No announcement yet.

Different Testers, Different Accounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Testers, Different Accounts?

I manage my father's FTDNA FamilyFinder test. I also took an autosomal test through AncestryDNA and want to transfer the results to FTDNA. Should I do so as a new user or using my dad's test number and associated account?

One account for one person.

Comment

@daysleeper47

Originally posted by Parameswara View Post
      One account for one person.
      That is the only correct answer

W.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
        That is the only correct answer

W.
        Thanks to you both!

Comment

I ordered a Y-DNA kit for my father under my acct.so I can manage it. I see that this was the wrong thing to do. How do I correct this and start a new acct. in his name? Does F.T. explain that this should be done when setting up accounts? If so, I never saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmcell View Post
            I ordered a Y-DNA kit for my father under my acct.so I can manage it. I see that this was the wrong thing to do. How do I correct this and start a new acct. in his name? Does F.T. explain that this should be done when setting up accounts? If so, I never saw it.
            Could you please provide more detail? For example:

Did you test yourself at FTDNA?

Did you order Y DNA test and a new kit using your name?

W. (Mr.)

Comment

I transferred my data from ancestry.com and paid the $39 to have full access to FF. Then I tried to order a kit for my Dad and it wouldn't let me as I'm not male. So I added his name and went through the purchase process still logged in on my acct. Today I got a response from FF about an inquiry I sent them. I found that my Dad has his own acct. and separate pw. However, both accts. have my email address since he doesn't have one. I understand after reading other posts that having one email for two accts. can cause issues when receiving emails from matches.

Comment

Please clarify same issue

I also transferred from Ancestry but then decided to have my Dad take the YDNA37 test. It would not let me order the test because it says it is it is only for males. How do you get around this? I would like to have his test results to all be under one kit ? Can that be done? How do I do it? Or are you going to have a different kit number for each test you order no matter what? Will you have a different kit number if you upgrade from YDNA37 to YDNA111?

Thanks in advance.
                Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by QuiltMom View Post
                  I also transferred from Ancestry but then decided to have my Dad take the YDNA37 test. It would not let me order the test because it says it is it is only for males. How do you get around this? I would like to have his test results to all be under one kit ? Can that be done? How do I do it? Or are you going to have a different kit number for each test you order no matter what? Will you have a different kit number if you upgrade from YDNA37 to YDNA111?

Thanks in advance.
                  Cindy
                  Each person has different DNA. Even identical twins have DNA that very slightly differs.

Thus each person should have a separate account.

One person can manage many accounts. That has nothing to do with projects.

The same e-mail address can be used in each managed account. And ordinarily it is not a problem. However, some people send e-mails to their matches that do not include any information/hints whatsoever to whom such an e-mail is addressed. For example, instead of starting an e-mail with
                  • Dear Mr. W., we match in Family Finder. or
                  • Mr. W., we have the same mtDNA haplogroup. or
                  • W., we match in 24 out of 25 markers.
                  they are sending
                  • We are matching! How nice!
                  If you are matching just a couple of kits, you can usually pretty quickly figure out which person and which test..., but with more kits distinct e-mail addresses make life simpler.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
                  Some people place management information in the profiles they manage, for example: this Bill C. account is managed by Hillary C.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmcell View Post
                    I transferred my data from ancestry.com and paid the $39 to have full access to FF. Then I tried to order a kit for my Dad and it wouldn't let me as I'm not male. So I added his name and went through the purchase process still logged in on my acct. Today I got a response from FF about an inquiry I sent them. I found that my Dad has his own acct. and separate pw. However, both accts. have my email address since he doesn't have one. I understand after reading other posts that having one email for two accts. can cause issues when receiving emails from matches.
                    Many people manage accounts for relatives and use the one email address.
                    I have about 12 accounts, all with my email address.

The only issue is when a match emails and does not mention who they are, who they match or on what test, yDNA, mtDNA, FF etc..
                    I email back, explain I manage many kits, ask if they can please tell me who they are, who they match and what test etc....

Comment

What to put in email?

Since I am new to FTDNA. Can you tell me what information that is helpful (for those with multiple accounts) to put in a email to help those find the exact account the email is referring to. Can you find the account with just the kit number? Thanks, Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by QuiltMom View Post
                        Since I am new to FTDNA. Can you tell me what information that is helpful (for those with multiple accounts) to put in a email to help those find the exact account the email is referring to. Can you find the account with just the kit number? Thanks, Cindy
                        No, ordinarily your account cannot be found with the kit number.

If you are matching someone, state that you are writing since you are matching in Family Finder (or FMS, HVR2, etc.) and add the name you can see in the matching profile. That is the step number one, helping them to identify their kit.

The step number two, would be adding information about yourself so they can find you . Some people have thousands of matches and providing relationship or genetic distance (for mtDNA or Y DNA tests) is a nice touch. And please, regardless whether you sign your e-mail using the name used in your profile or not, confirm the exact name used in your profile.

Relax and enjoy!

W. (Mr.)

P.S. For example, I am imagining that any of these names can be used in a profile
                        Cindy Smith
                        Cindy A. Smith
                        Cindy born Smith
                        Cynthia Smith
                        Cynthia A. Smith
                        Cynthia born Smith

Comment

Thanks to all for clarification.

Comment

Working...
                          X