Batch 321

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gtc View Post
    On reflection, perhaps they notify all members of the same batch at the conclusion of the batch.
    No, it doesn't work like that! You will receive your results as they are known to FTDNA. I once had a panel done in which I got results of all but one allele, and when it came back, it was a doozey - a double result they had never seen before and don't have an answer for - but they didn't hold up giving me the results of the rest of the panel.

So hang tough - happy days to come.
    Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by jcoulter View Post
      I do not want to sound like a shill for ftdna, but what is to be gained by going off for testing elsewhere? What new angle? What action? Your genes won't change. I hope
      The different angle I see is a less genealogical angle... I know I have all the mtDNA information I could ever ask for from *anywhere* (I got FGS), and my YDNA results are pretty well satisfied, as is evidenced by my recent order of needless STRs.

For genealogy, FTDNA is the only place I feel I need to use.

23andMe offers a different service, like health related items, which is pretty much in its infancy (and mostly a novelty), but still interesting - especially now that it isn't $1000. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by justusla View Post
        No, it doesn't work like that! You will receive your results as they are known to FTDNA.
        Hi,

The point I was addressing is the late delivery of the email notification that one's results have been posted on their My FTDNA Home site. It seems to be a common experience that the email notification arrives 4 to 6 weeks after that event.

All individual test orders are complied into batches, which presumably take 4 to 6 weeks to get through. My guess is that when the entire batch of individual orders is finalized, the email notifications go out to all people who were in that batch.

Comment

Originally posted by sanelson View Post
          23andMe offers a different service
          I think the key difference is that 23andMe looks at your entire 23 chromosome set, not just the X and Y gender chromosomes. Another difference is that they present your ancestry information in a different, more detailed, fashion.

However, it's not my role or intention to spruik the competition here, so those interested should have a look at the 23andMe website.

Comment

^ Perhaps you misspoke when you stated:

...not just the X and Y gender chromosomes...

The "usual" testing at FTDNA is YDNA and mtDNA. Of course you can also order X STR tests, but this does not work in the way that "normal" genetic genealogy does.

23andMe will give you results for chromosomes 1 - 22 and Y &/or X as well as mtDNA. The mtDNA is a very limited version of what FTDNA gives you in the FGS, and they are not at all comparable in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
              ^ Perhaps you misspoke when you stated:

...not just the X and Y gender chromosomes...
              How so? 22 pairs of autosomes plus a pair of gender chromosomes being either X+X or X+Y.

As far as I'm aware, FTDNA does not test the 22 autosome pairs.

Comment

When you stated the following:

I think the key difference is that 23andMe looks at your entire 23 chromosome set, not just the X and Y gender chromosomes. Another difference is that they present your ancestry information in a different, more detailed, fashion.
                I thought your "not jut the X and Y..." portion was referring back to tests that FTDNA "normally" does, which would be incorrect. They "normally" look at Y and mtDNA.

I was just hoping to clarify that for whoever you were stating this to.

I'm quite aware of the testing that 23andMe uses.

Comment

Initial results in

Y DNA 1-12 came in today, 25 days ahead of schedule ... hopefully the rest of it will be quick too...

Comment

My L148 result came in today, 20 days ahead of ETA, so now I'm through with batch 321.

It will be interesting to note when and if I get an email to that effect.

Comment

I just received my Y-DNA marker 26-37 results today and I also received an e-mail advising me of this. The posted due date was 9/28/09.

Comment

Working...
                      X