• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied

PAF 5 is my genealogy tree software

Leave a comment:

• sjadelson
    replied
    I started with FTM 2010 (and have since gone to 2011, worth the upgrade). My only complaint about FTM is that there's no way to sync between the software and ancestry.com, even if you are a paying member as I am. It's a real pain to update everything twice, or to delete the on-line tree and upload an entirely new tree. They have technical reasons that I do not fully comprehend to prohibit this, but it seems like something they could/should fix.

Leave a comment:

• Darkwriter
    replied
    Thank you for the FTM lowdown and...

Connie: Thank you for sharing your experiences with FTM 2009 with us. What a huge waste of time if you can't manipulate the info easily between the FTM and Ancestry tree, especially all those sources you mentioned which are very important when it come to deciphering strange events, repeated names and obscure dates!

As I said earlier, Ancestry should automatically give us some manner to create GEDCOM files we can edit and export, sans any software like FTM. Since they have not answered my direct question as to whether FTM 2011 can perform these actions as a stand-alone product, I am assuming it's "No" by omission or it's simply not GEDCOM friendly to date.

Thanks again for sharing; I'll be referring back to your frustrating experience when considering a good tree program in the future. I am very sorry to learn that you had to "reinvent the wheel", so to speak, just to make a good tree with sources. I hope you have devised a better way to collect and organize your hard-won ancestry info since that time.

Sincerely,
    DW
    Last edited by Darkwriter; 30th March 2011, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cjm95
    replied
    Ftm

Hello

I do not have the latest version of FTM, but I do know that Ancestry.com allows you to save your tree to the FTM on your computer. This all sounds nice, but there is a problem that I have found that makes me mad.

If you try and save your file from the website to your computer it does not copy documents or photos that you may have added on the website. So anything such as census records or family photos that I had saved to Ancestry.com are there without a way to download them along with your tree to your computer version of FTM. I am using FTM 2009 still and I don't know if this issue has been fixed in newer versions.

While using Ancestry.com it is quite easy to search and add media to your tree on their site, but be aware that you cannot save your gedcom along with its corresponding media to your own program. It is something their website says they are working on at the last time I checked.

I have used their website for years researching, but I had never realized my media was not downloadable or included in my gedcom file. I am now going through my tree on my computer version and adding media into it person by person which is extremely frustrating and time consuming.

So if you do use FTM in any version make sure you do your research by using your computer version of FTM and search Ancestry.com through the link in the computer program and not their website alone. That way when you are saving things to your tree on your computers FTM program and not onto the Ancestry.com website tree. Most importantly media (documents, photos).

I hope the newer version has addressed this issue. Good Luck

My version FTM2009 uses Gedcom 5.5, family tree maker, Gedcom for FTM 16 as export options for trees, charts and reports.

Connie
    Last edited by cjm95; 30th March 2011, 07:31 PM. Reason: added info

Leave a comment:

• Darkwriter
    replied
    Family Tree Maker, 2011 edition

Because I currently use Ancestry.com for research and fact checking, I considered buying the latest 2011 FTM software to be able to create, edit, import and export GEDCOM files in the future before my annual subscription runs out. The site implies that it can create reports, but does not state it can create the GEDCOM type of files. Thus, I emailed Ancestry through their site asking if the FTM software can perform these actions, but they have not responded to date.
    Since FTM is clearly the choice of most users here based on the ongoing poll, could any of you please clarify what FTM 2011 can do or cannot do when it comes to GEDCOM files. I personally think that if one subscribes to Ancestry for research and tree development on a long term basis the latest FTM software should be included as part of the package.

Thank you for any and all.

Leave a comment:

• AA266
    replied
    Wintree Family Tree Software

Originally posted by admin View Post
    Family Tree DNA is starting this thread to have you vote for the Family Tree Software of your choice. If you use one that is not listed in this poll, please let me know and I'll be happy to add.
    [SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]I use Wintree and was surprised to find it missing from your list of software titles. Wintree is very similar to PAF and (like PAF) is easy to use. But unlike PAF, Wintree uses color to facilitate navigation through the various screens. Both programs are GEDCOM compatible but PAF is free for personal home use. Wintree is free to try (for 30 days) but requires a $15.00 registration fee for unlimited use. For additional information, FTDNA Forum members may go to the Wintree home page at: wintree.plus.com
    Last edited by Darren; 14th March 2011, 10:05 PM. Reason: please no links to outside comapny websites

Leave a comment:

replied
    I use Family Tree Builder by myheritage.com. It was free until my family tree grew to have more than 200 people. I have found many additions to my tree from other users there and others have used my findings, too.

