No announcement yet.

Family Tree Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm actually using GRAMPS in Linux along with the Ancestry.com site and other online sources.

Comment

• Rootsmagic

Rootsmagic 4

Comment

• I use PAF for data entry and routine searching, and PAF Companion to create most reports. I use Legacy to create web sites. Sometimes I use Rootsmagic to create reports that aren't available in the other programs or when I want a report that is particularly pretty. But PAF offers the best choice in report formats, followed by Legacy.

Comment

• I use Legacy 7.0 and am very happy with it so upgraded to the Delux version

Comment

• I voted for Family Tree Maker... and, while I realise a software company needs to keep selling copies of their software to stay in business, I really don't see the need to keep upgrading to the latest bleeding-edge issue - I still use the same version I bought 13 years ago.

I also put my family tree on line using PHP software called "The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding", written by Darrin Lythgoe. I customised the front page from one of his free templates, and the rest of the site is password-protected.

I admit family members (and qualified researchers on a need-to-know basis), and I listed all of the surnames in a textbox on the front page so others could find me and apply for a match process.

My database has gone from about 2,300 to over 20,000 in the last 18 months... quite an achievement!

Comment

• Will I regret now using ancestry.com's online family tree?

I have only recently gotten the genealogy bug, but it's been a pretty intense few weeks. I decided to wait before purchasing any family tree software - so as to have better information on which to make my decision - but in the meantime I've put a ton of information into ancestry.com's online family tree.

Do I risk having much of this information not transfer when the time comes to migrate to a new family tree software program?

Having all of this information already in ancestry.com, should that influence my decision of which software to go with later? (Do some articulate better with ancestry.com than others?)

Many thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

Dwight
              'The only known N line of Holmes''

Comment

• Dwight - Family Tree Maker works well with Ancestry.com but you can genereate gedcoms from Ancestry & transfer to other programs.

Comment

• Paf

I have used PAF almost since the beginning (1990?). At one time I considered switching to Legacy but all my source citations, comments and supplementary information were in the form of Notes in PAF and digging them out and copying them to the various places for notes in Legacy would have been a horrendous job. Still using PAF.

Comment

• Originally posted by bimjim View Post
                    I voted for Family Tree Maker... and, while I realise a software company needs to keep selling copies of their software to stay in business, I really don't see the need to keep upgrading to the latest bleeding-edge issue - I still use the same version I bought 13 years ago.

I also put my family tree on line using PHP software called "The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding", written by Darrin Lythgoe.

My database has gone from about 2,300 to over 20,000 in the last 18 months... quite an achievement!
                    Hi Bimjim,

IF you subscribe to Ancestry.com you might want to consider upgrading to the latest version of Family Tree Maker. I was like you, using an older version of FTM which I found very sufficient, but while at WDYTYA this Feb. I upgraded to FTM 2010. It has a feature which integrates it with the Ancestry.com databases. If there are any potential source documents on Ancestry that might apply to a member in your tree it flags the member with a “leaf” and when you click on the “leaf” it brings up all of these possible matches. You can then review any of these possible sources and merge the information into your tree. You select exactly what information you want to merge.

You can also select a member in your tree and request an Ancestry search. All of the pertinent information about the member is automatically transferred into the Ancestry search form saving you from having to manually input the information. If you find anything in Ancestry.com that pertains to the member in your tree you can merge as mentioned above.

I find this to be an extremely useful tool since I already subscribe to Ancestry.com.
                    Last edited by jablair; 5th October 2010, 08:29 AM. Reason: Incomplete

Comment

• My Software Choice is TMG

I have used Wholly Genes' The Master Genealogist since version 3, I'd guess that to be about 10-12 years now. It's a very complete and thorough software. There's little that it cannot do for the avid genealogist. Although the learning curve tends to be somewhat high, I wouldn't trade this program for any other simply because of all the functions and choices you have.
                      Last edited by Rootsdigger; 7th October 2010, 05:50 PM. Reason: date correction

Comment

• Legacy bummer (presumably temporary)

Weeks ago I had pretty much decided to purchase Legacy Deluxe (I've been using only ancestry.com online). Today a sudden need arose to shift to standalone software, hoping to produce some charts for tomorrow. So I went to Legacy's site, paid up, purchased the download version - then, in the receipt, I see that it says to complete the download I need to get their follow up email, and it will arrive "by the end of the next business day." It's Saturday. I want this now. The next business day is Monday. I thought the whole purpose of being wired 24/7 with mammoth bandwidth was to blow away the very concept of a "business day." You've got my money - give me the download!

I'm sure this will all pass in good time. Just blown away by this unexpected "brick wall"!

Comment

• On-Line Review/Report Card of Genealogical Software

Here's a link of a On-Line Review/Report Card of Genealogical Software:
                          http://www.mumford.ca/reportcard/review.htm

The reviews were done by S W Mumford, and the material is somewhat dated, but will provide detailed info if you are seeking a particular feature in the software available.

Sadly, Mr. Mumford passed away yesterday and will be sorely missed.

Comment

• Genealogy Programs

I have voted and I use Legacy, I started out using PAF for DOS back in 1984 the only Genealogy program I could find at the time. Beat the daylights out of paper and pen. I've used since them Family Orgins, FTM, one that is no longer in business and a couple of others I do not recall. All of them has been very good and served a purpose but I found Legacy and use it now because it serves all my needs. I think that will be the case with any program, if it serves your needs, you will be happy with it. A recomendation if you are just starting, use one of the free programs PAF, Legacy, or Gramps. After you learn the information that is required names, dates, places, and where you got the information any of these free programs will keep your information and do a satisfactory job. After you get confortable with using a genealogy program look at samples of all the programs then select the one you want to use and get it. The programs that put out a new version every few months let the new version be used for a while before you update. Short times between versions makes good money for the company but bugs can hide for a while. Any way all the programs are good just make sure you like the one you settle on before you start spending money. Have a good day everyone.

Comment

• I use Geneatique, which is not in the list, and am quite satisfied by it...

Comment

• I use Family Tree Builder by myheritage.com. It was free until my family tree grew to have more than 200 people. I have found many additions to my tree from other users there and others have used my findings, too.

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder

Comment

Working...
                                X