No announcement yet.

Family Tree Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As well as using 'Family Tree Maker', I also use 'MyHeritage Family Tree Builder'.

Comment

• well I am new to this stuff.... and have no clue what other things do exists.
      I use a free onlineservice wich gives the possibilities of handing accounts to all the fmiliy members with different degrees of editing rights.
      It also has an interesting function to show you a map, where a surname is how common.

German site:
      http://www.verwandt.de/
      Or if your just interested in maps for surnames:
      http://www.verwandt.de/karten/
      Austrian maps: http://www.verwandt.at/karten/
      Swiss maps: http://www.verwandt.ch/karten/

US Version:
      http://www.dynastree.com
      Maps:
      http://www.dynastree.com/maps

Spanish version:
      www.miparentela.es
      maps:
      http://www.miparentela.com/mapas

Polish:
      www.moikrewni.pl
      (www.moikrewni.pl/mapa

Comment

• Kith and Kin is a great one, thanks

Originally posted by Jim Denning View Post
        http://www.spansoft.org/

my fav is Kith and Kin and especially the 3.1 version which allows you to cut and paste from the record to the software and backwards. which allows emailing results with much less time involved

i couldnt vote but i should of been able to
        I used to use Kith and Kin when it was a free down load and just getting started and I loved it. Then my computer crashed and I couldn't find it again for a long time. Thanks for finding it for me. It is the easiest ever and does so much.

Comment

• I started with Family Tree Maker when it was DOS and have upgraded often. When I got to FTM 2008 it was terrible so dumped it in favor of Legacy 7. I am still working to learn that one.

Dave

Comment

• Genealogy Software

I started off with some simple genealogy program in the early 90’s then was introduced to Family Tree Maker. I still have it on my computer and I keep it up to date with each new version. It is a very good and useful program. It seems to be the most popular and my relatives seem to all use it. For that reason I always have it installed. In about 2004 or so I was introduced to Roots Magic and after testing it for some time I have moved fully to that program.

Someone said that a new version is not necessarily better than the old one and they are very correct. But on the whole Roots Magic has been very very responsive to our suggestion for changes and corrections to each version as they become available.

The last thing I have to say is it beats the heck out of pen and paper!!
            Last edited by Parker; 20th May 2009, 05:35 PM. Reason: missing information

Comment

• Ancestry.com

I am relatively new to this but came with a rather extensive computer background.

I wanted something on line so I did not have to deal with platforms, storage, etc. It had to be robust in accepting stories, photos, etc. as well as classic ancestry date.

The family records were kept in AncestryQuest.

My experice, with now over 4,500 individuals in the Family tree is that the real power of ancestry.com is its capacity to search in other family trees, wiki style, combined with the extensive data bases such as census.

One mans opinion.

Comment

• I already voted in here, but since voting I have been using a new program. I use Reunion 9 for Mac.

I quite like this program, its easy to use and if you make a mistake in connecting one or more lines, to the clipboard they go to be fixed.

I'm hoping that one day they make genealogy programs where one can add the DNA results into a specifically designed area.

But then again, the notes section is perfectly fine too......

Comment

• Gramps

I use several of the tools you have listed, but I also like to use Gramps to aide me in gathering research information. It's a very powerful genealogy application, well supported, and free. The software can be reviewed and downloaded from http://www.gramps-project.org

Shawn

Comment

• The software package, 'The Master Genealogist' has provisions for DNA. Unfortunately, they have not released a Mac version. I would love to see this for both Mac and Linux.

-Shawn

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
                    I already voted in here, but since voting I have been using a new program. I use Reunion 9 for Mac.

I quite like this program, its easy to use and if you make a mistake in connecting one or more lines, to the clipboard they go to be fixed.

I'm hoping that one day they make genealogy programs where one can add the DNA results into a specifically designed area.

But then again, the notes section is perfectly fine too......

