Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have they done now??? Family Finder Relationships Completely Changed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have they done now??? Family Finder Relationships Completely Changed!!!

I just logged in as group administrator and checked a kit of a member and it appeared that the 1st page of his matches was missing. It took me a few minutes to realize that they were in a completely different order, and those matches who had been closest were now on the second page. I took a look at my mother's results and some of her matches who used to be on the second page have been moved up to first place, right under her family members. Anyone know what's going on???

My mother's 3rd cousin has moved way down the list to the second page. He was her closest match outside of me and my first cousins. He is almost the only match she has with whom common ancestors could be definitely identified, and he is the only match who shares 2 segments over 10 cM with her, and a 3rd over 6 (39.36, 13.21, 6.75).

(I have noticed that 23andMe seems to attach a lot more importance to secondary segments than FTDNA does.)

Comment

Something strange going on for me too, including some where the relationship range is completely blank.

I am also one of those lucky ladies being offered a Y-DNA test.

When are they going to learn to test before putting changes into production?

Comment

I think mom's 3rd cousin was in the correct position as closest in relationship after her niece and nephew before this change!!!

Comment

I just checked my own account and a known 3rd cousin on my father's side has likewise moved from his position right below my parents and 1st cousins to the bottom of the second page!

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
            Anyone know what's going on???
            It appears that they have changed the default sort order from “Longest Block” to the obviously imprecise “Relationship Range”.

Comment

Originally posted by phje View Post
              It appears that they have changed the default sort order from “Longest Block” to the obviously imprecise “Relationship Range”.
              Sorting by longest block is not an option; I can't remember whether it was before. Also, I have a little chat box at the bottom right, but it says:

"We appreciate your patience while we help other users. Please check back for the next available agent."

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
                Sorting by longest block is not an option; I can't remember whether it was before.
                It is, and has been, under the "Sort By" drop down box at the top. The options are Name, Match Date, Relationship Range, Shared cM, Longest Block, Y-DNA Haplogroup and mtDNA Haplogroup. Before when you logged in it was automatically set at Longest Block now it's set at Relationship Range.

Comment

It is, and has been, under the "Sort By" drop down box at the top. The options are Name, Match Date, Relationship Range, Shared cM, Longest Block, Y-DNA Haplogroup and mtDNA Haplogroup. Before when you logged in it was automatically set at Longest Block now it's set at Relationship Range.
                  Thanks--I usually just sort on the columns and, since longest block was the default, never saw it there! I'll have to check it in the future.

Comment

I actually believe that the sort order always defaulted to Relationship Range (I know I used to just switch between Match Date and Relationship Range from the column headers). It appears that range algorithm has changed or been broken and the current order doesn't seem to make any sense.

Comment

As far as I can figure out:

The old default sort order was longest block.

When you clicked on the "Relationship Range Link" instead of using the drop-down box, which is what I always did, it sorted the list by longest block, and matches were back in the original default order. This must have been a bug, although a very convenient one, as you didn't have to use the drop-down list.

I prefer the former default order, and I prefer an easy to click link to a drop-down list to sort by longest block. I never sort by relationship.

Comment

I'm seeing it too. Matches are grouped by relationship range (which I think has been the default), but within the range it is NOT grouped by:

Name
                        Longest Block
                        Total cM
                        Match date
                        Ancestral names

If there is a sorting here, I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by cctftdna View Post
                          I actually believe that the sort order always defaulted to Relationship Range (I know I used to just switch between Match Date and Relationship Range from the column headers). It appears that range algorithm has changed or been broken and the current order doesn't seem to make any sense.
                          For the clickable column header the default is, and has been, Relationship Range. For the "Sort By" drop down box at the top the default was Longest Block and is now Relationship Range. If you change the "Sort By" drop down box back to Longest Block your matches will appear as they did before today.

Comment

A little information to users in advance of this type of change would reduce the level of frustration and ccomplaints.

Comment

For the clickable column header the default is, and has been, Relationship Range.
                              I actually believe, looking at it again, that it was set at Longest Block, but that the column header for it is not visible.

It would be nice if we could get some clarification on what has happened and if it was an intentional change or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X