.

Each person has to have their own account

Comment

Originally posted by lbsutton View Post
        Such a good sale on now and I want to do this so does anyone have any ideas how to go about it?
        Don't forget to use a coupon to save a few more bucks.

Enter the coupon on the page that has a green "Proceed to checkout" button. Under that button is a small sentence, "Do you have a coupon?" Click on it to reveal a box in which to enter the coupon.

Comment

You can order a kit for someone else while logged in to your own kit. I have done it before. Go to your cart. Look for the plus sign. There is one at the bottom of the cart window and one in the summary box. Click either one of them.

In the box that says "Summary" you will see your kit listed. Under it you will see a dotted box that says "Add or gift another kit" with a plus sign at the other end. When you click that one or the other one a new kit will appear below your kit. Then just select the tester's gender and what test you want for that kit.

You don't need to put the tester's name in case your tester does not take it and you test someone else instead. You can always edit the name later.

As mentioned by others, if you are the one to manage the account use your email to receive the kit number and password.

Comment

Working...
          X