"Blended"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Blended"

I'm a bit confused on the new My Origins feature.
    I am listed as just over half European Coastal and the other half European Plains, with percentages listed. Makes sense.

However, when I scrolled to see the explanations of these two different designations, I noticed while they are listed separately, there is also a third category that is called "Blended" that encompasses these two.

So, my question is, do my separate designations in these two groups qualify as "blended" or, would FTDNA have listed me as "Blended" in my results if that is what they meant?

There are slight differences between the original groups, and then the "Blended" version.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Toms View Post
    I'm a bit confused on the new My Origins feature.
    I am listed as just over half European Coastal and the other half European Plains, with percentages listed. Makes sense.

However, when I scrolled to see the explanations of these two different designations, I noticed while they are listed separately, there is also a third category that is called "Blended" that encompasses these two.

So, my question is, do my separate designations in these two groups qualify as "blended" or, would FTDNA have listed me as "Blended" in my results if that is what they meant?

There are slight differences between the original groups, and then the "Blended" version.

Thanks!
    They are listed together (blended if so): Here is an example of the European Costal Islands and Costal Plains blend:

The blend (this person has been assigned as part of the European Costal and Plains Blend).

This person, just European Costal Islands

This person, just European Costal Plains

And in some cases like mine, a person can be assigned to both, and not be considered in the blended cluster:

Regarding the European Costal Islands and Costal Plains blended cluster: "This cluster is likely to show up the further south and east one goes in England, as it is in this region that the genetic influence of Anglo-Saxons and assorted outsiders was stronger because of historic connections to the European mainland." ..

Matt.
    Last edited by mkdexter; 8 May 2014, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
      They are listed together (blended if so): Here is an example of the European Costal Islands and Costal Plains blend:

The blend (this person has been assigned as part of the European Costal and Plains Blend).

This person, just European Costal Islands

This person, just European Costal Plains

And in some cases like mine, a person can be assigned to both, and not be considered in the blended cluster:

Regarding the European Costal Islands and Costal Plains blended cluster: "This cluster is likely to show up the further south and east one goes in England, as it is in this region that the genetic influence of Anglo-Saxons and assorted outsiders was stronger because of historic connections to the European mainland." ..

Matt.
      Matt,

The images are not showing up, at least in the browser (Chrome) that I am using. I am full of questions about how the determinations work, are they looking at single SNPs, long segments, etc.

I thought my family was interesting.
      I show as Coastal Islands 10, Coastal Plains 0, Northlands 69, Northern Mediterranean 22
      My wife shows as Coastal Islands 60, Coastal Plains 27, Northlands 0, Northern Mediterranean 0, Trans Ural 14

Our son shows as Coastal Islands 53, Coastal Plains 0, Northlands 27, Northern Mediterranean 0, Trans Ural 20

Comment

European Costal Islands cluster:

European Costal Plains cluster:

Blended European Costal Islands and Plains cluster:

Mine with both, but separately reported and not one blended cluster. This is probably because I have Irish, Scottish and German . Of course I'm just a mix of all kinds of stuff.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mkdexter; 8 May 2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
          Matt,

The images are not showing up, at least in the browser (Chrome) that I am using. I am full of questions about how the determinations work, are they looking at single SNPs, long segments, etc.
          Single SNPs. In this case, the SNPs that are Irish will appear European Costal Islands. British will vary as to which map. West German and North Eastern France will be European Costal Plains. As we all know, this is an area that has tons of variations for just these sample sets. Depending upon the readings and mix, the system will determine one, two or blended clusters for this area.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all for your answers.
            I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
              Single SNPs. In this case, the SNPs that are Irish will appear European Costal Islands. British will vary as to which map. West German and North Eastern France will be European Costal Plains. As we all know, this is an area that has tons of variations for just these sample sets. Depending upon the readings and mix, the system will determine one, two or blended clusters for this area.
              Matt, I emailed you, hopefully to a current address. I think the MyOrigins above give a clue to how we relate. I checked my hypothesis out with a 4th cousin and it fit that surname. So at least not busted on the first test.

Comment

Working...
              X