Batch 435

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch 435

They finally got my mom's sample. Her FF is due 12/14/2011. Now the hard part... waiting.

I am in this batch too with my Y-DNA upgrade from 37 to 67. My results are announced for the 5th of december.

Comment

My wife is in this batch for FF, also expected 14th December. I am predicting she will be a speculative cousin match to myself was we descend from a lot of the same family names in the same locations although if there is a match it pre-dates the current paper trail we have.

Earl.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Davis View Post
        My wife is in this batch for FF, also expected 14th December. I am predicting she will be a speculative cousin match to myself was we descend from a lot of the same family names in the same locations although if there is a match it pre-dates the current paper trail we have.
        Hi Earl,

Keep in mind that not all distant cousins show up. 6th cousins and beyond typically have a 2% or less chance to match. Ref: http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=17#628

-Kai

Comment

Kai, while I have read that before it has been my experience that all of my matches who I have been able to find a connection with has been 6th 7th or 8th cousins, never any closer, even though they are predicted 3rd to 5th. I suspect it has to do with inbreeding on my french canadian lines. Mixing and mixing and mixing again. There are a few 17th century Quebec couples I descend from 5 or more times.

Comment

Did they REALLY meant 10/14/2011 instead of 11/18/2011?! Help!

Hi Everybody! My name is Thea and it is very nice to meet you all! I am new to FamilyTreeDNA and FamilyTreeDNA.com plus, I have some questons about Batch 435. When FamilyTreeDNA received my Family Finder DNA test kit on 10/14/2011. I thought I was going to get my full results back on or around 11/18/2011 because I read under the FAQ's that it USUALLY takes about a full six weeks to get your full results back. But, when I took a look on my pending DNA test results progress it said I would get my results on or around 12/14/2011 which is TEN WEEKS INSTEAD OF SIX WEEKS AND ALMOST DOUBLED THE TIME THAT I HAD EXPECTED TO GET MY RESULTS BACK BY ADDING FOUR MORE WEEKS ON! I was in very high hopes at the beginning with reseaching my family tree and was very excited and eager to take a DNA test, (Sense I HAD to wait a VERY LONG TIME to take one.) and getting my DNA test results back but, now it seems like it is one more disappointment after the other. And plus, I have been waiting very patiencely trying to keep myself occupied but, I am very afraid my patience will run out.
            Does it USUALLY takes about six (At the minamim.) to ten weeks (At the maxamim.) for the DNA test results to come back? Why does the FAQ's ACTUALLY saids six weeks instead of ten and why don't they fix that or make it more clear? What is the minamim and the mazamim time for getting the results back? And did they make a mistake by accidently saying the results will be back on or around 12/14/2011 when they REALLY meant 11/18/2011?
            I am so disappointed and confuse right now! Is it just me or anybody else? I REALLY hope they had make a honest mistake! Please help answer my questions if you can please! Thanks so much! Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGirlTBird! View Post
              Hi Everybody! My name is Thea and it is very nice to meet you all! I am new to FamilyTreeDNA and FamilyTreeDNA.com plus, I have some questons about Batch 435. When FamilyTreeDNA received my Family Finder DNA test kit on 10/14/2011. I thought I was going to get my full results back on or around 11/18/2011 because I read under the FAQ's that it USUALLY takes about a full six weeks to get your full results back. But, when I took a look on my pending DNA test results progress it said I would get my results on or around 12/14/2011 which is TEN WEEKS INSTEAD OF SIX WEEKS AND ALMOST DOUBLED THE TIME THAT I HAD EXPECTED TO GET MY RESULTS BACK BY ADDING FOUR MORE WEEKS ON! I was in very high hopes at the beginning with reseaching my family tree and was very excited and eager to take a DNA test, (Sense I HAD to wait a VERY LONG TIME to take one.) and getting my DNA test results back but, now it seems like it is one more disappointment after the other. And plus, I have been waiting very patiencely trying to keep myself occupied but, I am very afraid my patience will run out.
              Does it USUALLY takes about six (At the minamim.) to ten weeks (At the maxamim.) for the DNA test results to come back? Why does the FAQ's ACTUALLY saids six weeks instead of ten and why don't they fix that or make it more clear? What is the minamim and the mazamim time for getting the results back? And did they make a mistake by accidently saying the results will be back on or around 12/14/2011 when they REALLY meant 11/18/2011?
              I am so disappointed and confuse right now! Is it just me or anybody else? I REALLY hope they had make a honest mistake! Please help answer my questions if you can please! Thanks so much! Have a great day!
              I don't know there's a standard length of time for tests to be completed. I've ordered Y-DNA, mtDNA, and FF tests here, and most of them have posted results well ahead of the estimated completion date. I think they use rather conservative estimates for the dates, so early results are a net positive. Some people have had different experiences though. Many late results I've heard of didn't have enough DNA in the sample for a good read, or something like that. The hardest part of genetic genealogy is waiting.

