Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dwight
    replied
    Will I regret now using ancestry.com's online family tree?

I have only recently gotten the genealogy bug, but it's been a pretty intense few weeks. I decided to wait before purchasing any family tree software - so as to have better information on which to make my decision - but in the meantime I've put a ton of information into ancestry.com's online family tree.

Do I risk having much of this information not transfer when the time comes to migrate to a new family tree software program?

Having all of this information already in ancestry.com, should that influence my decision of which software to go with later? (Do some articulate better with ancestry.com than others?)

Many thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

Dwight
    'The only known N line of Holmes''

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I voted for Family Tree Maker... and, while I realise a software company needs to keep selling copies of their software to stay in business, I really don't see the need to keep upgrading to the latest bleeding-edge issue - I still use the same version I bought 13 years ago.

I also put my family tree on line using PHP software called "The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding", written by Darrin Lythgoe. I customised the front page from one of his free templates, and the rest of the site is password-protected.

I admit family members (and qualified researchers on a need-to-know basis), and I listed all of the surnames in a textbox on the front page so others could find me and apply for a match process.

My database has gone from about 2,300 to over 20,000 in the last 18 months... quite an achievement!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I use Legacy 7.0 and am very happy with it so upgraded to the Delux version

Leave a comment:

• villandra
    replied
    I use PAF for data entry and routine searching, and PAF Companion to create most reports. I use Legacy to create web sites. Sometimes I use Rootsmagic to create reports that aren't available in the other programs or when I want a report that is particularly pretty. But PAF offers the best choice in report formats, followed by Legacy.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Rootsmagic

Rootsmagic 4

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm actually using GRAMPS in Linux along with the Ancestry.com site and other online sources.

Leave a comment:

• Krootie
    replied
    I started with Brother's Keeper approx. around '94 - the DOS version, too. And have updated through the decades. I remember in the 90s having a problem and calling the phone number for help - and a "voice" answered (John Steed's) who helped with a "computer problem" rather than the software. Now that's service! I would imagine most are pleased with their genealogy software - doubt if many use all the apps provided.

Originally posted by mheffler View Post
    I did not see Brother's Keeper in your list. I have used it for a decade and watched it grow with me from DOS to Windows.

Leave a comment:

• mwhendrix
    replied
    Tmg

In the mid 1980s there was little choice in genealogy software. My original switch from hand-written paper sheets was to a memory typewriter; it was painful and very limiting. A brief attempt at using PAF demonstrated the applications limitations in documenting research data.
    A colleague at work was using Roots and provided me with a demo copy for a test drive. From that, began the long journey of following Roots (versions I through V) to The Master Genealogist (TMG), Gold edition (v7).
    For the average user TMG is probably overkill. It takes time to learn and understand program features. TMG may be compared to Microsoft Word or a full-blown word processing program. If one uses Word for nothing more than writing email text, it is overkill and not worth the expense of purchase and the devotion of time to learn about the features. However, if one is going to publish a dissertation (citations, footnotes, a bibliography, index, charts, and figures) a simple text editor will not suffice.
    TMG is a very powerful genealogy program. The developers have done an excellent job of designing the program to meet the needs of the professional or advanced amateur genealogist. To meet the need of the individual, the user can tailor program features. Data set “Lists” are maintained for the various elements of research that are referenced - Source, Repository, Place, Event, Tag Type, and Style. As these elements are used, the Lists grow. After the first use, the research element is then re-used for recording subsequent individuals entered into the program.
    When the initial transfer from Roots V to TMG was initiated, I found that I had recorded my “Place” locations in many different ways. Each spelling error for a location created a new location. States were sometimes recorded with the full spelling, while some locations used the two letter code for the state. My “Place” list was a mess. Likewise, I had recorded various sources in different ways. Making corrections to my data set took time. But, I had the tools to make the corrections and the corrections were globally applied to every individual record where it was used.
    Genealogy programs have become more sophisticated over the past twenty-five years. Does every genealogy programs now have this capability, probably.
    Is TMG the perfect genealogy program? no. Like any software program, the user community will continue to identify new features and capabilities. My experience has been that Wholly Genes Software listens and responds to the user community.
    Last edited by mwhendrix; 2nd February 2010, 08:24 AM. Reason: Incomplete paste of text

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I use Legacy which is very rich in features but I might switch to GRAMPS

I have used Legacy since ever since I started doing genealogy.

They have a wonderful user group which is really one of the best things because you can get a lot of help there.
    They also provide free updates when small changes are made to the program.
    You still have to buy a new program when there is a major revision to the program.
    It is not so heavy as Family Tree Maker because it does not load the media files like pictures into the main program.
    If you use windows you should try Legacy it has a lot of former Family Tree Maker users.
    I personally tried Family Tree Maker once but I was very disappointed with it.
    The cost of using Family Tree Maker is quite considerable compared to Legacy.
    I have however switched to Linux as my main operating system and for over a year I have not been very active in genealogy.
    Once I get back into it I hope to begin using GRAMPS as a supplement to Legacy and eventually I may switch to it. I tried it several years ago and although it didn't have some of the features of Legacy at that time it looked very good to me.

Duane C

Leave a comment:

• michae1
    replied
    I use 'Gramps' a very powerful Linux program which isn't on the list. I also keep a record at ancestry.com to try and connect with relatives.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I use Family Tree Maker and on my web page use TNG

Leave a comment:

• rdblair
    replied
    Originally posted by dna1900 View Post
    The software package, 'The Master Genealogist' has provisions for DNA. Unfortunately, they have not released a Mac version. I would love to see this for both Mac and Linux.

-Shawn
    Roots Magic 4 also has provision fror DNA information

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The software package, 'The Master Genealogist' has provisions for DNA. Unfortunately, they have not released a Mac version. I would love to see this for both Mac and Linux.

-Shawn

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
    I already voted in here, but since voting I have been using a new program. I use Reunion 9 for Mac.

I quite like this program, its easy to use and if you make a mistake in connecting one or more lines, to the clipboard they go to be fixed.

I'm hoping that one day they make genealogy programs where one can add the DNA results into a specifically designed area.

But then again, the notes section is perfectly fine too......

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Gramps

I use several of the tools you have listed, but I also like to use Gramps to aide me in gathering research information. It's a very powerful genealogy application, well supported, and free. The software can be reviewed and downloaded from http://www.gramps-project.org

Shawn

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    I already voted in here, but since voting I have been using a new program. I use Reunion 9 for Mac.

I quite like this program, its easy to use and if you make a mistake in connecting one or more lines, to the clipboard they go to be fixed.

I'm hoping that one day they make genealogy programs where one can add the DNA results into a specifically designed area.

But then again, the notes section is perfectly fine too......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X