No announcement yet.

R1b SNP sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered this test a few days ago and I am excited!

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
      No one's DNA exists in isolation. Your y-DNA is inherited from your patriline & shared with all of your patrilineal (usually same surname) relatives.

Bits & pieces of your autosomal DNA are shared with relatives on all sides of your family. That is why Family Finder achieves the mystical task of finding family.

Timothy Peterman
      The YSNP that I am interested in is the one that happened in my family between 3 and 10 generations past. That is the one which will connect me to my paper trail. This SNP can be found in those who live within a 20 mile radius of where my last paper trail ancestor was born. The problem is how will I persuade people in that region to take the Big Y test?!!!!!

Comment

Invite all of the proposed test subjects to a barbecue. Make sure you give away a lot of free Guinness (or the preferred treat in Ireland).

Offer to heavily subsidize a DNA test if they will participate.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

This new backbone test will help those who are DF27. DF27 is not included in the test but here are a number of subgroups under DF27. It seems that DF27 is a difficult SNP to test for so they best way to go is to bypass it.

Comment

The R1b Backbone pack has gone up to $99, if anyone didn't already notice. This is still value for money for anyone who is predicted R1b from a Ydna 12,25,37 or 67 marker test. YSNPs are needed to confirm which branch of the R1b tree you are on.

Comment

I am glad I did not order it. Group I am in said we should not, as it would be a waste or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
                I am glad I did not order it. Group I am in said we should not, as it would be a waste or something.
                Do you always do what the group tells you? If you have already SNP tested then this test is not for you. The SNP packs that some groups are asking testers to wait for will not resolve your personal YDNA line. The only test that can do that is the Big Y. That is why I am waiting for the Big Y to come down in price.

Comment

Originally posted by David Guetta View Post
                  If you haven't already ordered an individual SNP test for DF27 then the panel test could be useful for you. The WAHM is found in a wide variety of R1b subclades including U106 and P312 subclades and this test is a time and cost effecient way of covering the bases. Even if you have ordered DF27 it could still be useful, as the test includes some subclades of DF27 and there is no guarantee that you are DF27 anyway.
                  If you are not L21 or U152 then you are DF27. You will have to wait for a DF27 SNP pack to see which subgroup you belong to.

Comment

R1b SNP sale: New Sample Required?

I sponsored a kit for Y37, just got the results - R-M269. I'm wondering about the SNP sale - will he have to re-swab, or can they use the same sample?
                    Also just ordered the upgrade to Y67 - can they use his same sample or will he have to re-swab? Thanks - new and overwhelmed - Copeland surname project -M Penrose

Comment

In general, FTDNA should be able to use existing samples. If perchance the supply gets exhausted or "spoiled," FTDNA apparently now sends an email requesting postal address confirmation before sending out a new kit. You must respond to this email, otherwise--from what I've seen--your test order may be put into a "limbo" state.

As an administrator, I dread that limbo state because it is almost impossible to track--the test no longer appears on the administrator's Pending Lab Results page. This situation is particularly alarming when the test was very expensive (e.g., the Big Y). In my project, I know that one Big Y order is in limbo, and I worry that others might be also.

By the way: If you order anything more by September 5, try this coupon code:
                      swede2015
                      It appears to reduce by 15% the price of any purchase of $99 or more.

There is another coupon that apparently reduces by $30 the price of any purchase of $149 or more:
                      swede30
                      Last edited by lgmayka; 30 August 2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Okay. I'm confused. Confused because I don't always understand what I've done, after doing it .. or why. I ordered the R1b-M343 Backbone Pack when it was on sale. So I kept waiting for notification the testing was done since late July, but see today that it was completed 8/18 (no notification). I've previously been determined to be Y-DNA R-M222. Maybe the test wasn't right for me, maybe it was. I still don't know or understand. When I look at the SNP's on the descending lineage the lowest positive continues to be M-222 and at that point there's a solicitation to pay $119 for additional testing. I recall that we were told that if the test wasn't appropriate for us individually, after we paid and the results were in we wouldn't be charged. I'll have to look at my bank statement to see what happened. But I still don't know what I should be looking for, to determine if anything new is revealed. Sorry for being such a klutz with this stuff, but I've never fully understood the 'drilling down' into the DNA. Thanks for whatever "light" you can shed on my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Masterson View Post
                          Okay. I'm confused. Confused because I don't always understand what I've done, after doing it .. or why. I ordered the R1b-M343 Backbone Pack when it was on sale. So I kept waiting for notification the testing was done since late July, but see today that it was completed 8/18 (no notification). I've previously been determined to be Y-DNA R-M222. Maybe the test wasn't right for me, maybe it was. I still don't know or understand. When I look at the SNP's on the descending lineage the lowest positive continues to be M-222 and at that point there's a solicitation to pay $119 for additional testing. I recall that we were told that if the test wasn't appropriate for us individually, after we paid and the results were in we wouldn't be charged. I'll have to look at my bank statement to see what happened. But I still don't know what I should be looking for, to determine if anything new is revealed. Sorry for being such a klutz with this stuff, but I've never fully understood the 'drilling down' into the DNA. Thanks for whatever "light" you can shed on my situation.
                          If you are still M222 after this test then you must be negative for all the downstream M222 SNPs that were in it.

Comment

I've previously been determined to be Y-DNA R-M222.
                            Are you saying that, prior to ordering the SNP Pack, you had already undergone a SNP test at FTDNA which showed you to be M222+ ? If, prior to ordering the SNP pack, you were already a confirmed ("green") R-M222, then FTDNA should not have been advertising the SNP pack to you.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                              If you are still M222 after this test then you must be negative for all the downstream M222 SNPs that were in it.
                              Thank you.

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
                              Are you saying that, prior to ordering the SNP Pack, you had already undergone a SNP test at FTDNA which showed you to be M222+ ? If, prior to ordering the SNP pack, you were already a confirmed ("green") R-M222, then FTDNA should not have been advertising the SNP pack to you.
                              Yes, prior to ordering the SNP Pack I was shown to be M-222, and I received an e-mail suggesting I take advantage of the "special offer."

Comment

Thank you.

Yes, prior to ordering the SNP Pack I was shown to be M-222, and I received an e-mail suggesting I take advantage of the "special offer."
                                If you can afford it the Big Y is the best test for you. Do not waste money on any other tests. They will not resolve your YDNA Line.

Comment

Working...
                                X