Family Tree Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database software vs. reports

I use the Family Tree Maker to maintain my database, but both PAF and Generations Family Tree for reports. I'm not fond of the reports from FTM.

Comment

I use Cumberland Family Tree for the database and GenoPro for the charts.
      I decided to stick with CFT after looking at many other programs, of which those I liked best were Family Historian and GenBox.

Comment

As an experienced web and software developer, I'd really enjoy creating such an application. I've been working on a personal family tree web application for my own family and I might consider extending this to include genetic markers.

I'll put some thought into this. Any suggestions, feel free to send them my way.

- Sean Silver

Originally posted by T E Peterman
        I think it would be useful to see a software developed that could make practical use of y-DNA & mtDNA results. Imagine this:

1. a person is tested & has results for 25 markers.

2. the 25 markers are entered into the genealogy software for the individual. He is marked as "y-DNA tested" in the database.

3. the genealogy software then populates all patrilineal relatives with the 25 markers. All are marked as "y-DNA suggested" in the database.

4. if a data conflict develops (eg, two patrilineal first cousins don't come close to matching), the software alerts you to the discrepancy & suggests alternative test subjects from the database to resolve the discrepancy.

5. ditto for mtDNA

I don't know of any software that does this, but it would be really useful.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

I have used these in the past and found each to have its good and bad points...

Suffolk
          7DayFamilyTree

and althought its a site, locateprople has provided mw with a wealth of information in filling in some of my missing history...

Comment

software

I use Gramps, its free (Linux) and extended

Comment

Family Tree Software

I use Family Historian, a british product. It is not on offer to vote for but is an excellant program. Version 3 is now available.

Alasdair Macdonald
              Scotland

Comment

What I use

I use One Great Family .com and Family Tree Maker

Comment

Ftm

I've used Family TreeMaker for the past couple of years, until just recently, I purchase their 2006 update which totally corrupted all the previous files. Their customer service is a mess, not helpful, and so now I guess I've got to start from scratch. I have some printouts to start from but , oh, what a mess. Useless.

Comment

The Master Genealogist

After reading the above advice, The Master Genealogist sounds like it might be a winner. I was wondering if anyone can comment on its companion program for making web pages. Does it support privacy restricted to registered users? I would like to make some data public and some data restricted to family members. Also, I would like to include a comment section so anyone with helpful information can add their comments and respond to each other. If it doesn't support interactive participation, can I include links to a separate blog site? But it would be great if I can integrate blog with family history information, pictures, DNA profiles, etc. with security levels.

If I should be looking at a different software package, let me know that as well.

Thank you,

--Steve

Comment

FTW latest version 2006

I have used 3 others and by far (FTW when it was Brd) FTW 2006 is the best version. The internet search capabilities are incredible if you have a subscription to Ancestry and the census images. I have found generation after generation from this software.

Comment

I have used FTM for the last 10+ years. I orginal had Family Orgin it was good for starters but FTM is great.

Ken

Comment

I use the free version of PAF - Personal Ancestral File

I find it satisfactory. What are the differences between PAF and other systems?

Comment

I have spent very many hours scanning and studying Church Records and censuses and still have many ancestral lines to research. It is important to document the family relationships thoroughly. Of course this work is done for my self and my family, but because there exists some free family tree software I want to share my findings with other people.

The PAF 5.2 is very convincing: Besides for the usual names, birth, christening, burial, nick names, married name, cause of death, physical description it allow adding for instance informational sources, write personal information, add photos and Internet links on each individual, and to seal persons and families to each other.

Have not tried any other system, therefore I cannot compare them.

Comment

free family tree viewer online

I found a free online family tree viewer at http://aspspider.net/MyFamilyTree/

Comment

Originally posted by Wena
                                I have spent very many hours scanning and studying Church Records and censuses and still have many ancestral lines to research. It is important to document the family relationships thoroughly. Of course this work is done for my self and my family, but because there exists some free family tree software I want to share my findings with other people.

The PAF 5.2 is very convincing: Besides for the usual names, birth, christening, burial, nick names, married name, cause of death, physical description it allow adding for instance informational sources, write personal information, add photos and Internet links on each individual, and to seal persons and families to each other.

Have not tried any other system, therefore I cannot compare them.
                                After reading your post, I downloaded PAF 5.2 for free from the Mormon site and have started using it. Thus far, I like it.

The price was right, that's for sure!

Comment

Working...
                                X