FREE (Sneak Peek) Transfers - Helping each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FREE (Sneak Peek) Transfers - Helping each other

While the "official" announcement is yet to be made, FTDNA is taking FREE transfers from 23&Me (v3 only) and AncestryDNA.

As we have done in the past, with sale codes and links for referrals, let's help each other and use links of those hoping to unlock a transfer through referrals.

I will start by posting the link for my aunt's kit. This kit will help me bridge data to distinguish between my grandmother's line and my grandfather's. My grandfather's line is a mystery and dead ends, so we are hoping dna will help find a few answers.

https://www.familytreedna.com/autoso...rAYGJENA%3d%3d

Here's a summary of what I know about the transfers and process:

1. unzipped raw data files can be loaded.
    2. only raw data from AncestryDNA or 23&Me (v3) can be used.
    3. The process is easy and initially requires only the kit owner's name, a contact email and the raw data to upload.

4. The "catch" is that this is a preview, does not have full functions and is limited to the top 20 matches, but there is an estimate of the total matches that could be accessed.
    5. Matches cannot see the transfers until they are "unlocked".
    6. New transfers can join projects and projects can help fund transfers.

7. Full data and function can be "unlocked" by paying $39 OR by recruiting an additional 4 new transfers.
    8. The link copied from a new transfer is assigned a unique id and is what determines whether a referral is credited or not.

Questions remaining related to transfer credit (I'm sure there are more, but these are some I have seen):
    • What happens if more than 4 people use that one link?
    • What happens if someone tries to recruit more transfers and only has 2 or 3 of the required 4?
    • If someone has more than one family kit transfer and attempts to recruit for them, they have a few credited transfers, and then decide to "unlock" with a payment. Can the credited transfers be reassigned among kits belonging to the same person/email?

Originally posted by AngeliaR View Post
    1. unzipped raw data files can be loaded.
    Both zipped and unzipped work now

What happens if more than 4 people use that one link?
    They can all still transfer, but the extras beyond 4 are irrelevant as far as unlocking the full transfer for free.

What happens if someone tries to recruit more transfers and only has 2 or 3 of the required 4?
    All 4 are needed to unlock the full transfer for free. The link can be shared as many times as needed. Or the person can purchase the upgrade for $39 at any time, if they can't get the 4 transfers.

If someone has more than one family kit transfer and attempts to recruit for them, they have a few credited transfers, and then decide to "unlock" with a payment. Can the credited transfers be reassigned among kits belonging to the same person/email?
    We're not able to move transfer credits from one kit to another.

Elise
    Last edited by efgen; 18 October 2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Good Info

Thanks, Elise.

Good info to have.
      I am hoping to see a coordinated approach as we have seen for past offers and this may help people understand the system we will be using for transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
        The link can be shared as many times as needed. Or the person can purchase the upgrade for $39 at any time, if they can't get the 4 transfers.
        Elise
        Is that the official word . . . that it can be upgraded for $39 at any time? Or, is there a time limit to this offer? I already manage 5 FF tests that are original to FTDNA, but am trying to unlock just one single kit from Ancestry. I have recruited 2 transfers so far and have emails out to my Ancestry and GEDmatch folks with whom I've been corresponding. Not all of them check their mail daily. I can be patient and wait if the $39 offer isn't leaving soon because ultimately I'd love to see a much bigger database here. But, I certainly would want to take advantage of the lower transfer fee if it's going to expire before my contacts take the opportunity to upload.

Comment

Originally posted by ShellyH View Post
          Is that the official word . . . that it can be upgraded for $39 at any time? Or, is there a time limit to this offer? I already manage 5 FF tests that are original to FTDNA, but am trying to unlock just one single kit from Ancestry. I have recruited 2 transfers so far and have emails out to my Ancestry and GEDmatch folks with whom I've been corresponding. Not all of them check their mail daily. I can be patient and wait if the $39 offer isn't leaving soon because ultimately I'd love to see a much bigger database here. But, I certainly would want to take advantage of the lower transfer fee if it's going to expire before my contacts take the opportunity to upload.

Hi Shelly,

The $39 price change is permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by TaylorT View Post
            Hi Shelly,

The $39 price change is permanent.
            That is great news! Thank you for the confirmation.

Comment

Just one more

Need just one more to unlock this kit
              https://www.familytreedna.com/autoso...QJwWEMQw%3d%3d

Thanks!

Comment

Will these free transfers from 23andme have a special kit number indicator for us to recognise?

Comment

Originally posted by Bartot View Post
                  Will these free transfers from 23andme have a special kit number indicator for us to recognise?
                  We don't see kit numbers on Family Tree. It would be nice for those of us who have actually tested with Family Tree to see some kind of notation that the new kits are transfers from Ancestry or 23&Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
                    [----] It would be nice for those of us who have actually tested with Family Tree to see some kind of notation that the new kits are transfers from Ancestry or 23&Me.
                    Could you please elaborate why?

I was under the impression that the results come from the same process, so it does not matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X