MyGroups conversion queries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyGroups conversion queries

After converting our project to MyGroups I uploaded a random photo to test. Can I now remove it, and if so, how? There appears to be very little guidance for using the new site after transition.

Removing photos

Originally posted by on the edge View Post
    After converting our project to MyGroups I uploaded a random photo to test. Can I now remove it, and if so, how? There appears to be very little guidance for using the new site after transition.
    Hi,I tried to upload a map and it looked fine on the post but as a photo it cut off most of the map. I had no way to delete as project administrator. I wasn't sure if this was due to the map being cut off and the delete/down arrow not visible. I contacted FT-DNA and they said that I should use the delete /down arrow. OOPS.

I have another request in. This will be important as we go through the myGROUPS growing pains. If GA's need to remove a post that doesn't match the intent of the site.. then we won't be able to. Once on the site.. how will we get it off?

K

Comment

Hi KAM,

This is something I brought up with Janine and she mentioned they were looking into adding something along these lines, but I don't have a time frame yet.

-Darren
      Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
        Hi KAM,

This is something I brought up with Janine and she mentioned they were looking into adding something along these lines, but I don't have a time frame yet.

-Darren
        Family Tree DNA
        I certainly hope this issue is resolved BEFORE live date on MyGroups. I have purposely waited til live date in hopes that the Beta testers will find and FTDNA will fix the problems.
        NOT being able to control the information on the page is a "biggie" to me as GAP administrator

Comment

I think I can assure you they won't have all of the problems fixed. I have reported several problems to Janine and I haven't seen many of them get fixed.

In my opinion FTDNA has come up with several ideas that seem to be only half way thought out. The IT staff doesn't appear to understand how the idea should work and then they mess up something else as they try to install it.

The Learning Center - how long has it been in Beta? They had a very helpful FAQ and now they have a unfinished Learning Center. Why not finish it before starting something new.

The new Trees - Still full of problems.

Groups - Those of us (admins) who cared about a way for project members to communicate had already put something in place that puts new messages into their email. No need to log into FTDNA to read new messages when there may not even be any. They stick a message in telling you that you have new matches. You go look at the new matches and the message is still there with no way to delete it. Are they wanting us to stayed signed in all of the time? Are they trying to full their servers with useless messages?

I could go on but I'm sure you have the idea by now, if you didn't already.

I really feel sorry for the call center. We get tired of them telling us, "Yes there is a problem. It is being worked on." But what else can they tell us. They cant't go fix the problem.

Comment

Let's say someone posts a picture to my projects MyGroups of "John Smith." Not the real surname but you get the idea. There are 15 subgroups in my project, over 200 members. Do I have to then answer 200 inquiries who want to know how John Smith in the photo fits into their family?

Suppose I have one member who makes a habit of posting WITHOUT specifying which subgroup family their post relates to, or inferring it pertains to lines which are actually proven by DNA to be unrelated. How do I remove their posts and block them from posting? This is a very real concern. It will happen in one of my groups the very first day it is rolled out.

Not every member of every project is DNA literate enough to understand that they are not related to everyone in their Project or to everyone with their surname. Making it easier for them to communicate directly with each other is NOT a good idea. That's why they need project administrators to guide them.

Don't even get me started on what this is going to do in the projects that include some autosomal-only members who are still struggling to understand just the basics of how to get started. I'm thinking it might be best to kick out all of those folks and return to being YDNA Projects only.

Comment

Originally posted by KAM View Post
              I have another request in. This will be important as we go through the myGROUPS growing pains. If GA's need to remove a post that doesn't match the intent of the site.. then we won't be able to. Once on the site.. how will we get it off?

K
              This is my biggest concern. We need to be able to remove posts and block posters. I suppose we can kick them out of the group but that hasn't been needed under the old system. But then how do Group Admins find the time to monitor? I can barely keep up with the admin duties I have now.

Comment

Admins can delete posts.
                I accidently did so while removing old coupons posts.
                In the right hand corner of each post is a small arrow? icon.
                Click on that and you can delete, edit etc..

I dont think its up to the Admin to answer every email, others in the group might be willing to chip in with help.
                Of course you can turn the Activity Feed off.

I also include a listing of the groups, with members lineages for each seperate group in my project on the "Results" page in the "About" section.
                You can maybe specifiy in this section why one group is not genetically related to another group.

There is a FAQs page you can opt to have included in the "About" section.
                You can have some simple FAQs relevant to your project in this page.

I generally only have yDNA test in my projects.
                If someone has only Autosomal results, I ask them to test for yDNA as a condition of joining. If after a certain period they do not I remove them.

Comment

Working...
                X