Family Tree Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacFamilyTree

I use MacFamilyTree - very easy to use and it uploads gedcom files with no problems.

Comment

Software Preferred - PAF

Thank you for letting me Vote which software I prefer.

Having been at family history research since 1984/5, began by hand with lots of notebooks.

Graduated to PAF Personal Ancestral File 1.0 which it was available at the West Los Angeles, Ca. Family History Library.

I purchased the software then, I cannot remember the price. After a while, I got away from research, family, life, etc.

I downloaded the new software, the price was right, FREE, could not pass it, as already had previous experience with the original software. It suits my purposes. I use the alternate fields for other information I wished to record as time permits.

Presently, I keep a separate journal for family events, pictures, etc. Don't we all?

So far I have a small problem in that I cannot seem to print out any forms or reports. Must be a glitch between the new software download and the computer itself. Will deal with it later.

A gedcom seems to do the trick for now.

No, I am not a Mormon. But do enjoy their software as it does the trick.

It all depends on your desire for all the bells and whistles that each software program out there can give you.

Again, the magic word is "CHOICE", what we do without that word in this day and age.

Comment

I like GenoPro!

Comment

What programs(software) makes these diagrams?
          http://www.roperld.com/graphics/37Markers.jpg

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rsychev
            What programs(software) makes these diagrams?
            http://www.roperld.com/graphics/37Markers.jpg

Thanks
            Hi Roman!

More likely PAUP or PHYLIP. Another solution is any program that can search for clusters and display resulting trees.

Comment

Originally posted by vraatyah
              Hi Roman!

More likely PAUP or PHYLIP. Another solution is any program that can search for clusters and display resulting trees.
              Valery???
              thanks glad to see you

Comment

It is interesting that none of the major genealogy software has the ability to handle surname prefixes. Only Gramps (linux) and Aldfaer (Dutch) has this capability for desktops and TNG for a website solution.

For those not familiar surname prefix examples are: van, van der, de, de la etc....

Comment

The GEDCOM standard says to surround surnames with slashes. This enables handling of names provided in a different order than "first middle last" and also handles multi-part surnames. See http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pmcbr...#NAME_PERSONAL

I know at least Family Tree Maker will, by default, assume the last word of the name field is the surname, but that can be changed by entering the slashes, ie:

George /van der Merwede/
                  I also use this convention when I know someone's given name(s), but not their surname. I enter their given names followed by // to indicate that the entered names are not the surname.
                  Last edited by efgen; 31st July 2006, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen
                    The GEDCOM standard says to surround surnames with slashes. This enables handling of names provided in a different order than "first middle last" and also handles multi-part surnames. See http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pmcbr...#NAME_PERSONAL

By default, Family Tree Maker will assume the last word of the name field is the surname, but that can be changed by entering the slashes, ie:

Other major programs should behave the same way.

The problem is that the slash's permanently fuse the prefix to the surname. For instance van der Merwede and Merwede are the same. If you make the prefix part of the last name, which it isn't, then alphabetically van der Merwede would fall under "V" and that is not correct. It should be under "M". When you do a search on Merwede and a program has combined the prefix with the surname the search will not perform correctly. The slash's are a poor and incorrect way to handle it. The makers of the non-US created software understand this and they have handled it correctly. It should be a seperate field. You will see legal documents where someone named Jan van Holland sign their name as "Jan v. Holland", they are also written as such at times. A prefix is and at the same time is not part of the surname.

If the current GEDCOM standard cannot handle it correctly then it is time to change the standard. They need only to add a SPFX field for the prefix and it is done. that is how it is exported in TNG and Gramps.
                    Last edited by GvdM; 31st July 2006, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Great information

Comment

Genealogy databases

One of the problems with databases is that no one format or structure meets all needs. The surname issue is a case in point. Even if GEDCOM formats allowed surname prefixes, the proprietary genealogy software probably wouldn't recognize it and wouldn't download that data.

I've spent hours loading GEDCOMS into a word processor and manually altering the data so a propietary genealogy program would download the GEDCOM without losing any of the data.

Comment

Originally posted by ntxcousin
                          One of the problems with databases is that no one format or structure meets all needs. The surname issue is a case in point. Even if GEDCOM formats allowed surname prefixes, the proprietary genealogy software probably wouldn't recognize it and wouldn't download that data.

I've spent hours loading GEDCOMS into a word processor and manually altering the data so a propietary genealogy program would download the GEDCOM without losing any of the data.
                          This is not a hard fix. It is a matter of adding one field. The genealogy programs produced in Europe handle this fine. The problem is the American companies (and government) have no clue what a surname prefix is. It is not a technical problem, it is an ignorance problem in American genealogy software development. Two seperate programs developed in Europe handle the issue with no problem. That tells me it does work. I also am a programmer so I do know what is involved.... and it really isn't that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by GvdM
                            This is not a hard fix. It is a matter of adding one field. The genealogy programs produced in Europe handle this fine. The problem is the American companies (and government) have no clue what a surname prefix is. It is not a technical problem, it is an ignorance problem in American genealogy software development. Two seperate programs developed in Europe handle the issue with no problem. That tells me it does work. I also am a programmer so I do know what is involved.... and it really isn't that difficult.
                            True it's not a hard fix. Unfortunately, most of the genealogy programs currently available aren't flexible. In my opinion there's only one genealogy software program out there that is flexible enough for super-users and collectors of genealogy data. I'd have to check it to see if it could handle the prefix issue. I've never had to input any prefixes before so I don't know if it could handle it correctly.

Comment

I use PhpGedView

Comment

Patriarch chart

I was hoping to produce a patriarch chart from a GEDCOM for my surname project, however I was disappointed with the inflexibility of custom reporting in FTM.

Basically what I want is a descendant outline report that I can manipulate into a patriarch report. However, none of the software I have seen will allow you to include only male descendants of a selected surname. I thought maybe it would let me create a full report, and then edit out the individuals I didn't want, but you can't do that either. I'm a programmer, so I could write SQL or VB code to do this, if I had access to the data, but I don't know how to convert a GEDCOM to another database format I could work with.

Any advice from any tech-types out there would be appreciated. I may just have to cut and paste into Word and manipulate it there, but that takes time when you're working with trees that have 2000+ individuals.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X