Family Tree Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul,

I hope I’m not telling you what you already know. A GEDCOM is made so you can transfer a file between genealogy programs. The GEDCOM has to be imported into Your favorite program.
    I use FTM 2005. I’m NOT happy with the “new owners”…but I have been using it since Their start.
    Now is when I get confused by your question.
    I click on reports, select custom. With this you can select any people in your tree you Wish.
    Then in edit, click copy report. I use this to import to Word/Excel.
    Did I help? Or am I in left field?
    Oh: make sure you do a backup. The file is *.ftw. Copy this file
    to a floppy or stick drive. * means your file name (for the new folks)
    Mine is darroll.ftw. The file is usually located on "C", then look for the
    FTW folder.
    darroll

Comment

Daroll,

Thanks for attempting to answer my question.

Yes, I can select anyone I want, but if I choose descendants of Martin Sheets, I get them all. There are over 2000 of them, and it lists them alphabetically, so as I'm going down the list to then exclude the other surnames that I don't want in the report, and the female offspring of a male Sheets that I don't want, I don't know if the name I'm excluding is a descendant of Martin or not. I can't include by surname alone either, because if I just select all of the Sheets, then I won't get the wives names, which I do want.

Also, the "Sort" option for a custom report does not include "in descendant order". The alphabetical sort and other sorts will do me no good, as I need to retain the indented type sorting of the outline descendant chart. Otherwise, I'll just get a list and won't know who is the child of whom.

Thirdly, with over 2000 individuals, there is no way to select by gender. Sure, I can guess that "Lake Sheets" is a guy, or "Jessie Sheets" is a girl, but I could be wrong, and that would make my report innacurate.

I realize what GEDCOM format is for, I was just wondering if there was a way to import a GEDCOM format into, say, an Access database or something I can write my own reports from.

Paul

Comment

Genius Family Tree

Originally posted by admin
        Family Tree DNA is starting this thread to have you vote for the Family Tree Software of your choice. If you use one that is not listed in this poll, please let me know and I'll be happy to add.
        I use Genius Family Tree version 2.0
        www.gensol.com.au

Comment

Software

I use Family Tree Maker 2006

Comment

Genbox Family Tree by Thoughtful Creations

I use Genbox Family Tree <http://www.genbox.com/>, which is not included in the poll's checklist. Published by Thoughtful Creations, it is built on a relational database model, apparently with Microsoft Access as its underlying database engine. It's very versatile and elegant in concept; but its user community is so small, I may shift to TMG.

Comment

Family Tree Software

The Master Genealogist!!!!!!! A happy customer for many years!

Comment

You can make a Family Book with PAF

I have been useing PAF for almost 20 years. The best part I like is, you can make a BOOK with all your information, notes, and sources and your pictures of ALL your family members.

In 2005 I made a BOOK for the Virginia State Library in Richmond, on my father's side of the family. It is about 850 pages. It turned out GREAT! I am planning to do an up date in 2010. It is already over 1500 pages now and growing every day. It will have over 300 pictures in 2010. I don't know if other programs can do that.

If any of you get to the Richmond Library, please check out my BOOK, The Via Family Tree by Elaine Marie Via Bouscher.

Comment

So far, Legacy 6 is the only genealogy software program that I could find that has a feature to enter haplotypes into it. Does anyone know of any other genealogical program to do this? Right now, I'm using the trial version, so I can't see how it works. Does anyone use this program? Does it make charts for haplotype data?

Comment

Ftw

If you would like to see your efforts included in Family Tree Maker, below is the response they sent me. I'm not advertising for them, just relaying their response to me. In my view, I believe the folks at Family Tree DNA and Family Tree Maker / Ancestry.com should partner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

That feature does not currently exist in the Family Tree Maker program. However, you can make your detailed needs known to the developers by going to this website:

http://help.genealogy.com

Under Customer Support, Feedback, you want to select Suggest a Product or Service Enhancement.

http://www.genealogy.com/help/er.html

There Enhancement Requests are review by the company and may be included in a future release of the program.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ektor]If you would like to see your efforts included in Family Tree Maker, below is the response they sent me. I'm not advertising for them, just relaying their response to me. In my view, I believe the folks at Family Tree DNA and Family Tree Maker / Ancestry.com should partner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Family Tree Maker and Ancestry have already “partnered”, we don’t need any more monopolies In our research tool bin. d

Comment

• Are you sure???????????

Originally posted by darroll
                        Family Tree Maker and Ancestry have already “partnered”, we don’t need any more monopolies In our research tool bin. d
                        I believe the "partnering" between FTDNA and Ancestry was dropped before Ancestry took over Relative Genetics.

I'm looking for a replacement for Family Tree Maker.

Comment

• Just a crazy thought

For people like me who do not have much of a family tree (more like a twig) how about a genetic family tree based off the tests conducted by FTDNA?

As time goes by and more people test, then maybe all the gaps could be filled in just by working one haplogroup at a time.

This in essence would be the world's largest family tree based on genetics testing. It would be pretty awesome.

Arch

Comment

• Originally posted by Arch Yeomans
                            For people like me who do not have much of a family tree (more like a twig) how about a genetic family tree based off the tests conducted by FTDNA?

As time goes by and more people test, then maybe all the gaps could be filled in just by working one haplogroup at a time.

This in essence would be the world's largest family tree based on genetics testing. It would be pretty awesome.

Arch
                            GREAT IDEA! And it would be accurate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arch Yeomans

Arch
                              As I understand it, that is essentially what the SMGF database is all about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bud Rogers
                                As I understand it, that is essentially what the SMGF database is all about.

Can we go anywhere on this web site without getting all of these advertisements for their competitors ?
                                I logged on that website and all of their results are hidden (our family). Just one big secret after another.
                                Why don’t you learn some manners, partner? d

Comment

Working...
                                X