Replace missing release form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace missing release form

A new customer in one of my projects is showing with No Release Form. He thinks he included it with his kit. How can we replace it? Can he download a copy and mail it in separately? Sign it online?

Thank you,
    Doris Wheeler

They used to let you "sign" it online but I think they took that feature away. He can download the form and mail it in.
    https://www.familytreedna.com/forms/...lease-form.pdf

Comment

Replace missing release form

Thank you for your prompt reply! I too remembered it being available for online signing.

Comment

As recently as Jan. 7, 2015, I had a kit that showed an alert for this - results could not be processed due to the release form not being signed. There was a link to a page to complete it online, as I recall.

Ask the new customer to check and see if he missed the link to sign electronically. If there isn't one, travers may be right that they've taken the option away since January. It doesn't seem logical for FTDNA to do that, without giving new instructions on how to fix the problem.

In late 2013, I had another kit that showed that alert, when I had actually witnessed the person completing the test and including the signed form; I mailed that kit myself. I emailed the help desk and they located the form, so that's another possibility - you or the customer could check with FTDNA, and see if it was "misplaced."
        Last edited by KATM; 1 March 2015, 12:09 PM. Reason: added to comment

Comment

Yes, on-line release used to be available. But in the last week on November 2014, when I needed that feature (the form was not mailed in), it was not available.

Either of you can just simply phone FTDNA Support. I did and I had no problems rectifying the issue.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
          When I phoned the Support I had asked whether on-line release was available, and the answer was no.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
            P.S.
            When I phoned the Support I had asked whether on-line release was available, and the answer was no.
            Interesting. I did note in my records the date for the kit that had the "no release form" problem, and I know it was taken care of online, January 7, 2015. Either the person you spoke to didn't know, or I was lucky with that kit. Hard to say.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
              Interesting. I did note in my records the date for the kit that had the "no release form" problem, and I know it was taken care of online, January 7, 2015. Either the person you spoke to didn't know, or I was lucky with that kit. Hard to say.
              My conversation was a little bit longer, I only tried to summarize it. The answer was no (as in not at this moment), and it was not along the lines that the feature would never be available again.

I phoned sometime between the 24th and 28th of November.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

When I received the last two kits that I returned, the green release form said "optional" so I didn't bother doing it! There was nothing stating how NOT signing the release would affect either account. Stupid. They obviously need to make it more clear. Does it affect all of your results? Or just your ability to participate in projects? These are things I need to know! Now.... with the 2 kits that I did NOT have the release form returned with, they happened to be for my still minor children, so I am definitely OK with limiting information that is "out there". My adult son is already participating in groups. Now... I DO have 1 more kit that needs to be returned for my father (or if he decides not to, I want my grandpa to do it). What happens if they don't return that damn release form? They are half way across the country so I have no control over whether they remember to sign and return it or not!

Comment

Originally posted by jsarnacki View Post
                  When I received the last two kits that I returned, the green release form said "optional" so I didn't bother doing it! There was nothing stating how NOT signing the release would affect either account. Stupid. They obviously need to make it more clear. Does it affect all of your results? Or just your ability to participate in projects? These are things I need to know! Now.... with the 2 kits that I did NOT have the release form returned with, they happened to be for my still minor children, so I am definitely OK with limiting information that is "out there". My adult son is already participating in groups. Now... I DO have 1 more kit that needs to be returned for my father (or if he decides not to, I want my grandpa to do it). What happens if they don't return that damn release form? They are half way across the country so I have no control over whether they remember to sign and return it or not!
                  If you are the one who paid, you can still phone support.

W. (Mr.)

P.S. That was the reason I had to phone... The kit owner has an Internet era habit , if it is OPTIONAL ignore it...

