Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LynCra
    replied
    Personally I would never use a telephone support line unless I had exhausted absolutely all other possibiliies to solve my problem I was just commenting that it surprises me that a customer service dept bases its service offering on office hours rather than considering customer demographics.

Baffled by the idea that the rest of the world may be using affiliated companies. I thought FTDNA was available internationally.

Leave a comment:

• dna
    replied
    I try to use a lighter form, but I believe there is something in my observations...

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
    I am not questioning the hours that an individual works. Is there some restriction on staggered shift work in Houston?

What I find strange here is:

1) the offer of telephone support only during office hours rather indicates that they assume that none of their US customers work. How many people can take time out of their own working day to hang on the phone to a help desk?

2) that a company that has an international customer base does not offer a 24/7 telephone support line. All it needs is one person to man the phone outside normal office hours and many of the frustrations that are expressed on this forum can be avoided.
    I do not work for FTDNA

1. I think that is related to the customer structure. Younger ones only use the web interface, while the older ones try to make a phone call if they are stuck - and they tend to be retired.

2. Those calling from the British Isles can do it after their working hours = there is no real problem. And the rest of the world is either served by FTDNA affiliate companies or they would be unable to converse about genetics in English.

W.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    I am not questioning the hours that an individual works. Is there some restriction on staggered shift work in Houston?

1) the offer of telephone support only during office hours rather indicates that they assume that none of their US customers work. How many people can take time out of their own working day to hang on the phone to a help desk?

2) that a company that has an international customer base does not offer a 24/7 telephone support line. All it needs is one person to man the phone outside normal office hours and many of the frustrations that are expressed on this forum can be avoided.
    Those are good points. Perhaps efgen can address them.

Since she wrote ""Staff will be answering emails and returning calls during the other business hours," it may be that they have some people who work outside those hours to give customers an opportunity to talk with someone when the customer is not at work. I don't know if that's true, but efgen can possibly clarify.

Leave a comment:

• LynCra
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Does America have a very different work culture to the rest of the world or are these short business hours specific to FTDNA?
    I don't regard those business hours as unusually short. The standard business day in the U.S. is 9 am to 5 pm for an office job, sometimes 8-5 if there's a lunch hour that's not on company time. I work a job from 8 am to 12 pm, an hour for lunch and then 1 to 5 pm.

Except for the Friday hours efgen listed, the other days are about the same as the standard. Plus, she also wrote, "Staff will be answering emails and returning calls during the other business hours." So, presumably there are more hours for FTDNA employees to work outside the hours she listed.

Leave a comment:

• LynCra
    replied
    Does America have a very different work culture to the rest of the world or are these short business hours specific to FTDNA?

Leave a comment:

• efgen
    started a topic New Inbound Phone Hours

New Inbound Phone Hours

Due to the volume of emails and phone calls we're receiving, the Customer Support inbound phone hours are changing effective immediately.

While we have more staff than we've ever had and are adding more, we also have more customers, so we have to balance calls and emails. Since it's next to impossible to answer emails while also answering phone calls, the inbound phone hours have been adjusted to:

Mon 9am - 4:30pm
    Tue 9am - 4:30pm
    Wed 9am - 4:30pm
    Thu 9am - 4:30pm
    Fri 9am - 12:00pm

Staff will be answering emails and returning calls during the other business hours.
    Last edited by efgen; 7 December 2014, 03:00 PM.
Working...
X