New Pop Finder/MyOrigins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native American

Does anyone think FT just doesn't have enough population data for Native Americans to give a percentage. I have several matches just like myself who I know have a percentage of Native AM and it's not showing for them either.

One thing we seem to have in common on our percentages is a percentage in the Afghanistan area.

These same matches who are GEDmatch have their Native Am showing up there just like I do.

Also, I did the Ancestry test and my Native is on there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
      Does anyone think FT just doesn't have enough population data for Native Americans to give a percentage. I have several matches just like myself who I know have a percentage of Native AM and it's not showing for them either.

One thing we seem to have in common on our percentages is a percentage in the Afghanistan area.

These same matches who are GEDmatch have their Native Am showing up there just like I do.

Also, I did the Ancestry test and my Native is on there too.
      I have low NA amounts in 23andMe (1.4%) and AncestryDNA (1%) but myOrigins didn't pick it up. It does pick up 2% African, which 23andMe says is 1.4% and Ancestry says is 2%, so that is very close. McDonald gave me 1.6% for both NA and SSA.

MyOrigins is showing some Middle East for me which was not there before, 5% Anatolia & Caucasus, and 1% North African Coastlands.

Overall in myOrigins expanded view I have:

European Coastal Islands 41%
      European Northlands 27%
      North Mediterranean Basin 17%
      European Coastal Plain 6%
      North Circumpolar 3%

Anatolia and Caucasus 5%
      North African Coastlands 1%

East African Pastoralists 2%

Previously in PF I had 65% Spain and France, 35% Russia and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by peterebay View Post
        Where may we see a list of the reference populations and the number of reference persons in each of those populations?

Does anyone show a heat map over Spain or Portugal? If so, would you please share it?

I have many people in my project with African ancestry but none show any shading over Guinea-Bissau or Gambia. I'm interested in knowing if any ethnic groups from those areas are included in the reference populations.

Thank you and sincerely, Peter

Peter J. Roberts
        Peter here are the reference populations from the webinar.
        Attached Files

Comment

twiglette, the question was asked during the webinar if the heatmaps are individualized. I took some notes, and to paraphrase:
          • Heatmaps are in a static location - not customized. What is customized is, depending on your percentage, the heatmap can be darker or lighter.
          • Concentric bands on heatmaps have to do with concentrations, highest proportion of affiliation with that region in darkest center, etc.

Other points I noted:
          • Speculative matches are not included (5th to distant)
          • Also shows matches with "balloon" markers, for maternal and paternal lines (based on people's countries entered)
          • Expanding the bar for main region shows sub-regions
          • Can click on sub region bars & get description
          • Read full narratives for more information
          • White paper to be released soon, will have more info
          • Your stated ancestral locations were not looked at. Results are based on your autosomal DNA.
          • Hopefully will be adjusted over time, to add more reference populations & areas, as info becomes available.
          Last edited by KATM; 6 May 2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Prev Pop Finder

Originally posted by vinhill View Post
            95% ECI
            3% ME(Anatolia and Caucus
            1% CSA (Eurasian Heartland)

Guess my 12% on paper German/French is buried in there somewhere. My fathers family is very dark haired, hairy,brown eyed and olive skinned . He was 75% Irish and 25% German/French on paper. But his fathers nickname was "Turk" because of his looks.
            Prev Population Finder was 88% Orcadian and 12% Middle Eastern

Comment

The old population finder overstated my Orcadian at 80% and downplayed my Polish maternal side.

myOrigins seems more accurate.

European 100%

Expanded to:
              European Coastal Islands 56%
              Trans-Ural Peneplain 44%

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
                twiglette, the question was asked during the webinar if the heatmaps are individualized. I took some notes, and to paraphrase:
                • Heatmaps are in a static location - not customized. What is customized is, depending on your percentage, the heatmap can be darker or lighter.
                • Concentric bands on heatmaps have to do with concentrations, highest proportion of affiliation with that region in darkest center, etc.

Other points I noted:
                • Speculative matches are not included (5th to distant)
                • Also shows matches with "balloon" markers, for maternal and paternal lines (based on people's countries entered)
                • Expanding the bar for main region shows sub-regions
                • Can click on sub region bars & get description
                • Read full narratives for more information
                • White paper to be released soon, will have more info
                • Your stated ancestral locations were not looked at. Results are based on your autosomal DNA.
                • Hopefully will be adjusted over time, to add more reference populations & areas, as info becomes available.
                Thank you!

Comment

Well, I went from a big blue blob of Western European which included the British Isles but nothing in Scandinavia at 97.82% with a + or - 7.53% margin of error to 100% European broken down as 57% European Coastal Plain, and 43% European Northlands. The blobs now don't cover any thing from Ireland, England, or Scotland but do show Scandinavia.

So how far back does this test go? And when do we get an description of what the blobs of European Coastal Plain etc, mean.

I'm glad a kept a copy of the Beta test results, because those combined with the myOrigins test actually do cover where my family came from.

My brother's test went from 91.55% +or- 8.49% margin of error Western European plus 8.45% Europe (Finnish, Orcadian, Russian) to 100% European with 76% European Coastal Plain and 24% European Northlands. But again the British Isles don't show.

Comment

I like the way the information is presented but these mother-daughter results left me a little perplexed

Comment

I did a quick change over on the option on sharing ethnic backgrounds and did a quick run through of my cousins, most of them are also 100% European, so I check one of them more closely and his ancestor pinpoints in the middle of the English Channel. I'm wonder what ancestor he might have that lived in the English Channel? A mermaid.

It will be nice to get an explanation of what the maps mean and what all the features are etc. Like most distant ancestor??

Until I find out a bit more, I'm just going to ignore the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
                        It will be nice to get an explanation of what the maps mean and what all the features are etc. Like most distant ancestor??
                        There are two articles available in the FTDNA learning center regarding myOrigins:

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...try/myorigins/

Comment

Yes, I did expand the map (switches from Red to Blue; goes from European to European Coastal Plain). It shows 100% "European Coastal Plain".

Originally posted by Mudgeeclarke View Post
                          Did you "expand all"? I was showing 100% European until I realized there was an "expand" button ....
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm an adoptee. I have supposed based on an an earlier thread that I have one Ashkenazi grandparent. (The thread is here http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=33052). How reliable is the assumption that a full Ashkenazi person would result in about 2000 matches and that the number would be halved each generation back?

My earlier PF results were:

72.77% Western Euro (French and Orcadian)

20.57 & Middle East (Bedouin, Druze, Agydei, Jewish, Palestinian)

6.66% African (Yoruba, Mandenka, Bantu Kenya, Bantu South Africa)

Now, MyOrigins shows me as:

83% European. (43% North Mediterranean Basin, 21% Euro Northlands, 15% Coastal Islands, 4% Trans-Ural Peneplain)

10% Jewish Diaspora

5% African (Niger-Congo Genesis)

3% Central Asian Heartland

Did the Mediterranean European category swallow up my earlier Middle Eastern results? I've heard of Ashkenazi/Italian confusion before.

Any thoughts on the Trans-Ural and Eurasian Heartland stuff?

Comment

I love it. It is better than Pop Finder!

Comment

It's way better than Mozabite+ Palestinian .

Comment

Working...
                                X