Comment

When FamilyTreeDNA received my Family Finder DNA test kit on 10/14/2011. I thought I was going to get my full results back on or around 11/18/2011 because I read under the FAQ's that it USUALLY takes about a full six weeks to get your full results back. But, when I took a look on my pending DNA test results progress it said I would get my results on or around 12/14/2011 which is TEN WEEKS INSTEAD OF SIX WEEKS
                The estimate provided in your account is 8 weeks from the date that your kit was sent to the lab. Kits go to the lab every Wednesday, so if your kit was received on 10/14, then it went to the lab on Wednesday 10/19. 8 weeks from then is 12/14.

These are just standard estimates, and Family Finder results do often get posted sooner than the estimates.

Elise
                Last edited by efgen; 28 October 2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Don't fret the stated time frames, they are usually very conservative. My sister's sample was received on 10/12 and was assigned to Batch 434. She received her Family Finder results last night. So it is possible that you will receive your results in the next couple of weeks.

However, there are a lot of variables that could delay your results.

Comment

Hello Thea:

Welcome.

It can be very frustrating to have to wait for results. I have experienced this long wait myself (but I have also experienced very quick results before the time suggested). My Y-67 test was delayed two times (May 15 - Aug 31) but I have also had other tests come back2 or 3 weeks before the 'promised' time.

It is hard to wait, but I always considered I wanted accuracy more than speed.

Good luck - I hope things go well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                      They finally got my mom's sample. Her FF is due 12/14/2011. Now the hard part... waiting.
                      My mom's results came back today, more than a month early! She has 63 matches; we share 28.

Comment

Originally posted by Itai View Post
                        I am in this batch too with my Y-DNA upgrade from 37 to 67. My results are announced for the 5th of december.
                        I just received the results on my 37 to 60 Y-STRs. I am still waiting on markers 61 to 67.

Comment

Factoid Tests

I ordered the full series of Factoid tests for myself. I got everything back so far except for the Warrior Gene.

Has anyone used http://www.snpedia.com to look up their test results and what are your thoughts regarding this site?

Comment

Originally posted by girlperson1 View Post
                            Has anyone used http://www.snpedia.com to look up their test results and what are your thoughts regarding this site?
                            I have; it's interesting, if incomplete. As a crowdsourced website like Wikipedia, the coverage of significant SNPs is rather spotty. Some have extensive information on known genes, links to articles, etc. Others, which in reality have been more extensively studied, barely have any information at all. It all depends on the contributors' interests.

The best part about SNPedia is the free software Promethease. You can download it and input your raw autosomal data, and all the results from SNPedia will then be accessible in a slightly more user-friendly interface.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                              I have; it's interesting, if incomplete. As a crowdsourced website like Wikipedia, the coverage of significant SNPs is rather spotty. Some have extensive information on known genes, links to articles, etc. Others, which in reality have been more extensively studied, barely have any information at all. It all depends on the contributors' interests.

The best part about SNPedia is the free software Promethease. You can download it and input your raw autosomal data, and all the results from SNPedia will then be accessible in a slightly more user-friendly interface.
                              I guess it could be called a "work in progress"....hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X