Comment

• Originally posted by dna1900 View Post
                      The software package, 'The Master Genealogist' has provisions for DNA. Unfortunately, they have not released a Mac version. I would love to see this for both Mac and Linux.

-Shawn
                      Roots Magic 4 also has provision fror DNA information

Comment

• I use Family Tree Maker and on my web page use TNG

Comment

• I use 'Gramps' a very powerful Linux program which isn't on the list. I also keep a record at ancestry.com to try and connect with relatives.

Comment

• I use Legacy which is very rich in features but I might switch to GRAMPS

I have used Legacy since ever since I started doing genealogy.

They have a wonderful user group which is really one of the best things because you can get a lot of help there.
                            They also provide free updates when small changes are made to the program.
                            You still have to buy a new program when there is a major revision to the program.
                            It is not so heavy as Family Tree Maker because it does not load the media files like pictures into the main program.
                            If you use windows you should try Legacy it has a lot of former Family Tree Maker users.
                            I personally tried Family Tree Maker once but I was very disappointed with it.
                            The cost of using Family Tree Maker is quite considerable compared to Legacy.
                            I have however switched to Linux as my main operating system and for over a year I have not been very active in genealogy.
                            Once I get back into it I hope to begin using GRAMPS as a supplement to Legacy and eventually I may switch to it. I tried it several years ago and although it didn't have some of the features of Legacy at that time it looked very good to me.

Duane C

Comment

• Tmg

In the mid 1980s there was little choice in genealogy software. My original switch from hand-written paper sheets was to a memory typewriter; it was painful and very limiting. A brief attempt at using PAF demonstrated the applications limitations in documenting research data.
                              A colleague at work was using Roots and provided me with a demo copy for a test drive. From that, began the long journey of following Roots (versions I through V) to The Master Genealogist (TMG), Gold edition (v7).
                              For the average user TMG is probably overkill. It takes time to learn and understand program features. TMG may be compared to Microsoft Word or a full-blown word processing program. If one uses Word for nothing more than writing email text, it is overkill and not worth the expense of purchase and the devotion of time to learn about the features. However, if one is going to publish a dissertation (citations, footnotes, a bibliography, index, charts, and figures) a simple text editor will not suffice.
                              TMG is a very powerful genealogy program. The developers have done an excellent job of designing the program to meet the needs of the professional or advanced amateur genealogist. To meet the need of the individual, the user can tailor program features. Data set “Lists” are maintained for the various elements of research that are referenced - Source, Repository, Place, Event, Tag Type, and Style. As these elements are used, the Lists grow. After the first use, the research element is then re-used for recording subsequent individuals entered into the program.
                              When the initial transfer from Roots V to TMG was initiated, I found that I had recorded my “Place” locations in many different ways. Each spelling error for a location created a new location. States were sometimes recorded with the full spelling, while some locations used the two letter code for the state. My “Place” list was a mess. Likewise, I had recorded various sources in different ways. Making corrections to my data set took time. But, I had the tools to make the corrections and the corrections were globally applied to every individual record where it was used.
                              Genealogy programs have become more sophisticated over the past twenty-five years. Does every genealogy programs now have this capability, probably.
                              Is TMG the perfect genealogy program? no. Like any software program, the user community will continue to identify new features and capabilities. My experience has been that Wholly Genes Software listens and responds to the user community.
                              Last edited by mwhendrix; 2nd February 2010, 08:24 AM. Reason: Incomplete paste of text

Comment

• I started with Brother's Keeper approx. around '94 - the DOS version, too. And have updated through the decades. I remember in the 90s having a problem and calling the phone number for help - and a "voice" answered (John Steed's) who helped with a "computer problem" rather than the software. Now that's service! I would imagine most are pleased with their genealogy software - doubt if many use all the apps provided.

Originally posted by mheffler View Post
                                I did not see Brother's Keeper in your list. I have used it for a decade and watched it grow with me from DOS to Windows.

Comment

Working...
                                X