No announcement yet.

Batch 418

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice, I looked at his preferences and he has all the boxes checked, he still has not matches. Have you ever heard of that before? Since he is G I would think he would match someone. My cousin in G and he has lots of matches at the 12 marker.

Originally posted by efgen View Post
    Go to his User Preferences page and see if he's set to be compared only within his projects or with the entire database. If he's set to projects only, change to entire database, and be sure to click Save. Then check his matches again.

If he's already set to be compared to the entire database, then he may not have close enough matches for FTDNA to display them on his Y-DNA Matches page.

The haplotree page only shows 12-marker matches, but those matches can range from 12/12 down to 8/12. However, the Y-DNA Matches page will only show 12/12, and 11/12 only for those in the same project as you. This is because 12-marker matches are extremely broad, so anything less than 11/12 is often not very useful.

Also, some of the entries on the Haplotree matches page are anonymous samples from academic studies -- those won't ever show on your Y-DNA Matches page.

You can also take a look at your Ancestral Origins page -- that shows anonymous matches too, but will show them at 12, 25 and 37 markers. Do you have matches there?

Elise

Comment

My cousin just got his Family finder results back this morning!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deniseneufeld View Post
        My cousin just got his Family finder results back this morning!!!
        Out of curiosity, what was the initial due date for your results?

Comment

August 18th,

Originally posted by katerennie4 View Post

Not all of his test is in, just the population finder part:

Europe (Western European) French, Orcadian, Spanish 52.76%
          East Asia (Siberian) Yakut 5.33 %
          Native American, (Central American) Maya 29.66 %
          Middle Eastern (North African) Mozabite 12.25%

His results look a lot like mine except for the East Asian part
          Last edited by deniseneufeld; 19 July 2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

August 18th,

Not all of his test is in, just the population finder part:

Europe (Western European) French, Orcadian, Spanish 52.76%
            East Asia (Siberian) Yakut 5.33 %
            Native American, (Central American) Maya 29.66 %
            Middle Eastern (North African) Mozabite 12.25%

His results look a lot like mine except for the East Asian part
            interesting! I had been considering doing FF for the population finder but figured it wouldn't be worth much as I'd likely come back as 100% Western European. (lol, Then again, I sometimes think one of my ancestors may have been the son of a master/slave relationship who passed as white in the late 1700s; it's the only reason i can come up with as to why there's no trace of him from an otherwise fairly traceable Quaker family & i have ydna to prove his descent).

I'm a few batches behind, but I'm hoping this means I might at least get my fathers ydna 1-12 markers in the next couple weeks,

Comment

You should do the family finder, it shows some interesting results from different parts of your autosomal DNA, you may find something you never expected.

Denise

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I looked at his preferences and he has all the boxes checked, he still has not matches. Have you ever heard of that before? Since he is G I would think he would match someone. My cousin in G and he has lots of matches at the 12 marker.
                Hi Denise,

Yes, some people just have rare haplotypes (marker values) that don't match anyone. Sometimes it's a single rare value that throws off the matches, other times there are many marker values that are unusual.

Did you also confirm that he's set to be matched against the entire database?

And did you look at his Ancestral Origins page? What does that show?

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by katerennie4 View Post
                  My y-dna 37 marker upgrade is in this batch with a projected date of 8/10. I hope I get them early like I did last time with my 25 marker upgrade. I'm glad to see people are starting to get results from this batch.

Comment

His test is not all the way completed yet, he still has all the 67 markers and the mtdna part of the test that is still pending, so no origins show up yet.
                    Maybe matches will show up once the whole test is completed?

Hi Denise,

Yes, some people just have rare haplotypes (marker values) that don't match anyone. Sometimes it's a single rare value that throws off the matches, other times there are many marker values that are unusual.

Did you also confirm that he's set to be matched against the entire database?

And did you look at his Ancestral Origins page? What does that show?

Elise

Comment

His test is not all the way completed yet, he still has all the 67 markers and the mtdna part of the test that is still pending, so no origins show up yet.
                      Maybe matches will show up once the whole test is completed?
                      Hi Denise,

His mtDNA results aren't related to the Y-DNA Ancestral Origins info -- they're completely separate.

He also doesn't need the complete 67 markers to see Ancestral Origins for 12, 25 and 37 markers.

So if the Y-DNA Ancestral Origins doesn't show anything now, then he just doesn't have any matches that are close enough to display.

If you haven't already, I definitely recommend joining him to the Haplogroup G project:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/G-YDNA

The administrators of the haplogroup projects are very knowledgeable about their haplogroups, so they may be able to give you some better insight into why your dad isn't matching anyone.

Elise

Comment

I just added him to the Haplogroup G group, I also just noticed that they added a new test to his page Y-HAP-Backbone(Backbone) , I am not sure what that is all about?

Hi Denise,

His mtDNA results aren't related to the Y-DNA Ancestral Origins info -- they're completely separate.

He also doesn't need the complete 67 markers to see Ancestral Origins for 12, 25 and 37 markers.

So if the Y-DNA Ancestral Origins doesn't show anything now, then he just doesn't have any matches that are close enough to display.

If you haven't already, I definitely recommend joining him to the Haplogroup G project:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/G-YDNA

The administrators of the haplogroup projects are very knowledgeable about their haplogroups, so they may be able to give you some better insight into why your dad isn't matching anyone.

Elise

Comment

I just added him to the Haplogroup G group, I also just noticed that they added a new test to his page Y-HAP-Backbone(Backbone) , I am not sure what that is all about?
                          I just responded to your other post about the Backbone test -- it's to confirm his haplogroup

Elise

Comment

Thanks, and I just got my father mtDNA results yesterday, he has almost 2000 matches at the HV1 level, the difference in matches between the Y and mtDNA is very interesting.

Comment

New Results?

Anybody gotten any new results in this batch lately? I'm still waiting on a y-dna 25 to 37 marker upgrade in this batch expected 8/10/11. It's been about six weeks since I ordered, so this one is taking a bit longer than my 25 marker upgrade, the results of which, they posted way ahead of schedule.

Comment

Wow, the day I choose to whine about not getting results, I received them today -- still ahead of the projected date by a couple of weeks. Shows 1 match at the 37 marker level with my surname at a genetic distance of 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X