Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekly Information Technology/Engineering Update (4 Dec 2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbarr10
    replied
    downloading autosomal match data

Hello Rebekah,

I am so glad you are on the job and somebody is listening. As a sys admin of an autosomal DNA project I have some requests.

I generated the chromosome table at the link in a cumbersome way:
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....osomeTable.htm

From the GAP interface, I clicked FF Illumina OmniExpress Results, then for each member listed, had to click the "Run Report" arrow then click the button "Download all CM data for so-and-so." Then I developed a back end software library to process all that data and generate the table.

Any way to make downloading of all that data simpler? We have only about 3 dozen people in the autosomal project now (up from eight nearly 2 years ago) but I anticipate much more growth and we are going to need orders of magnitude more data anyway before matches really start to make sense. I don't want to have to click 1000 arrows or even 100 arrows to be able to access each project member's data for download.

The chromosome table as I am presenting it now is clearly unsustainable. In a future version of my table generator, we want to identify those segments along which there are the most matches and present those.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• royfarnol
    replied
    Please put the latest items first in the weekly report and store the earliest item last.

Leave a comment:

• emyr
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
    Hello,

I am told that all media files have been moved and turned back on. It should be possible to download raw data and upload GEDCOM files again.
    Rebekah,

Thanks so much for the updates! I really love the new feature that allows us to download all of our matches through chromosome browser. However, I am getting an error message when I try to download the raw data for a kit that was just processed yesterday. Do you think this is just a problem with my specific kit or is there still an issue with the system?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Rebekah Canada
    replied
    Media Files

Hello,

I am told that all media files have been moved and turned back on. It should be possible to download raw data and upload GEDCOM files again.

Leave a comment:

• Táltos
    replied
    Hello,

That is bad. :-( Could you please send me a note with the kit number by e-mail, [email protected]?
    Sure will email you now thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Rebekah Canada
    replied
    Cyrillic alphabet

Originally posted by Táltos View Post
    Thanks for the updates. I am having a problem though, it is with my some of my Family Finder matches profile display. When their name is written in Cyrillic alphabet or if they have a longer name it is covering over their email address and I cannot read it. I haven't checked in my brother's kit yet about this so not sure if it is a problem there too.
    Hello,

That is bad. :-( Could you please send me a note with the kit number by e-mail, [email protected]?

Leave a comment:

• Rebekah Canada
    replied
    Media Server Change

Originally posted by COTEX View Post
    Is this also preventing gedcom uploads??
    Hello,

Yes, we are still working on the media server change. It is the reason for the GEDCOM upload problem.

Leave a comment:

• Táltos
    replied
    Thanks for the updates. I am having a problem though, it is with my some of my Family Finder matches profile display. When their name is written in Cyrillic alphabet or if they have a longer name it is covering over their email address and I cannot read it. I haven't checked in my brother's kit yet about this so not sure if it is a problem there too.

Leave a comment:

• COTEX
    replied
    Gedcom upload

Yes, the raw data is part of the media file move. I was just told that the transfer will not be complete by closing today. Thus, raw data, profile images, and other files will not be turned back on until tomorrow morning.
    Is this also preventing gedcom uploads??

Leave a comment:

• Caburn
    replied
    Thank you for the feedback. Yes, photo avatars will be back.

I am sure all of your matches are nice blokes even if they look a bit gruff. ;-)
    Yes, I'm sure they are - even the one who looks as though he's just stepped out of some Kung Fu fighting movie. It's some of the women who look rather unnerving, frankly. I have one who could easily play the villain in a Bond film; all she needs is a cat to stroke. "Do come in, Mr Bond - I've been waiting for you ..."

On a more serious note, I do think the choice of one's photo avatar is something to be thought-through with regard to the impression it gives to others.

One of my matches took extreme care in choosing her photo, I suspect. She looks absolutely fantastic in it, but I have a feeling it must have been taken a good few years ago. Like 30 years ago.

OK, alright, yes, I know: I don't have a photo of my own, so who am I to criticise? I did give serious consideration to it but decided not to have one lest it turn people first to stone, then to dust, to say nothing of the shattered screens.
    Last edited by Caburn; 5 December 2013, 06:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rebekah Canada
    replied
    Feedback

Originally posted by Caburn View Post
    Re the new-style Profile pop-up: just wondering if it might work better on the screen as a landscape, as opposed to portrait, design, with the info arranged side-by-side. I see it's using that horrible garish blue again. Can't see what was so wrong with the original dark blue colour scheme.

Thanks for removing the photo avatars from the main listing pages, although I fear their absence might only be temporary. (Perhaps they could be restricted to only show on the pop-up Profiles.) Some of mine were enough to scare the horses. They couldn't possibly have been related to me, er ... could they?
    Thank you for the feedback. Yes, photo avatars will be back.

I am sure all of your matches are nice blokes even if they look a bit gruff. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Rebekah Canada
    replied
    MAC Chrome Issues

Originally posted by cecemoore View Post
    Hi,
    The "download all matches" isn't working for me in Firefox, but it is in Chrome. I'm on a Mac.
    Thanks!! :-)
    Hi,

Jon and I are trying to replicate this, so we can get it fixed. I will let everyone know when it is better.

Leave a comment:

• cecemoore
    replied
    "Download all Matches" in Firefox (Mac)

Hi,
    The "download all matches" isn't working for me in Firefox, but it is in Chrome. I'm on a Mac.
    Thanks!! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Caburn
    replied
    Re the new-style Profile pop-up: just wondering if it might work better on the screen as a landscape, as opposed to portrait, design, with the info arranged side-by-side. I see it's using that horrible garish blue again. Can't see what was so wrong with the original dark blue colour scheme.

Thanks for removing the photo avatars from the main listing pages, although I fear their absence might only be temporary. (Perhaps they could be restricted to only show on the pop-up Profiles.) Some of mine were enough to scare the horses. They couldn't possibly have been related to me, er ... could they?

Leave a comment:

• Rebekah Canada
    replied
    Chrome

Originally posted by S9 H9 View Post
    Thanks for the updates Rebekah.

A question though: I can't get the FF matches page to load in Chrome. The other FF pages load, such as the chromosome browser page, but the match page does not. Chrome just hangs.

Question 2: The new "Download All Matches to Excel (CSV Format)" link doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Thanks.
    Hi,

Could you send me a private message with the details about your computer OS and Chrome version? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X