My Heritage offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ads

Nothing bothers me more than unsolicited mail in my inbox. I didn't do testing from FTDNA to get on a mailing list. It makes me question their business practices.
    A simple note on the home page of the website would have been sufficient in my opinion. Time oriented pressure tactics are a clear signal to me it's probably not an exceptional deal.
    No spam thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by knightowl View Post
      Nothing bothers me more than unsolicited mail in my inbox. I didn't do testing from FTDNA to get on a mailing list. It makes me question their business practices.
      A simple note on the home page of the website would have been sufficient in my opinion. Time oriented pressure tactics are a clear signal to me it's probably not an exceptional deal.
      No spam thank you.
      I agree with you 100% knightowl

Comment

Is there an alternative partnership with a firm with lots more British Isles records?

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
          Getting emails through FTDNA from 3rd party "partners" is Spam.

How can I opt-out from receiving these emails?
          It's the kind of SPAM that you aren't sure how much other junk will appear in you inbox if you "unsubscribe".

Comment

Originally posted by royfarnol View Post
            Is there an alternative partnership with a firm with lots more British Isles records?
            Hi,

We do have UK affiliates. I will ask about possible deals...

Comment

Originally posted by knightowl View Post
              Nothing bothers me more than unsolicited mail in my inbox.
              1) I wish FTDNA was my biggest source of spam.

Comment

FT DNA & MyHeritage

Hi All,

Can FT please confirm that test results, research or personal information will not be made available to MyHeritage without permission.

As has already been said - offer open until Feb 9th - clearly is meant to pressure folk into committing. If its such a good offer why the rush ?

George

Comment

Good offer - I do not see tricks

The offer is till 9. of Februar and it´s much cheaper (nearly 50%), than you would subscribe to their normal conditions or their own clients would get, if they want to prolong their ending contract (about 40%). So it´s a good deal.

And: it´s the same as the price reduced X-mas sales of FTDNA: it´s a marketing tool and offers are limited to some days... Or sales weeks in supermarkets a.s.o. So I do not see the problem? If one can´t decide within 3 days, just leave it.

I am happy that FTDNA has this partnership. I will use this offer for the second time. Besides I am a happy customer of MyHeritage (and not working for them ;-), because I like the handy and easy to use website, the tree tool, their tools for checking census data, church books a.s.o. and in comparison to ancestry, their privacy terms are better and more transparent.

I do not think, that FTDNA give any data from us to my Heritage. In the past I wasn´t spammed with mails. And why should FTDNA leave them data of our DNA tests? That would not make any sense for their own business.

Grüße von
                  Petra

Comment

From what I can work out, FTDNA don't give any dna data to My Heritage, you have to input the data manually, and only for Y-DNA and/or mtDNA and your hg via the offline software Family Tree Builder, and this is what is in the help section.

"DNA-related information is stored encrypted in the Family Tree Builder database. Such information is never published to a family site, nor is it contained in an exported GEDCOM file."

Comment

RootsMagic also partners with MyHeritage. Some said MyHeritage was a scam, so everyone started asking questions and the list administrator announced that the subject was off-topic, so I never learned anything certain. The BBB had complaints about them.

Wikipedia said MyHeritage was owned by a company in the Middle East, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to trust them with my credit card and personal info. And apparently they become the owners of everything you post there.

I would prefer it if genealogy sites like this (including Ancestry), accepted PayPal and did not automatically renew subscriptions. There appear to have been problems with subscription cancellations and refunds at MyHeritage.

All in all, I don't know if I trust this company.

Comment

My Heritage

I assumed from the email that FamilyTreeDNA partnered with My Heritage and that FTDNA was going to start using My Heritage for their family tree software instead of the existing clunky interface. I also thought that I could "connect" my DNA profile to the My Heritage family tree, similar to Ancestry family trees and AncestryDNA. I bought the 99.00 offer and do not see any way to link with FTDNA, I think it is a waste of time and money. Buyer beware. The 800 support number listed earlier in this thread is for World Vital Records with no answer during US business hours.

Comment

Meh

I have been completely unimpressed with MyHeritage. First, the deal that FTDNA did with them last year was not beneficial at all. I had thought, as someone else mentioned, that there would be more integration between FTDNA information and MyHeritage. That really wasn't the case. Later, I decided to give them a shot and signed up for their service - only to find out that if I wanted to do any searches of their database, I had to also pay for the DATA subscription. So I cancelled. Then, just recently, 23andMe came out with a partnership with them, where they are shutting down their trees, and transferring everyone to MyHeritage. People don't seem to be too pleased with that.

Aside from the unexpected billing issue, I also thought that MyHeritage had a fairly poor interface and it not the most useful site. It seems to have a more novice user-base too (I could be wrong on that, but that's my impression). If only we could combine the best parts of all the players, and dump the rest!

Comment

I'm happy with my Heritage..!

I've dealt with myHeritage for 7-8 years . They are a good company and helpful. Their smart matches is an excellent tool as is their offline Family Tree builder that synchronizes with your online tree if you want it to.

They offer free family tree up to a limit of people in the tree. This makes it attractive to a lot of people, especially in Europe and hence helpful to find smart matches.

They used to offer data searches, timeline tools, etc for free but now you have to pay.
                            I've seen FTDNA products offered on their site but found it more expensive.

Comment

Working...
                            X