A note on delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikechilds54 View Post
    Has anyone consider a class action suit to force Familytreedna to cease taking new orders until they can adequately deal with the orders they now have in a timely manner.
    There is a German catchphrase: "Ritt auf dem Tiger". You cannot just jump off the tiger as he will eat you. FTDNA cannot stop taking new orders because it needs the cash although it may increase the backlog by doing so. You may call it vicious circle, you may call it snowball system, it is like riding the tiger, not having control over the direction the tiger runs but also not being able to jump off.

Sounds pessimistic? I hope FTDNA proves my calculated pessimism wrong because I love the idea behind FTDNA. I really hope the best for this company.
    Last edited by E19463; 1 May 2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by E19463 View Post
      it is like riding the tiger, not having control over the direction the tiger runs but also not being able to jump off.
      Your analogy describes a process that is out of control. One of the functions of management is to control business processes.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
        I wanted to let everyone know that I have some news on the backlog issue at the lab.

The initial problem started late last year with a supplier ceasing production of a certain product that lead to the lab having to purchase and upgrade equipment as well as test and confirm results with the new processes. This was not communicated until well after the fact, and people were rightly upset.

This was right about the time of the holiday sale. So the backlog begins and then the sales volume increases. So every subsequent batch is also delayed. What has been happening is the sales have held strong and are at about the levels seen at the time of the holiday sale. The lab cannot keep up at the current state so the turn around time keeps growing. What is being done?

The lab is in the process of purchasing new equipment to increase throughput as well as hiring new staff. The goal is to decrease and eliminate the backlog and improve overall turn around times.

The IT department is also in the process of hiring new staff to help address bugs and improve the website. Customer service is also hiring as well.

-Darren
        Family Tree DNA
        What a bad joke you wrote. I just got a delay message for FF Batch 635.

Comment

Just got my 2nd delay message on FF batch 632

Comment

I heard from one of the lab contacts that Family Finder batches within the past five or so weeks are seeing about a two to three weeks delay from the norm. We should be seeing those soon though. I am sorry for this inconvenience.

-Darren
            Family Tree DNA

Comment

Darren, could you please update us on the status of Family Finder? The lab hasn't released any new results in very nearly a month now. It would be good if the customers were kept informed and told what exactly the issue is.

Comment

Originally posted by mattn View Post
                The lab hasn't released any new results in very nearly a month now.
                My most recent FF match dates:

Aug 7
                Aug 12
                Aug 16
                Aug 18
                Sept 1

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                  My most recent FF match dates:

Aug 7
                  Aug 12
                  Aug 16
                  Aug 18
                  Sept 1
                  That's not what this is about, those are transfers and reruns after August 7. August 7 had a lot of reruns also. This is about new Family Finder matches processed by the lab.

Comment

This is about new Family Finder matches processed by the lab.
                    Those are my newest FF matches.

Are you perhaps asking about new FF testers (i.e. kits)?
                    Last edited by gtc; 2 September 2015, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Darren, could you please update us on the status of Family Finder? The lab hasn't released any new results in very nearly a month now. It would be good if the customers were kept informed and told what exactly the issue is.
                      I am checking with the management team on this and I will let you know what I hear.

-Darren
                      Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                        I am checking with the management team on this and I will let you know what I hear.

-Darren
                        Family Tree DNA
                        Thank you.

Comment

FF Delays

I think what Mattn is speaking of is new FF tests in the batches. I know I had new FF results in batch 631 on 7 August. That was the last batch of new FF tests I've seen complete (or partially complete), but saw new FF matches on kits I have been managing at dates after that. Whether those were new tests or transfers I can't tell, nor what batches.

However in user groups we're seeing people from batches 632 and up reporting delayed results. Currently batch 639 is highest, but 637-639 don't show delays but the new reality of longer expected times to completion. Also some older batches still have unfinished kits.

So, the users are seeing big delays and not much in the way of informative communications on what has happened to cause this change. I don't think people are upset so much at the delays as from the lack of news.

Comment

Originally posted by densmoreb View Post
                            I think what Mattn is speaking of is new FF tests in the batches.
                            Yep, new tests coming through rather than new matches.

As for lack of communication, that's par for the course. If it weren't for Darren coming on here, there'd be zero news from FTDNA for the average customer ... apart from the next sale.

Project Admins sometimes get such explanations, but very few of them pass it on to project members.

Comment

I so agree with you gtc - it is the lack of knowledge that upsets me. I don't understand the mentality of FTDNA in keeping their customers in the dark.

Comment

Delay

Received my 3rd expected date of completion for a Family Finder kit received by FTDNA on July 24th, in batch 633, yesterday. I'm glad to learn, after calling FTDNA today, there is nothing wrong with my distant cousin's sample.

However, if FTDNA KNOWS turn-around will be delayed - as I was told on the phone today - why not simply inform the customer right up front. If the kit gets processed EARLIER than the expected due date - no customer is going to complain! They are going to rejoice at FTDNA's speedy and efficient service.

Meanwhile, our kit samples are being held hostage in some kind of poor customer relations game - a game I am about to opt out on for future kits - I have 30 FTDNA kits - I'm a great customer - please, can we have great customer service?

Comment

Working...
                                X