Free Autosomal transfer offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
    Hmm, I'm on Firefox 33.0, but Windows XP. I checked my laptop, which is Windows 7, and the Chromosome Browser is OK there. Also the Unlock for Free button is not working on my XP and I see no way to pay the $39. On Windows 7 I can see a banner across the top that says 75% complete and a hyperlink to Unlock All Matches.
    Hi Ann,
    Yeah they don't make the $39 so obvious. I clicked on the free part and then it showed to pay for 39.

My Mom's finished processing at around 4 am (by time on the email). I had sent her file around 10:00 last night. BTW, the login link on that email does not work like you said earlier! So I just went to the login screen the usual way to get in.

About 12 of her new matches are not known to me, so that is interesting. My *guess* is they are Colonial. I say this because of some of the Ancestral surnames and places that I can see. No one has a tree uploaded. I can see everyone in chromosome browser and the matrix. I'm on the latest version of Firefox, Chrome has been acting up for me all around recently. I'm also Windows 7. SO now the wait for the rest!

Comment

First 20 results questions. observations

Initial thoughts:

Hyperlink from email still wrong (extra I "family")

Where are the top 3 match surnames coming from? Anyone know? Why wouldn't the one with the most incidents be first? My friend had listed "Taylor 3" "Brown 14" "Johnson 6" (First view the last one was "Hall 6"; within 5 minutes it's changed).

Interesting that you can chromosome browse, but not perform "in common with" even amongst the top 20?

I needed to do this for a beginning genealogy class I'm leading later today; will probably upgrade to $39.

Comment

Really? Are They Sure?

I tried to use the free link yesterday and it said I had already requested the transfer. I found that interesting because I had never tried to use it before, I haven't tested with Ancestry and my 23andMe test is V2 which won't transfer the last I knew.

Of course I can't tell what they think I transferred or from where. Nothing about the transfer shows in my order history.

Comment

Originally posted by justagen23 View Post
          Initial thoughts:

Hyperlink from email still wrong (extra I "family")

Where are the top 3 match surnames coming from? Anyone know? Why wouldn't the one with the most incidents be first? My friend had listed "Taylor 3" "Brown 14" "Johnson 6" (First view the last one was "Hall 6"; within 5 minutes it's changed).

Interesting that you can chromosome browse, but not perform "in common with" even amongst the top 20?

I needed to do this for a beginning genealogy class I'm leading later today; will probably upgrade to $39.
          Use the matrix to see who are in common matches. You should definitely upgrade to $39. You can't beat that price for this kind of test. Except on GEDmatch of course! (Though not all of my matches that are here are on GEDmatch, so I'm interested in it for that.)
          Last edited by Táltos; 17 October 2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Using links posted by others for free upgrade

People are starting to post the links generated by the Unlock for Free button. I assume they do get proper credit for their own account. What happens if more than four people use someone's link?

Comment

They will probably blow up...

People how now started reporting that when they have made four referrals they now get the info that 7 is required...? Haven't seen a screenshot so I can't say if it's for real or a joke/mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertp View Post
                You don't need to feel annoyed. Leave that to us that paid nearly $300 for a Family Finder test a couple of years ago
                LOL fair point.

Comment

Says not able to transfer?

I did do the Geno2.0 test & the Ancestry DNA test. I transferred the Geno 2.0 some time ago.
                  Is this why it tells me:
                  "Free Autosomal DNA Transfer cannot be added because it already exists or is not allowed"
                  That is the only transfer I've done. Just curious.

Comment

I am already a customer but just transferred data for another person. This is a fantastic preview and the transfer was easy and quick, only about an hour to an hour and a half wait. I can see that people who take advantage of the transfer preview will want more. Well done, FTDNA.

I am really liking the surname count feature on the matches page. Is this something that FTDNA can make permanent for all FamilyFinder users?

Is the $39 price for a limited time or a new price?

Thank you.

Comment

I think it may be a permanent price. I haven't heard of any time limit.

I think it makes sense for all of us to participate in AncestryDNA (with a tree), which is a totally different experience & then persuade one's closest matches there with a leaf hinted MRCA to do the autosomal transfer to Family Finder.

Most of your 4th or 5th cousins won't share enough DNA with you to appear as a match in Family Finder. A few of them will. The above suggestion is a good means of locating those 4th or 5th cousins who have already been proven to share DNA.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

What is the surname count ? Does this mean that people who have not bought Family Finder are getting more useful functionality than those that have paid for the full product from FTDNA?

Comment

The surname count feature on free preview for aDNA transfers

Yes, and it's a cool feature that should be permanent, IMO. There's a banner above the matches list that gives a surname count of the top three surnames found within the results of the preview matches (there are twenty). This information, I assume, is being pulled from the surname list of the twenty matches, which transfer preview people are able to see.

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
                          What is the surname count ? Does this mean that people who have not bought Family Finder are getting more useful functionality than those that have paid for the full product from FTDNA?

Comment

Thank you, Timothy.
                            Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
                            I think it may be a permanent price. I haven't heard of any time limit.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

So if I am understanding this correctly people can do a cheap transfer which gives them better functionality than the rest of us have and gives them access to our information and gedcoms if we are in their top 20, whilst we have no idea that they exist.

If that is the case, then it is not a good move to keep existing customers happy and encourage them to invite more family and friends to test.

Comment

Firefox / XP problems addressed

I previously reported that the autosomal transfer results weren't behaving well when I viewed them with my usual Firefox / Windows XP browser combination. Functionality has been restored.

Comment

Working...
                                X