Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's not the purpose of DNA testing

Originally posted by dna View Post
    Oh, dear GST, we all have drawers full of family pictures from 19th century and earlier. The new Tree Tool just gave us an opportunity to share them with the fellow researches...
    I'm not here to look at your photo album. The purpose of a DNA testing site is to help us try to track down ancestors. The photos not only contribute nothing to that effort, but they greatly impede it. There are plenty of other avenues for photo sharing without destroying the tools we need for DNA research.

Comment

• Dear Susan!

I am sorry, my comment on pictures from 100+ years ago was a sarcasm... I should have placed a warning there. In the heat of the moment, my sarcasm sounded perfect to me, while clearly it was not... I wrote it right after reading a post about someones problems with their European ancestry and thinking about pictures lost in both World Wars. And yes, my opinion is that the pictures themselves bring negligible benefits to the tree, while creating problems with navigation.**** Females in a pink/reddish background, and males with blue background would be just lovely!

And I made my general position about the new tool very clear in an earlier thread On tree tool: a decision that needs to be reconsidered and possibly reversed... you had possibly missed.

P.S. On the other hand, more than once, I connected separate family branches, when we realized that both branches had copies of the same wedding/group photograph(s).
      Last edited by dna; 28 September 2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Removing tree

How do I delete my family tree?

Comment

• Icon image Solution

How about a simple user Option to TURN OFF the icon images.

This should make the tree LEANER, but, I don't know about MEANER

So we ALL can stop whining and get back to Genealogy and Genetics

Comment

• Icon Image Solution #2

Of Course We ALL know that with just 5 mouse clicks of the '-' in the lower right corner those 'Offending Images' are gone.

Adding the Pink and Blue background/outline would be a positive enhancement...

Comment

• Originally posted by PennyToo View Post
              How do I delete my family tree?
              Go to the bottom of the right hand side of the family tree screen. There is a gear wheel icon, click on it, and you'll find a delete tree click on, right under adding a GEDCOM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jkuehn8 View Post
                Of Course We ALL know that with just 5 mouse clicks of the '-' in the lower right corner those 'Offending Images' are gone.

Adding the Pink and Blue background/outline would be a positive enhancement...
                Yes just some minus clicks gets rid of the round circle icons, and gives us small squares with names. Still have to click on the square to find out locations but it does bring more of the tree into view at one time. But it doesn't give you the ability to go any farther up the tree as no additional generational information button appears. Oh, well
                And the dates on the tree don't show up anymore.

Comment

• Thanks again for the all the feedback! We've released some exciting updates to the Family Tree. Here are some of the major highlights:

- Added a "Detailed Mode" setting. Enabling "Detailed Mode" hides pictures and shows full names, birth dates & location and death dates & location.
                  - Fixed a bug where some deceased people were mistakenly marked living. You should now see more deceased people on your matches' family trees.
                  - You can now search for any name when uploading a GEDCOM. Before, you had to choose a name from a pre-defined list.
                  - Added the ability to share a link to your family tree. You can now easily share it via email, Facebook, etc.
                  - Added the ability to search by birth and death location. Before, you could only search for names.
                  - Renamed Family Tree to myFamilyTree to avoid confusion.
                  - Added a 1-time callout for new users to try "Ancestry Mode". This mode shows your direct ancestors and descendants for up to 15 generations.
                  - Fixed a few issues that were causing some users to not be able to use the family tree.

Comment

• Thanks. This does seem to have resolved quite a few of issues that have been worrying users.

Still having problems with:

- Some deceased ancestors, including many generations back, appearing as private
                    - Long surnames being chopped off at the end
                    - Only 4 generations available in the default view
                    - Too many clicks to get to where we need to be for efficient research.

Comment

• Not showing much useful information at the start of life either. Baptismal dates not shown at all and birth dates which have been set up as "Bef" baptism date do not seem to show either.

Comment

• Search has improved considerably but does not pick up on middle names. Example: Searching on "Ann" would find:
                        - Susannah Chator
                        - Thomas Dann
                        but would not find
                        - Sarah Ann Corbett

Comment

• This is better but still requires a great deal of scrolling/dragging. At the risk of being a broken record, a horizontal pedigree orientation would save space and provide more information.

Comment

• Given that so much space has been wasted, there is no significant additional risk in being a broken record. Horizontal pedigree display that can easily be captured or printed is where we want to be. The rest is trivial.

Comment

• I am still seeing a huge number of ancestors marked as private. It looks like anyone without a death date is deemed living no matter when they were born or how many generations back they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by graycan View Post
                                I am still seeing a huge number of ancestors marked as private. It looks like anyone without a death date is deemed living no matter when they were born or how many generations back they are.
                                I'm seeing the same--many obviously deceased ancestors marked as private.

Comment

Working...
                                X