Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekly Information Technology/Engineering Update (2 Jan 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekly Information Technology/Engineering Update (2 Jan 2014)

X-Chromosome Matching at FTDNA (P1 of 2)

This week’s big release is X-Chromosome matching. We have fully integrated it into Family Finder matching.

Here is the menu link to the Family Finder Matches menu.

On the Family Finder Matches page, there is a filter to show only X-Matches.

When you use the X-Match filter on a male Family Finder kit, you
    should get only matches from the maternal X-Chromosome.

Next, like other Family Finder Matches you can expand the advanced bar for a match and click to add the match to the Compare in Chromosome Browser list.

Matches are added to the Compare in Chromosome Browser list. You could go right to the Chromosome Browser by clicking on the compare arrow at this point.

Next we can also go right to the Chromosome Browser.

The Chromosome Browser also lets you filter the match list by X-Matches.

Here are three immediate relatives. The first two share X-Chromosome DNA. The third (green) one does not.

When we scroll down to the X at the bottom, we see that X-Matching is displayed for the first two but not the third.

Weekly Information Technology/Engineering Update (2 Jan 2014)

X-Chromosome Matching at FTDNA (P2 of 2)

Moving to the Advanced Matching page, X-Chromosome matches have also been integrated.

X-Match is an option that can be checked alongside other types of testing.

I will let everyone know when this is pushed live. Enjoy! Please let me know about questions, bugs, or improvement requests!

Comment

Clear Your Browser Cache

Hi,

X-Chromosome matching is now live for Family Finder! If you have not lately, you will need to clear your web browser cache to have X-Chromosome matching works.

Comment

X-Chromosome

I'm so excited to see this discussed here. I was just asking questions about it last night because the X-Chromosome is all new to me. I've been studying the Y-DNA, mtDNA, and the Autosomal DNA and somehow I missed out on reading about the X-Chromosome. I'll be reading and trying to understand everything that is said about it. Thanks again, I'm really excited about it and learning all about it.

Carolyn Dunlap Franklin

Comment

X match

My father has 35 pages of matches but only 4 women showing via X match and 2 of those are myself and my sister. Does this mean that every other match belongs to his paternal line or am I missing something?
          Many thanks.

Have just checked my results. I connect to both my parents. Also to 3 other pages. So, this means it is showing my paternal grandmothers X as well as my maternal grandmothers X?? Is there a FAQ where this is explained?
          Last edited by Brewerton1949; 2nd January 2014, 02:24 PM. Reason: extra question

Comment

Originally posted by Brewerton1949 View Post
            My father has 35 pages of matches but only 4 women showing via X match and 2 of those are myself and my sister. Does this mean that every other match belongs to his paternal line or am I missing something?
            Many thanks.
            Nothing of your fathers X comes from his father. He get his X from his mother only.

Comment

Excellent! I see 18 X chromosome matches so far! The browser is not loading yet, but that is ok it's starting! Some look surprising and are giving me more incentive to transfer my Mom's data to here, just to make sure. Only cuz some that I would swear would have been my cousins through my father's Lithuanian and Polish lines (paternal) now clearly are not. Though obviously my paternal grandmother would be the candidate. My Mom has some surprising Eastern European matches at the other site. I don't want to take anything for granted now!

EDIT- I just cleared the cache like Rebekah suggested. I can use the X chromosome browser now. Only thing is 10 matches show here not all 18. When I go to the Advanced Feature I can see who all of the 18 are.
              Last edited by Táltos; 2nd January 2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Threshold

Which matches the threshold for X-chromosome, 7 cm?

Comment

Thank you for this long-waited feature!

It is very nice that on the Show all matches page - the X match is indicated by a text X-match.

At the same time when downloading the Excel file - this information is missing.
                  I would expect just as the data for longest segment, total segment, haplogroups of Y-DNA and mtDNA, is downloaded in the file, there to be a column indicating a X match

Comment

Originally posted by Pillar_of_fire View Post
                    Thank you for this long-waited feature!

It is very nice that on the Show all matches page - the X match is indicated by a text X-match.
                    I would expect just as the data for longest segment, total segment, haplogroups of Y-DNA and mtDNA, is downloaded in the file, there to be a column indicating a X match
                    Yes, it would be awesome if the actual x-match cM total was included on the Show All Matches page.

+1
                    Please add column indicating x-match (with cM) in downloadable file.

Thanks.

Comment

To Peter

Many thanks for reply. I have checked several men in my project and they all have very few x matches. I wonder if the info is just coming through. I can't believe that of 35 pages 99% of them belong to his paternal line.
                      I need a chart to understand this!!

Comment

Originally posted by kaa76 View Post
                        Which matches the threshold for X-chromosome, 7 cm?
                        Not sure if all the bugs are worked out yet, or in other words if we might see these matches no longer as X matches? For example one X match that I have only matches my X for 1.43 cM and 600 SNPs. As a guide my known cousin who my great grandmother (maternal) was the sister of his maternal grandmother we share 20.15 cm and 975 SNPs. So far that is my biggest X match.

At any rate thank you so much FTDNA for this new feature!!

Comment

Resources

Hi,

KATM posted some useful links in the X-Chromosome Basics forum a few weeks ago.
                          http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=33866

Those new to X may want to check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewerton1949 View Post
                            Many thanks for reply. I have checked several men in my project and they all have very few x matches. I wonder if the info is just coming through. I can't believe that of 35 pages 99% of them belong to his paternal line.
                            I need a chart to understand this!!
                            It is a bit complicated to understand. I assume you did a typo above, but its from his maternal, not paternal, line his X matches comes from, but not the from 1 straight line. Your fathers mothers X can be from both of her parents

Comment

There is some bug in the report

I have access to my father's n112135, my father's sister 285857, a first cousin of theirs 274489 kits

When I run my father's sister kit 285857 advanced matches - X match - my father, me, their first cousin, we all appear as private on the results page.

when I run my father's sister kit 285857 advanced matches - FF - we appear normal and the relevan data is visible - such as haplogroups etc.

How it is possible the same kits to appear with two different statuses based on the type of advanced matching selected.

I went to the My account - Matches and e-mail settings - there is nothing for X matching

Thanks
                              Last edited by Pillar_of_fire; 2nd January 2014, 02:58 PM. Reason: added a line

Comment

Working...
                              X