Most Common Surnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Common Surnames

I just noticed this afternoon when you first enter your FF results page I see Most Common Surnames very large at top of screen (see attached image). 3 groups. First Group is Red then Blue and then Green. I see this in three of my kits but not in the others yet.

I think it is showing the surnames that currently belong to our matches. But I cannot find any other information related to it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tlgarrison; 30 October 2014, 04:33 PM.

Not seeing that on my FF page.

Comment

Yes, I only see it on 3 of my 6 kits.

Comment

I noticed it on 2 of 6 kits I manage. It is visible on the kits with the most recent FF results (results came in last week).

Comment

I noticed it too just now. My cousin went in to see hers an the 'Most Common Surnames' not listed for her...

Comment

I see it on some project kits. Seems to be match surnames, not ancestral surnames, which could be more useful.

Comment

I guess the Red one on the left is the kits owner's surname. At least it is that way for the three kits that it is working within.

Comment

Yes, you are right. The one in red shows number of matches to your family name.

Then the family names with most matches in the descending order.

Comment

Is it a coincidence that I do not see the list when there are no matches with the same family name?

Comment

I think that is it. My other three kits are like that and they don't have the list.

Comment

Enhancement: better name matching in Family Finder

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=36125 in the Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Comment

I think this needs a better explanation.

I don't have a surname for any of my kits ie my user names for all my kits are simply the first name or initials?

The first number for my own kit is a red number with nothing next to it.

Also, I'm not sure I understand what the other numbers are. Are they the total number of a particular surname listed in all my matches surname lists?

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
                          I think this needs a better explanation.

I don't have a surname for any of my kits ie my user names for all my kits are simply the first name or initials?

The first number for my own kit is a red number with nothing next to it.

Also, I'm not sure I understand what the other numbers are. Are they the total number of a particular surname listed in all my matches surname lists?
                          Yes, you are right, I know next to zero about the new feature, since I have not seen any announcement or explanation and it is not covered in the new Page Tour.

However, I know enough about European genealogy to instantly realize that simple matching on a family name is too simplistic. Hence, my suggestion - before it is too late.

If I could edit the post, I would have tried to improve it. I might add another post in the thread once more information becomes available.

P.S. Our kits are the opposite, that is: Mrs. A. Smith, Miss B. Smith, Mr. C. Smith... OK, real names and initials are used

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                            However, I know enough about European genealogy to instantly realize that simple matching on a family name is too simplistic. Hence, my suggestion - before it is too late.
                            Not sure that this feature is really that useful, at least for those of us with lots of colonial Southern ancestors.

My father's top surnames (excluding his own) are Williams and Smith; his brother's are Williams and Jones.

Wish FTDNA would focus first on getting the trees fixed.

Comment

Surnames at top?

It is hard to see how this new feature is at all helpful. I suppose these are the surnames that appear most often in our matches that actually list surnames. So what? It doesn't appear to link to anything and takes up a good deal of space. It would be a better use of space to keep the full view as the default.

I am trying to be civil here, but it's not easy. Why in the world is anyone playing with this apparently useless feature, when the GEDCOM viewer is absolutely impossible and the cM statistics are still showing only rounded numbers?

Comment

Working...
                              X