No announcement yet.

R1b SNP sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that anyone who is estimated or proven to be R1b M343+ is getting the banner, including those who have done the Big Y. This would be good for many; and completely unnecessary for some.

I wish that project admins (both surname & haplogroup) would contact their participants by e-mail & encourage them to look into this. Many participants will NEVER find the banner on their own; I say this because a lot of them haven't logged into their kit in years. They have their certificate at home & they assume that there is nothing more to test.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
      I think that anyone who is estimated or proven to be R1b M343+ is getting the banner, including those who have done the Big Y. This would be good for many; and completely unnecessary for some.

I wish that project admins (both surname & haplogroup) would contact their participants by e-mail & encourage them to look into this. Many participants will NEVER find the banner on their own; I say this because a lot of them haven't logged into their kit in years. They have their certificate at home & they assume that there is nothing more to test.

Timothy Peterman
      I can assure you that even people that are positive for SNPs further downstream and have even had the old Deep Clade test from FTDNA and have had additional SNP are getting the banner and also an email from FTDNA that the test is available whether the test is needed or not.

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post

Timothy Peterman
        FTDNA has sent out a blanket email and most people who are dna tested below these offered SNPs are intelligent enough to know whether or not they need this test.

Comment

r-L493

I have tested R-L493 should I sign up for the Back Bone Panel? I'm not sure how beneficial it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentN View Post
            I have tested R-L493 should I sign up for the Back Bone Panel? I'm not sure how beneficial it would be.
            If you are already L493+ then this test would not be useful. L493 is pretty far down the haplotree, further than is covered by this test. BigY would be more useful for you since it would uncover new SNPs that occurred even more recently than L493

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
              Apparently FTDNA is not taking Geno 2.0 results into account when inserting the banner ad for the SNP pack.
              Suggest corresponding with Mike Walsh about that problem, as he seems to have a direct link to whoever at FTDNA is constructing these packs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                FTDNA has sent out a blanket email and most people who are dna tested below these offered SNPs are intelligent enough to know whether or not they need this test.
                I don't think that you realize how impulsive some testers are. This new backbone panel has been available for less than 48 hours and 18 members of the R1b-U106 Haplogroup Project have ordered it.

As I posted earlier in this thread, anyone who's already in a haplogroup project (other than the R1b Gateway Project) will get little or, more likely, no benefit from this backbone panel. They're essentially wasting their money.

Their best option is to order Big Y, if necessary saving up for it and ordering during a sale, probably in December. Otherwise, they should check with the administrators of their haplogroup project if there is a more downstream SNP panel available that's appropriate for them or when one will be available.

Comment

Big Y

I understand that there might be an upgrade to the BigY next year. Any news on this? Since I can't afford the BigY right now, it might be worth waiting for the new version.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                    As I posted earlier in this thread, anyone who's already in a haplogroup project (other than the R1b Gateway Project) will get little or, more likely, no benefit from this backbone panel. They're essentially wasting their money.
                    ... yep, and does FTDNA really care? (That's one for Darren to answer).

Comment

Originally posted by David Guetta View Post
                      If you are already L493+ then this test would not be useful. L493 is pretty far down the haplotree, further than is covered by this test. BigY would be more useful for you since it would uncover new SNPs that occurred even more recently than L493
                      Thanks, glad I asked!

Comment

I just got my BigY test results back and I moved from Predicted Group R-M269 to Confirmed R-U152.

I tried to order this test but I get the following error on the shopping cart:

"G SNP Pack cannot be added because it already exists or is not allowed."

Is this test useful for me?

Comment

Originally posted by infecticide View Post
                          I just got my BigY test results back and I moved from Predicted Group R-M269 to Confirmed R-U152.

I tried to order this test but I get the following error on the shopping cart:

"G SNP Pack cannot be added because it already exists or is not allowed."

Is this test useful for me?
                          No not useful for someone with a Big Y.

Congrats on the R-U152, which means we both belonged to the same tribe

Have you joined the R-U152 Group, if not, hope you join soon.

Best wishes, Kevin

Comment

I don't think that you realize how impulsive some testers are. This new backbone panel has been available for less than 48 hours and 18 members of the R1b-U106 Haplogroup Project have ordered it.

Their best option is to order Big Y, if necessary saving up for it and ordering during a sale, probably in December. Otherwise, they should check with the administrators of their haplogroup project if there is a more downstream SNP panel available that's appropriate for them or when one will be available.
                            I have 420 25 marker matches, 95% of them are M269 positive and nothing further downstream. Some of them are from 2007 so they aren't the impulsive types. Perhaps they are not interested in doing SNP testing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                              I have 420 25 marker matches, 95% of them are M269 positive and nothing further downstream. Some of them are from 2007 so they aren't the impulsive types. Perhaps they are not interested in doing SNP testing.
                              I wasn't responding to you about those who are predicted to be R-M269 and haven't SNP tested. I was responding to your claim that those who've already tested SNPs downstream from M269 wouldn't mistakenly order the backbone panel, which won't help them. Evidently, as I posted, there are those who are mistakenly ordering this panel. Others in this thread have also discussed this problem.

Comment

I wasn't responding to you about those who are predicted to be R-M269 and haven't SNP tested. I was responding to your claim that those who've already tested SNPs downstream from M269 wouldn't mistakenly order the backbone panel, which won't help them. Evidently, as I posted, there are those who are mistakenly ordering this panel. Others in this thread have also discussed this problem.
                                They are not predicted because the M269 is coloured green. This is only a starter pack for these R1b testers and it is long overdue.

I don't think that people realize the task that lies ahead. If the 400 Big Y testers all have 10 new SNPs that is 4000. So how are the admins going to get SNP packs to resolve all of these branches? Just think of the amount of SNPs that 4000 Big Y tests would produce.

Comment

Working...
                                X