Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batch Number 432

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Abbreviations

    Sorry everyone, but I am unfamiliar with the terminology,what do"s NPE @ G GF level mean. Thankyou. Julie Dello

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by dello View Post
      Sorry everyone, but I am unfamiliar with the terminology,what do"s NPE @ G GF level mean. Thankyou. Julie Dello
      LOL. Sorry ! Non Paternal Event NPE, at Great Grand Father G GF. It's OK, I didn't know what it was either until I found out I had one.

      I am always amused about this NPE. Non Paternal almost sounds like there was a miracle birth and no 'father' involved at all. Anyway, for the average 'joe', it means illegitimate ...

      One of the cautions for all of us is that old rhyme ... "Mother's have babies and father's have maybes". I've learnt to expect that not every child is the offspring of the mother's spouse. We've all heard that "looked exactly like the milkman" story.

      The NPE occurrence percentage is quite high, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-paternity_event

      Comment


      • #18
        Npe

        Thank you so much, at least you got past the Father, thats one thing, I know who the Father(my late husband) was, to our Son, but its just getting a "handle"/start on that?!!!!!!! He knew he was fostered, and had NO idea who his parents were, heaven knows where our family name came from?! My husband came from Ireland, but the area he said absolutely no leads so far, I am waiting for the Y67, and hope for a miracle, meantime I am wondering if I should get the family finder done on our son?.................

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by dello View Post
          Thank you so much, at least you got past the Father, thats one thing, I know who the Father(my late husband) was, to our Son, but its just getting a "handle"/start on that?!!!!!!! He knew he was fostered, and had NO idea who his parents were, heaven knows where our family name came from?! My husband came from Ireland, but the area he said absolutely no leads so far, I am waiting for the Y67, and hope for a miracle, meantime I am wondering if I should get the family finder done on our son?.................
          So, your late husband, who was presumably born in Ireland, was fostered in Ireland? And I'm guessing the Y-67 test you are waiting on is from your son's swabs - that is, your late husband's biological son?

          Your 'family name' is most likely from the fostering parents if he was with them from very early on. However, not always so ... for example, in my own GGF NPE case, he was a HART as a young boy because he was living with his mother and her new husband, but at the next census, when his mother had died and he was 'grown', he reverted to CLARKE as did his NPE brother - Clarke being his mother's unmarried name - and so our family name has been Clarke since the 1830s.

          I'd wait a little while on the Family Finder - apart from anything else, it will be on sale about Xmas I'm guessing.

          When you get the Y67 results, you may want to look at some projects which are specific to Ireland. The FTDNA Ireland DNA project is huge - I think over 4000 people in it. And there are others, such as the Adopted project which I think you would be able to join. And you can post your results in Y Search and (manually) in several other places to give the widest possible chances.

          I'm a newbie myself, but I am am sure there are people here on this site who will have some very good advice for you. Good luck.

          Comment


          • #20
            Waiting for mtFullSequence(FGS) in this batch.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by JD Edwards View Post
              I got my Family finder results in today ... so I'll be asking plenty of questions soon... JD
              I'm waiting on my FF from the Sale. I heard that because it was priced 'half off', you only get the maternal side ...
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by dello View Post
                Thank you so much, at least you got past the Father, thats one thing, I know who the Father(my late husband) was, to our Son, but its just getting a "handle"/start on that?!!!!!!! He knew he was fostered, and had NO idea who his parents were, heaven knows where our family name came from?! My husband came from Ireland, but the area he said absolutely no leads so far, I am waiting for the Y67, and hope for a miracle, meantime I am wondering if I should get the family finder done on our son?.................
                I'm sure you will feel encouraged when you read this new thread
                http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=29839

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by JD Edwards View Post
                  I got my Family finder results in today ... so I'll be asking plenty of questions soon... JD
                  OK ! Time's Up ! I'm ready to get my FF results early ....

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Mudgeeclarke View Post
                    OK ! Time's Up ! I'm ready to get my FF results early ....

                    I hope that you do!
                    I have 18 pages of FF matches...and have talked with one cousin from among them...I think we are veeery close to figuring out the common ancestor.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JD Edwards View Post
                      I hope that you do!
                      I have 18 pages of FF matches...and have talked with one cousin from among them...I think we are veeery close to figuring out the common ancestor.
                      I've only been on the outside looking in at forum-talk about FF matches, but it seems that (ahem) not all that glitters is gold. Still, with 18 pages of FF matches, one senses you may have a couple of nuggets lurking in the endless seams of gravel (to continue the theme!).

                      As a direct paternal line descendant of an NPE at G GF level, I will be looking at names never seen before, I imagine (unless, horror of horrors, the apple fell under the tree.)

                      In any event, the thrill of the chase is what it's all about, especially as I have been stymied for so many years.

                      Expecting the worst (no matches) and hoping for the best (some real ones) ...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Colin, welcome to the world of the Adoptee!...

                        Unlike many adoptee's I, at least know, the identity of my birth mother. My biological half sister is in Batch 434. When her results are back I can compare them to my 10 pages of results andperhaps isolate paternal relatives. Maybe then I can get some idea about my paternal heritage.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by JPHutchins View Post
                          Colin, welcome to the world of the Adoptee!...

                          Unlike many adoptee's I, at least know, the identity of my birth mother. My biological half sister is in Batch 434. When her results are back I can compare them to my 10 pages of results andperhaps isolate paternal relatives. Maybe then I can get some idea about my paternal heritage.

                          I guess I should say Thank You for the welcome.

                          Because your bio-status is at your own level, I can't even imagine what that must be like in the sense of looking for bio-dad. And of what you do with the information if/when you get it, and the outcome of those decisions.

                          In my case, it's a curiosity factor, and somewhat of a nuisance which has been stunting the growth of the family tree, at least on one major branch. But when I find the answer, it won't have any real impact on me given that it is ~180 years removed. Unless, of course, I am obliged to take possession of some Palace, and henceforth sit in a turret all day long counting my gold pieces. (I haven't made any concrete plans for that happenstance - such as canceling newspaper deliveries).

                          I must go - I see a TV crew in the street outside my door - they must have got a tip-off about my FF results ....

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Results in!

                            Just got my Y-DNA 25 marker test in! Only have one match....more questions and more tests needed!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by N21163 View Post
                              Just got my Y-DNA 25 marker test in! Only have one match....more questions and more tests needed!
                              Yay !

                              Go to y-search (at the bottom of your "my FTDNA" page under 'Tools").

                              And don't overlook manually entering them elsewhere, too.

                              ... you may have more ...

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Good to see results from this batch coming back. Still "WAITING" for FF results

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X