Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK FTDNA?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UK FTDNA?

    I apologize if this has been asked and answered but here goes -

    Are the FTDNA tests for people in the USA only? I have someone in the UK that I would love to test. If he sends the money to me and I order the kit and receive the kit number then mail it to him, let him do his thing on it and return it to me and then I send it to FTDNA, is that allowed?

    Thank you.

  • #2
    He can order directly. FTDNA routinely ships overseas.

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh!

      Thank you, I had no idea. This is a perfect time due to the big sale.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hopefully he'll tell ALL his friends and family that they can test via FtDNA I really need some UK matches to compare with. Particularly people from Leicestershire and Somerset.

        Comment


        • #5
          Soon Ancestry is supposed to start selling to the UK, FWIW.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, but ancestry are still being restrictive. The change does not help those of us who are English but live elsewhere in Europe. Very short sighted approach.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ancestry are not going to sell in Australia either, so I will not be able to compare against the tests unless they all transfer to FtDNA. Since Australia was only settled 200 years ago and many emigrants only arrived up to 100 years ago, many ancestors within the last five or six generations are still in Great Britain so finding those matches would really help to work out the ancestor lines.

              Comment


              • #8
                FT DNA are doing a good trade in kits in UK and Australia as far as I am aware. I live in Belfast and know many people in our family history group who have tested, I have purchased over 12 kits myself. Other family members of mine have purchased kits from Australia.

                FT DNA are represented at family history fairs all over the UK and also in Irish Republic. The message is certainly out there. By comparison, I don't know anyone who has tested with 23andme and only one who bought an Ancestry kit through a friend in the US.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  FT DNA are doing a good trade in kits in UK and Australia as far as I am aware. I live in Belfast and know many people in our family history group who have tested, I have purchased over 12 kits myself. Other family members of mine have purchased kits from Australia.

                  FT DNA are represented at family history fairs all over the UK and also in Irish Republic. The message is certainly out there. By comparison, I don't know anyone who has tested with 23andme and only one who bought an Ancestry kit through a friend in the US.
                  I'm glad to hear it. I don't know if the message it out in Australia, I have had a few people ask me where you buy DNA tests after hearing that I have tested. But word of mouth is pretty good.

                  I have a few fourth cousins and one newly discovered uncle who tested with 23andMe. Luckily they uploaded to gedmatch or I wouldn't have found them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    FTDNA is certainly gathering appeal here in Ireland too, from what I hear it's the main one used because Ancestry doesn't post kits here and 23&me's postage is quite high compared to FTDNA!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      And this make testing at FTDNA even cheaper for us internationals, compared to 23&me, as they have a new discount coupon code good through Feb 28/Mar 1 for $15 off any product: 15for15

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        FTDNA run one of the most popular stands at the Who Do You Think You Are? show in London every year.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ohdee View Post
                          I apologize if this has been asked and answered but here goes -

                          Are the FTDNA tests for people in the USA only? I have someone in the UK that I would love to test. If he sends the money to me and I order the kit and receive the kit number then mail it to him, let him do his thing on it and return it to me and then I send it to FTDNA, is that allowed?

                          Thank you.
                          To answer the OP, I am from the UK and I ordered my AutoSomnal test through The Genealogist DNA website, then subsequent tests through FTDNA.

                          Unfortunately, from my experience, The Genealogist is just a reseller and does not add any value to the process, I would just compare the prices and use the cheapest.

                          Hope this helps.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Is FTDNA marketed in Germany?

                            A similar question: I'm in the UK and have used FTDNA to test several relatives, including one who is of completely German descent, but I see very few fully German names amongst matches. Is FTDNA actively marketed in Germany? Many US citizens have recent German origins so we could do with a lot more German data.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jonga View Post
                              A similar question: I'm in the UK and have used FTDNA to test several relatives, including one who is of completely German descent, but I see very few fully German names amongst matches. Is FTDNA actively marketed in Germany? Many US citizens have recent German origins so we could do with a lot more German data.
                              No, leider nicht.

                              Some years ago we had an aggressive banner and internet marketing from IGENEA, a Swiss Company, which does the testing with FTDNA. It was discussed a lot within German internet and print media. Mostly with negative results, because first serious ancestry researchers were not interested to know how many genetic percentages they have with population groups (this was the marketing appetizer of IGENEA) and second they have easily access to church books and archives as their origins are mostly from europe. Not every churchbook was destroyed in war times, so Germans do mostly the classical way of research with huge knowledge transfer in forums, group lists and history clubs of local areas.

                              Me too, with FTDNA Family finder I have from 142 matches just 5, who have german family or names (all distant, one connected), the rest of my matches are emmigrants to US, Australia and rarely other countries as Norway, Poland and Russia, where some of my ancestry possibly came from or mixed with. Same situation with Gedmatch.

                              Schade... but the database hopefully grows. I am still doing private advertising in forums, but at least a lot of German researchers are sceptical, because of data safety on their very personal gene data.
                              Last edited by Petra; 28 March 2015, 06:16 PM. Reason: translation

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X