Comment

Originally posted by jsarnacki View Post
                    When I received the last two kits that I returned, the green release form said "optional" so I didn't bother doing it! There was nothing stating how NOT signing the release would affect either account. Stupid. They obviously need to make it more clear. Does it affect all of your results? Or just your ability to participate in projects? These are things I need to know! Now.... with the 2 kits that I did NOT have the release form returned with, they happened to be for my still minor children, so I am definitely OK with limiting information that is "out there". My adult son is already participating in groups. Now... I DO have 1 more kit that needs to be returned for my father (or if he decides not to, I want my grandpa to do it). What happens if they don't return that damn release form? They are half way across the country so I have no Icontrol over whether they remember to sign and return it or not!
                    Are you doing these DNA tests to find matches? Or just to see your ethnic breakdown in myOrigins? I think you can see your myOrigins results even if you don't sign the form. The form is necessary to confirm that you will allow your name and email to be shown to your matches, so your matches can contact you. If you don't fill out and sign the release, you will not be able to see any matches; in Family Finder, you also won't be able to compare your matching segments with matches.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to label the Release Form as "optional." Just reading it shows that it isn't, at least for anyone who wants to use the results for finding matches. The section after the signature, for Ancestors Country of Ancestry, is basically optional.

According to the green release form in a kit I now have, it plainly states (my bolding and underlining for emphasis):
                    "Unless I sign this Release Form, my personal information will not be shared with anyone who may match my DNA markers in any form, now or in the future."
                    also:
                    "If another party's genetic DNA sample is a relevant match to my DNA, I want FTDNA to release to them my name and email address or my mailing address if the email address is not supplied, together with such information about my DNA results that shows how we match, and I will receive the names and email or mailing addresses and relevant DNA results information of my matches in return."
                    and:
                    "I also understand that, regardless of whether or not I sign this form, in case I choose to join a project, all of my contact information will be shared with the administrator of any project I choose to join."
                    finally:
                    "I understand that FTDNA will share my name, email address and relevant DNA results information only with other persons who are a genetic match to me. . ."

All that seems clearly explained to me. They do direct you in the Release Form to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, to explain it further. You should read these before you sign, as by signing you are agreeing that you have read them.

If you are concerned about your minor children's info being available, you can give your email address as the contact and make a statement about how you manage their account. If you desire, you can use some alias for their name that would show in their profile. You only need to complete the form for them if you want to use their DNA results to be available to compare against others in your family, and other customers.

For kits being done far away from you, the best you can do is to remind the test-taker to make sure that they complete the form. Otherwise, if they don't, you'll need to phone or email FTDNA help desk/support to get it done. I had two tests like this, with some elderly relatives who apparently forgot to include (or even do!) the form, but in those cases, at that time there was a way to complete it online when the test was completed. The two kits that had this issue would not display results without the release being signed.
                    Last edited by KATM; 9 March 2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I thought, maybe I am wrong and others that did not sign release form may be able to clarify, that not signing release form you also would not be placed in the matching database. In other words you would not have any DNA matches...

Comment

The form kept changing slightly over the years

A pointer to an earlier post with 2014 version of the RELEASE FORM - W. (Mr.)

Comment

Way more information there than on the Green Form/Slip included with my Kit or that of others I saw.

I had one Kit that apparently was sent in to FTDNA a year or so back without the slip, and no problem clicking online. Had not been worrying about that at all.

I sure hope folks are right, and that it continues to be the case, that if you were the one who paid, you can give the permission - would hate to pay the money for future kits and sweat whether they will sign and include the slip.

>>
                          On the other hand - seems to me slip I saw had lines for Ancestral Surnames on it. Do not see that on the one above.
                          Last edited by loobster; 12 March 2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Current Form

https://www.familytreedna.com/forms/...lease-form.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                              A pointer to an earlier post with 2014 version of the RELEASE FORM - W. (Mr.)
                              That's interesting. There's a new phrase "information about my DNA results that shows how we match." I remember being quite surprised (based on my experience at 23andMe) that Family Finder showed matching DNA segments when the old form simply said that "FTDNA will share only my name and email address." It didn't seem consistent with the way they treated Y results, where you learn you match 35/37 but you can't tell which markers differ.

Comment

Working...
                              X