New Tree Tool ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't see the forest for the trees

Ancestry should stay out of the DNA business. FT-DNA should stay out of the family tree business.

And never the twain shall meet. (Can I hear an "amen"?)

FT-DNA's idea to make it possible for us to connect matches to a tree was good, but the application of the idea was foolhardy, badly designed, and poorly executed. The beta testing period was way too short for a project of this size. Perhaps they meant well, but it's not good.

I've read on these forums that the hope was that more people would upload their gedcoms... I don't think that is gonna happen.

In fact, I'm inclined to remove mine. Especially since I see so many people on my tree who shouldn't be visible at all. I'm not sure I trust them with my tree anymore.

I've been on the community forums of Ancestry and FT-DNA a lot lately. Both of them need to stop this silliness and let us get on with our research.

k.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoofusBroadway View Post
      Ancestry should stay out of the DNA business. FT-DNA should stay out of the family tree business.

And never the twain shall meet. (Can I hear an "amen"?)
      A-men!! (Though I fear it's too late...)

Comment

• Originally posted by WCoaster View Post
        Originally Posted by GoofusBroadway View Post

And never the twain shall meet. (Can I hear an "amen"?)A-men!! (Though I fear it's too late...)
        I don't agree. I would very much like a tree function that would be able to link matching cousins by surname to the appropriate place on the corresponding trees.

I do suspect that the link will have to be very carefully made in order to not do any damage to the data.

My 2 cents.

Comment

• As I have said before, I would like to see Family Tree DNA do two things with trees:

1. Retain the old gedcom based tree that participants uploaded, with the same formatting, etc.

2. Have a new global tree, similar to the one they have created that everyone can access, that includes a DNA component. Data is entered once & after that, anyone who looks at the tree can see it, unless it is marked private.

With #2, the soundness of generational links could be noted. Alternate data could be included, with the hope that DNA will help sort out which alternative is right.

If participants wish to ignore #2, that would be their choice.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

• I just logged into my account for the first time since the new tree tool was installed. The old family trees were great and I've confirmed 21 matches. The new trees are horrible and I have no clue how to use them. It seems like it will at least 10 times as long to find a common ancestor and I'm worried that some lines may be missing or I'll forget to check because of the weird format. Are some ancestors being listed as "private" when they used to be available? I thought this was going to be a new, separate feature that would allow you to show a connection with your matches and possibly list hints of possible relationships.

Comment

• Known Issues & Common Requests

Folks,

The same issues that have already been acknowledged keep getting posted Some are bugs that will definitely be fixed. Others are requests that we've documented and are being considered.

Please see the updates in the following thread:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...348#post391348

Elise

Comment

• Originally posted by efgen View Post
                Folks,

The same issues that have already been acknowledged keep getting posted Some are bugs that will definitely be fixed. Others are requests that we've documented and are being considered.

Please see the updates in the following thread:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...348#post391348

Elise
                Thanks, Elise--it's good to know that changes are being considered. I do think, though, that it's important for FTDNA to know the breadth and depth of continuing concern regarding the new tree. I also note that the last update was on Sep. 10? Anything new since then?

Jim

PS--getting rid of the icons to save space has also been a frequent concern.

Comment

• Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
                  I also note that the last update was on Sep. 10? Anything new since then?
                  See the last post in that thread -- it was first posted on Sept 10, but I've been editing it. Just added some additional info today.

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
                  PS--getting rid of the icons to save space has also been a frequent concern.
                  By icons, you mean the photos/silhouettes? I wouldn't expect those to be removed since they're central to the design of the new tree. However, I believe some adjustments are being made to make it easier to view more generations at a time on the screen -- and that seems to be the key concern.

Elise

Comment

• Originally posted by efgen View Post
                    By icons, you mean the photos/silhouettes? I wouldn't expect those to be removed since they're central to the design of the new tree.
                    Elise
                    Yes, that is exactly what I mean and if you review the comments you will see that there is a general objection to their presence and a view that they add nothing useful. The purpose is completely unclear to me.

If they are central to the design, then IMO the whole design needs to be rethought.

Jim

Comment

• The designers show little understanding of user needs if the icons are central to the concept. Not only are the pictures superfluous, they are a hindrance to working efficiently with the new tree. If you read the comments you will see that they are a major source of irritation. It is disturbing to see that several people are starting to remove their trees and saying that they will be thinking twice before buying new kits for relatives they were previously planning to test.

Comment

• My sense of the discussion, and based on my own experience as a committed genealogist for over 50 years and holder of a doctorate in genetics, is that the most important functionality for the Family Tree is the capability to upload a simple GEDCOM file and display it with an easy-to-use (default) "horizontal pedigree view". This view, as imagined for Family Tree and as actually seen on several other internet sites mentioned in this and related threads, shows names, dates, and places, and needs to be easy to print with only one or two clicks. Without that functionality, the rest of the "design" is not helpful and seems to be pushing customers away.

John McCoy
                        ([email protected])

Comment

• Paternal and Maternal Lines

As the manager of only two kits, I am finding the trees to be just as useful as the gedcoms, except for the ancestors being private.

I am having one issue which I haven't seen referenced: I can't use them for X-matches because generally the parents are private (as they should be) and I don't know which one is the father and which one is the mother. A lot of trees I am viewing show the match person with the parents and the 'tree' symbol on each parent. Whichever I click to expand places that parent as a child on the right hand side of their spouse. If I click the spouse's tree icon to expand their tree the couple switch places and the newly selected spouse is where the other one was.

So if I wish to look along the X-lines or the MTDNA line I don't know which one I am seeing if the first generations are private. The male/female silhouettes do not show.

Comment

• Originally posted by larzus View Post
                            I am having one issue which I haven't seen referenced: I can't use them for X-matches because generally the parents are private (as they should be) and I don't know which one is the father and which one is the mother.
                            I'll report this, thanks!

Elise

Comment

• Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
                              Yes, that is exactly what I mean and if you review the comments you will see that there is a general objection to their presence and a view that they add nothing useful. The purpose is completely unclear to me.

If they are central to the design, then IMO the whole design needs to be rethought.

Jim
                              I agree, and perhaps FTDNA can take a poll of customers and see how many find the photos useful for genealogy. It would be much better to display the key factual information, with the option of clicking on the person to see the photo.

Comment

• I can live with any display. But to be productive (at least in ancestry view), I need the number of clicks to be as small as possible and the amount of data to be displayed to be as large as possible. Any improvements to get more names on a display page and reduce clicks (which is what I have to do to find geographic info for any person) will be welcome.
                                Also, I have been forced to sue a chrome browser (my ie 11 hangs when I do any search from the match page) and I have to zoom to 67% to see the family view/ancestry view switch in the lower left corner. (it never shows with just hitting +/- display buttons).

Comment

Working...
                                X