Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New FTDNA "Change for the sake of changing"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New FTDNA "Change for the sake of changing"...

Saw a report that FTDNA now have changed BAM download so instead of now giving a link for download (which you can forward to YFull so they can download and process it, you usually don't need this very large file yourself) you now instead get a *button* for download.

This means that you can't let YFull download your file without giving them your login/password, something you shouldn't do. You now need to DL that gigabyte file yourself, then upload it to DropBox or a similar utility and then send a link to YFull so they can DL the file from DropBox.

I wish FTDNA could fix what needs to be fixed instead of putting resources to break things that are working...

I note from a report of their Annual Conference that FTDNA has recently been beefing up its access controls and data security generally. Perhaps this is a byproduct/casualty of that exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by tommypeters View Post
      I wish FTDNA could fix what needs to be fixed instead of putting resources to break things that are working...
      I believe I have heard a similar suggestion a few 100 times.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
        I note from a report of their Annual Conference that FTDNA has recently been beefing up its access controls and data security generally. Perhaps this is a byproduct/casualty of that exercise.
        Could be. But since FTDNA knows the common use for the BAM file they should have kept the link solution but added a specific username/password only for that DL link. The customer could then send the link to YFull (or other analyzing company) as before, with the addition of the username/password created specifically for only that link.

Comment

Could be. But since FTDNA knows the common use for the BAM file they should have kept the link solution but added a specific username/password only for that DL link. The customer could then send the link to YFull (or other analyzing company) as before, with the addition of the username/password created specifically for only that link.
          Sounds like a good use for this form:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=36007

Comment

Saw a report that FTDNA now have changed BAM download so instead of now giving a link for download (which you can forward to YFull so they can download and process it, you usually don't need this very large file yourself) you now instead get a *button* for download.
            While they were fiddling with buttons, they appear to have gotten rid of the red "Awaiting Results" button that takes one to the "Awaiting Lab Results" page.

I can't imagine why they would have done that, except for perhaps they don't want us to see a bright red reminder everytime we log in that our tests are late by months and months and months.

Comment

The original problem here is not with Family Tree DNA, but with security and privacy and the other company.

Let's consider the above items one by one.

For security reasons, it is better that nobody, but the DNA owner accesses any data within FTDNA.

It is a better privacy, when nobody but the DNA owner accesses any data within FTDNA. If the DNA owner wants to share her or his results with somebody else, then it is her or his decision and she or he can do whatever she or he wants with the data residing on her or his hard drive.

The other company could allow an upload of data to them, the same way one is uploading to let's say Dropbox service. I understand that not everybody wants or is skilled enough to use let's say Dropbox services.

P.S. So FTDNA gets from me two thumbs up for the action and one down for not communicating with the user base.

Comment

This change was made for two key reasons:

- Security/privacy
                - Faster turnaround for BAM file requests.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                  This change was made for two key reasons:

- Security/privacy
                  - Faster turnaround for BAM file requests.

Elise
                  Good goals. I was able to access my BAM file within a few hours of my request. I didn't figure out that I needed to uploade it to Dropbox for transfer to YFull until a couple of days later. A note to that effect at both FTDNA and YFull would have been helpful.

Jim

Comment

Does the new button work like the raw data download buttons for Family Finder?

It would be nice to be able to use Chrome to transfer the file directly to Google Drive, but that won't work if they're using javascript to initiate the download.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
                      Does the new button work like the raw data download buttons for Family Finder?

It would be nice to be able to use Chrome to transfer the file directly to Google Drive, but that won't work if they're using JavaScript to initiate the download.
                      That might be convenient, but not necessarily desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                        That might be convenient, but not necessarily desirable.
                        I desire it.

If the file is going to end up on cloud storage anyway, there's no more risk in 'downloading' it directly to the cloud using an SSL-protected connection behind two-factor authentication than there is in downloading it to a physical device and then re-uploading it to cloud storage.

In fact, it would seem that the latter, which involves more transfers of the file across questionable networks and at least one copy of the file residing on a possibly compromised device, actually presents more potential security holes.

Comment

I am not a lawyer

The issue is not security per se, but FTDNA liability. If FTDNA allows only direct customer access, then the customer can only blame herself or himself if sharing her or his data.

And if we want to debate good vs. evil aspects of passwords stored in the cloud, we should go to a different forum.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                            I am not a lawyer
                            Are you sure? You seem to have a need to find fault with every single post you encounter.

In any event, you're obviously not a web developer, either.

The issue is not security per se, but FTDNA liability. If FTDNA allows only direct customer access, then the customer can only blame herself or himself if sharing her or his data.

And if we want to debate good vs. evil aspects of passwords stored in the cloud, we should go to a different forum.
                            I am not talking about "passwords stored in the cloud", nor did I ever suggest FTDNA give anyone aside from the customer direct access to the file.

Let me try again so you can grasp it:

Right now, I can utilize a browser called Google Chrome to 'download' a file to my Google Drive (from whence I can choose to share it with a third party or not) instead of to the device from which I am accessing the website; however, that functionality is broken with the way FTDNA currently uses javascript to initiate the download (for the FF data, anyway).

I'm not sure if there's another way for FTDNA to feasibly serve up the file, and I'm sure there's probably a third-party extension for Chrome or another browser that will provide a workaround, but it would certainly be nice to be able to download my (very large) file directly to cloud storage (without the use of a third party extension of questionable provenance) instead of having to download it to a device and then reupload it.
                            Last edited by Sarmat; 14 October 2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Sarmat, my apologies.

I would like to apologize to everybody I have offended or not treated fairly.

Comment

Working...
                              X