New Tree Tool ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date of Birth?

Hi, very new to all this, and I never saw the previous way the tree's were displayed, so have nothing to compare against.

However,I do have one question. I downloaded my GedCom file from ancestry.co.uk and when I upload it to FTDNA, it appears that the vast majority of my profiles have lost their D/O/B? I have these all recorded on my tree in Ancestry and a very few have copied over but most haven't?

Has any one else had this problem? Is it worth deleting the tree from FTDNA and trying again?

Comment

• Originally posted by PeterLarsen View Post
      To navigate the trees I now Zoom out the actual browser window using key combination CTRL + "-" a couple of times.
      Depressing Ctrl on the keyboard while scrolling the scroll wheel on the mouse is a convenient alternative for zooming in and out of any webpage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
        2. Make the default view a pedigree
        I prefer the default Dropline tree view which is the most popular traditional view for family historians here in England. I would say that a Pedigree view would be a nice option to have, but the default should remain how it is.

Trevor Rix

Comment

• When looking through family trees of my matches, I only see names for 2 or 3 generations and then all the names are private. Is that something they have set, or is it just the way the tool works? It seems to me that the further back the tree is visible, the more matches I can find.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor View Post
            I prefer the default Dropline tree view which is the most popular traditional view for family historians here in England. I would say that a Pedigree view would be a nice option to have, but the default should remain how it is.

Trevor Rix
            I respectfully disagree. A horizontal pedigree display with resized boxes would be much easier to navigate. As a project administrator I tried today to compare two members' trees. Because the surname is common, many of our project's connections are made on the basis of shared locations. Unfortunately, I had to give up because of the time-consuming and inefficient zooming, dragging and clicking required. Such comparisons are very straightforward on sites with horizontal pedigree displays such as Ancestry and Gedmatch.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
              Originally posted by Trevor View Post
              I prefer [----]
              I respectfully disagree [----]
              Users have wildly differing needs. That will ultimately force FTDNA to incorporate full genealogical functionality into the software... See my comment elsewhere on that.

An example. In the webinar that introduced the feature, it was mentioned that there is no way to list adoptive parents, since they are not genetically related. Well... That is of course true. However, from my research experience, before adoptions were institutionalized (time-frame varies between the countries), either one of the adoptive parents was almost certain to be a sibling of one of the parents or the adoptive mother was the grandmother... Also just eliminating adoptive parents breaks correspondence to the original GEDCOM... Etc., etc...

Comment

• Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
                I respectfully disagree.
                Thanks for your thoughts Jim. I suspect that a good compromise could be three views.

Family View (dropline) because it is traditional, logical, includes siblings and emulates my favourite view in Family Historian.

Ancestry View (dropline) because it includes more generations making it easier to navigate larger trees and refocus on the descendants of an ancestor.

Pedigree View (sideways) which would be more compact and faster to navigate.

It would be good if it were possible to select a person in any of these three views then switch to another view with the selected person still as the focus.

I agree with the comments that point out that the silhouette icons are an unnecessary waste of space that would be much more productive if used to display full names and locations.

Trevor Rix

Comment

• Matching Tab in the New Family Tree Tool

I was wondering what the matching criteria is for Y-DNA, mtDNA, and Family Finder with the new Family tree tool.
                  I have looked at my matches and I really don't think any of them are accurate. I have tested to 111-markers for Y-DNA and I have only 1 match and it is a 12 marker match? Am I supposed to be able to see anything from my matches on the drop down matches list, nothing is clickable. So I can see that I am supposed to match them somehow but I can't even see an email address. What good does is it that I can see a match but can't look at anything for the person I am supposed to match. My mtDNA and FamilyFinder matches are just as messed up.

I understand that this is a new product but really nothing about even works. I don't even match my parents or siblings.

Comment

• I just went to upload a new updated gedcom, it doesn't work.

It says 100% but then sits there still saying "Your gedcom is being uploaded please wait". Nothing happens no matter how long I wait - waited for at least 20 mins. Checked to see if it had uploaded or not but it was still the old version. Decided to try again, this time deleting my original tree in hopes it would force it to update. Nope. Same thing happens and now I have no tree at all.

Any advice? I'm using Chrome, should I try a different browser?

Comment

• What with my current weak WiFi-type internet connection, I don't know where to place functional blame. But I managed to upload a tree, and then make some additions, etc. My tree here at FTDNA is mainly for the entertainment of people I match (481 the last time I looked). My tree has "brass rings" to grab onto for doing their own research. If someone is really interested in my tree, they can contact me, and I'll offer to connect them to my more complete Ancestry.com tree.
                      Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 16 September 2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Well, it's not the browser because it does the same thing in IE.

It's not my wifi, I have a full signal and very fast broadband.

I already do offer matches an invite to my complete tree on Ancestry.com (I just upload my pedigree to FTDNA) but I always find research easier when people have a tree here at FTDNA so I want people to be able to see mine.

I'm going to attempt to create a new gedcom in case there is something wrong with the file itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Germanica View Post
                          Well, it's not the browser because it does the same thing in IE.

It's not my wifi, I have a full signal and very fast broadband.

I already do offer matches an invite to my complete tree on Ancestry.com (I just upload my pedigree to FTDNA) but I always find research easier when people have a tree here at FTDNA so I want people to be able to see mine.

I'm going to attempt to create a new gedcom in case there is something wrong with the file itself.
                          I had the same thing happen over the weekend. I exported out 3 different version of gedcoms from Family Tree Maker and I could not upload any of them. I use Chrome but then I tried IE (newest version) and then FireFox and the same answer for each. I even used the developer tools in chrome and could see that the FTDNA upload process was throwing an error that you can see in the console view.

Then yesterday I tried it one last time and it finally worked. Not sure what is going on but it is not on your end!

Comment

• Originally posted by tlgarrison View Post
                            I had the same thing happen over the weekend. I exported out 3 different version of gedcoms from Family Tree Maker and I could not upload any of them. I use Chrome but then I tried IE (newest version) and then FireFox and the same answer for each. I even used the developer tools in chrome and could see that the FTDNA upload process was throwing an error that you can see in the console view.

Then yesterday I tried it one last time and it finally worked. Not sure what is going on but it is not on your end!
                            Thanks, hopefully that means it will get resolved soon.

Comment

• Privacy settings

Originally posted by GeorgeMouchet View Post
                              When looking through family trees of my matches, I only see names for 2 or 3 generations and then all the names are private. Is that something they have set, or is it just the way the tool works? It seems to me that the further back the tree is visible, the more matches I can find.
                              They are blocked by the default privacy settings of the new tree feature. Since the new tree was implemented, many people who previously were displayed are now "private." This happened to the trees I had posted. The people who posted the GEDCOMS need to change the privacy settings; they probably aren't even aware of the problem, so you'll probably need to contact them.

Comment

• Upload Gedcom?

Is everyone able to upload their trees (gedcoms) now?

The last few times I have tried it showed just myself and 1 other person (the wrong person) . Any thoughts for why?

Thanks - can't wait to get my tree out there!

Cindy

Comment

Working...
                                X