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder

Leave a comment:

• Itai
    replied
    I use Geneatique, which is not in the list, and am quite satisfied by it...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Genealogy Programs

I have voted and I use Legacy, I started out using PAF for DOS back in 1984 the only Genealogy program I could find at the time. Beat the daylights out of paper and pen. I've used since them Family Orgins, FTM, one that is no longer in business and a couple of others I do not recall. All of them has been very good and served a purpose but I found Legacy and use it now because it serves all my needs. I think that will be the case with any program, if it serves your needs, you will be happy with it. A recomendation if you are just starting, use one of the free programs PAF, Legacy, or Gramps. After you learn the information that is required names, dates, places, and where you got the information any of these free programs will keep your information and do a satisfactory job. After you get confortable with using a genealogy program look at samples of all the programs then select the one you want to use and get it. The programs that put out a new version every few months let the new version be used for a while before you update. Short times between versions makes good money for the company but bugs can hide for a while. Any way all the programs are good just make sure you like the one you settle on before you start spending money. Have a good day everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Krootie
    replied
    On-Line Review/Report Card of Genealogical Software

Here's a link of a On-Line Review/Report Card of Genealogical Software:
    http://www.mumford.ca/reportcard/review.htm

The reviews were done by S W Mumford, and the material is somewhat dated, but will provide detailed info if you are seeking a particular feature in the software available.

Sadly, Mr. Mumford passed away yesterday and will be sorely missed.

Leave a comment:

• dwight
    replied
    Legacy bummer (presumably temporary)

Weeks ago I had pretty much decided to purchase Legacy Deluxe (I've been using only ancestry.com online). Today a sudden need arose to shift to standalone software, hoping to produce some charts for tomorrow. So I went to Legacy's site, paid up, purchased the download version - then, in the receipt, I see that it says to complete the download I need to get their follow up email, and it will arrive "by the end of the next business day." It's Saturday. I want this now. The next business day is Monday. I thought the whole purpose of being wired 24/7 with mammoth bandwidth was to blow away the very concept of a "business day." You've got my money - give me the download!

I'm sure this will all pass in good time. Just blown away by this unexpected "brick wall"!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My Software Choice is TMG

I have used Wholly Genes' The Master Genealogist since version 3, I'd guess that to be about 10-12 years now. It's a very complete and thorough software. There's little that it cannot do for the avid genealogist. Although the learning curve tends to be somewhat high, I wouldn't trade this program for any other simply because of all the functions and choices you have.
    Last edited by Rootsdigger; 7th October 2010, 05:50 PM. Reason: date correction

Leave a comment:

• jablair
    replied
    Originally posted by bimjim View Post
    I voted for Family Tree Maker... and, while I realise a software company needs to keep selling copies of their software to stay in business, I really don't see the need to keep upgrading to the latest bleeding-edge issue - I still use the same version I bought 13 years ago.

I also put my family tree on line using PHP software called "The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding", written by Darrin Lythgoe.

My database has gone from about 2,300 to over 20,000 in the last 18 months... quite an achievement!
    Hi Bimjim,

IF you subscribe to Ancestry.com you might want to consider upgrading to the latest version of Family Tree Maker. I was like you, using an older version of FTM which I found very sufficient, but while at WDYTYA this Feb. I upgraded to FTM 2010. It has a feature which integrates it with the Ancestry.com databases. If there are any potential source documents on Ancestry that might apply to a member in your tree it flags the member with a “leaf” and when you click on the “leaf” it brings up all of these possible matches. You can then review any of these possible sources and merge the information into your tree. You select exactly what information you want to merge.

You can also select a member in your tree and request an Ancestry search. All of the pertinent information about the member is automatically transferred into the Ancestry search form saving you from having to manually input the information. If you find anything in Ancestry.com that pertains to the member in your tree you can merge as mentioned above.

I find this to be an extremely useful tool since I already subscribe to Ancestry.com.
    Last edited by jablair; 5th October 2010, 08:29 AM. Reason: Incomplete

Leave a comment:

• Martin Potter
    replied
    Paf

I have used PAF almost since the beginning (1990?). At one time I considered switching to Legacy but all my source citations, comments and supplementary information were in the form of Notes in PAF and digging them out and copying them to the various places for notes in Legacy would have been a horrendous job. Still using PAF.

Leave a comment:

• Peacock100
    replied
    Dwight - Family Tree Maker works well with Ancestry.com but you can genereate gedcoms from Ancestry & transfer to other programs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X