X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Apr 2003

I updated the list with other packages. Those that have not voted yet, please review the list in order to vote.
    Thank you
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

• T E Peterman
      FTDNA Customer
      • Sep 2004

I think it would be useful to see a software developed that could make practical use of y-DNA & mtDNA results. Imagine this:

1. a person is tested & has results for 25 markers.

2. the 25 markers are entered into the genealogy software for the individual. He is marked as "y-DNA tested" in the database.

3. the genealogy software then populates all patrilineal relatives with the 25 markers. All are marked as "y-DNA suggested" in the database.

4. if a data conflict develops (eg, two patrilineal first cousins don't come close to matching), the software alerts you to the discrepancy & suggests alternative test subjects from the database to resolve the discrepancy.

5. ditto for mtDNA

I don't know of any software that does this, but it would be really useful.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

• Jim Denning
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by T E Peterman

5. ditto for mtDNA

I don't know of any software that does this, but it would be really useful.

Timothy Peterman
        i agree !
        spansoft kith and kin is different from the ones i have seen. they work from a screen with clusters using bubbles like cartoons encapsulate speech. i have uploaded a sample jpg.

in this you easily can follow the lines pink and blue and the ydna and mtdna
        so adding the sensitivity to ydna lines should be easier since it will tell me if someone was dead before they were born

great idea tim
        it also will make dna more mainstream and genealogists will always answer questions their programs ask

Comment

I am searching for a good program. I'm using the very old Windows version of Reunion 4.03 (1988), but have converted most of my files to Ancestry Family Tree which is not on the voting list (downloadable from Ancestry.com). I have also recently purchased Family Tree Legends to try out. Family Tree Legends allows you to record DNA results from 3 testing companies, but does not "suggest" haplotype info for relatives.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
            R-BY55907
            • Apr 2003

Max,

There are almost 1,600 members of the forum and only 90 votes have been cast. I assume some of these could be visitors. Is there any way to tell how many members have signed on to the forum since you open this thread?

Thanks.

Comment

• Unregistered

Genbox

Genbox is another good new program with some unique capabilities. The one that I like best is that it will do a source list for a pedigree or other type of tree.

Comment

• Jim Denning
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by BarbeeJK
                I am searching for a good program. I'm using the very old Windows version of Reunion 4.03 (1988), but have converted most of my files to Ancestry Family Tree which is not on the voting list (downloadable from Ancestry.com). I have also recently purchased Family Tree Legends to try out. Family Tree Legends allows you to record DNA results from 3 testing companies, but does not "suggest" haplotype info for relatives.

KITH & KIN 3.1 if you can find it

Comment

• glamberson

The Master Genealogist (TMG) version 6

Hello,

I've used TMG since version 4 was released. The other software I've tried doesn't even come close to the robust feature list of this program, but it can seem complex at first since it has so many features.

In any case, I wanted to point out that TMG 6 has a very nice DNA log for each person in the database.

- Greg Lamberson

Comment

• Unregistered

TMG Version 6

I've been using TMG since the version 3 days. the power is the best around.

It does have the ability to add DNA results, and I'm working on how to search for specific markers. Granted I only have one result to work on right now, but someday I will have more!

Comment

• David Bell

not listed: AFT

I have FTM and PAF but prefer AFT(Not online). The reason is that I dislike the organization of FTM and the whistles and Bells drive me nuts. I do like the report feature of FTM. PAF was something I acquired last but I don't use it.
                      Further, the problems encountered with FTM software turned me south on it from the beginning. It states it adheres to conditions of use for sharing data but it does not, causing errors in other software packages.

David Bell - Calvert surname project

Comment

• Jim Denning
                        • Aug 2004

next generation

I used this in my new web site and its great

Comment

Family Origins

I tried the switch from Family Origins to Family Tree Maker and found that I would have to redo the sources from at least 4000 individuals to the new format. Plus FTM had limited note taking - I use a lot of notes and FTM had limited event types and I could not import all of my information from FO.

I had to return the software for a refund as it was not very satisfactory for keeping a family history where I wanted to search by type of event.

My only gripe about FO is that the multimedia table (where you store your connections to your multimedia files that related to individuals, families, or places) is very unstable. I maintain an excel list outside of FO with the person's name and place a reference as an event inside FO so the two will relate.

Anybody have this problem?

Comment

After seing the results from the poll I downloaded Family Tree Maker and started using it but it seems not to cope very well with Cyrillic scrypt. It is obviously made for use only by Americans.
                            Does anyone know to fix that problem or any other good program which doesn't have that problem?

Comment

• Unregistered

Gurubaliga

I've been using Cumberland Family Tree Software for last couple of years. The reports it generates arev truly neet and Professional. It also generates Webpages for each family with a click of a button without any catches. (Some other Programmes dont allow you to do that unless you opt for the hosting at their master site.)
                              But current version of Cumberland family tree software do not have DNA reigistry feature.
                              Gurudath Baliga

Comment

• Donald Cooley
                                • Jul 2005

Family Tree Maker 2006 just came out

Family Tree Maker 2006 just came out. Price $29.95 until 15 SEP 2005.

Link: http://shops.ancestry.com/?ti=0
                                Last edited by Donald Cooley; 9 August 2005, 12:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                                X