• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch 235 Created

X-STR Markers Panel 1 01/21/2008 235
    DYF385(DYF385) 01/21/2008 235
    DYF411(DYF411) 01/21/2008 235

Confirming my Y Haplogroup

One would think that ordering the Y-DNA 67 Marker Test (which FTDNA describes as "the highest resolution Y-DNA test in the world") would be enough to confirm my haplogroup, but I guess not... So in this batch is:

DeepSNP-I(DSNP-I) 01/21/2008 - The following SNP's have not yet produced a clear result and are in the process of retesting: M161, M170, M21, M223, M227, M253, M258, M26, M307, M72, P19, P30, P37.2, P38

And so the waiting begins again...

Comment

Originally posted by kokeb
      One would think that ordering the Y-DNA 67 Marker Test (which FTDNA describes as "the highest resolution Y-DNA test in the world") would be enough to confirm my haplogroup, but I guess not.
      FTDNA has a little known policy called the SNP Assurance Program:

http://www.ftdna.com/SNP_assurance.html

This says that if the Genographic Project rejects you because your haplogroup prediction is even mildly uncertain, FTDNA will run a haplogroup (SNP) test on your sample at no cost to you and without any action on your part. You can find out whether the Genographic Project will accept you by clicking on the Genographic Project tab of your FTDNA account.

Unfortunately, FTDNA does not publicize this program; and so, many customers end up ordering a deepSNP test that may be unnecessary or even redundant.

Since you ordered the deepSNP test for haplogroup I, I assume that FTDNA predicts that you belong to I or some subgroup of it. What exactly is their prediction? And is the Genographic Project willing to accept you on the basis of that prediction?
      Last edited by lgmayka; 6 December 2007, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I was predicted as I1a and the message under the Genographic Project section said it would not accept my results as they are. When I clicked on the link provided it sent me to a page where I had to order the Deep SNP test for more money. Was I supposed to get this for free?

Comment

This is sooo crazy. I guess someone at FTDNA must be keeping up with these forums. When I log in NOW the Genographic Project is accepting my results. Of course 2 DAYS AGO when I purchased my Deep SNP through the link on the Genographic Project page it was not a good enough haplogroup prediction to transfer over.

Comment

Originally posted by kokeb
            When I log in NOW the Genographic Project is accepting my results. Of course 2 DAYS AGO when I purchased my Deep SNP through the link on the Genographic Project page it was not a good enough haplogroup prediction to transfer over.
            I think that once you ordered a deepSNP test, the Genographic Project decided to accept you on the basis that you will have solid confirmation of your haplogroup when your deepSNP results arrive.

With respect to the question of whether you "should have gotten this for free": Yes and no. If you had simply waited, FTDNA would have scheduled a so-called backbone SNP test. This test would probably have confirmed your I1a membership, but it might have simply placed you in I. The deepSNP test, in contrast, not only guarantees to place you in I1a (if that is where you belong), but it will also check for any further subgroups like I1a4.

Nevertheless, it is very unfortunate that FTDNA does not better publicize the SNP Assurance Program, because I think many customers end up purchasing a deepSNP test unnecessarily. That is, the simple backbone SNP test would have met their immediate need. I think that as soon as FTDNA posts your first 12 markers, your Haplogroup tab should immediately say (if appropriate), "A free backbone SNP test will be scheduled."

Comment

Batch 235 created 12/05/2007

DNA Isolation began 12/08/2007

DNA at Sequencing facility 12/21/2007

Y-DNA12+mtDNA(HVR1) 01/30/2008 235

Y-DNA12+mtDNA(Y-DNA1-12 Markers) 01/18/2008 235

Comment

mtDNA(HVR1) came in almost a month early as:

Haplogroup V - 16298C

Comment

Delay in Y-DNA1-12 Markers Results (Batch 235)

Got this email today:

Your result failed to produce a clear result in this run. Below is a status
                  update for your test, as well as an estimated time of when the next rerun is
                  expected to be completed:

STR - 2/8/2008 This test failed to yield results for your sample. Your sample
                  is being rerun now. Results from this round of testing are expected by this
                  date.

Wondering how widespread this is within Batch 235?

Comment

Wow! And now the turn-around, posted the next day!

And now Y-DNA1-12 has been posted! J2, so far, as was expected as compared to my 1st cousin's Y-DNA1-37 results (subclade tested), which has him as J2f (J2a1b under the new designation).

So glad this came in because I am not very patient watching paint dry...

Comment

SNP Assurance Program Invoked on My Y-DNA Sample

Very friendly Customer Service here at FTDNA! I tried to add my Y-DNA results to the Genographic Project via the link on my personal page, but was rejected because my Y-DNA results did not include a haplogroup determined by SNP testing. So I emailed [email protected] and inquired if I qualified for the SNP Assurance Program, in this case. A couple of hours later, I received an email that indeed I did. Shortly afterwards, I received another email advising that a free Y-HAP-Backbone test had been ordered for me; my personal page had also been updated to state the pending Y-HAP-Backbone test would be part of Batch 241 with a project result date of March 10, 2008.

I am very impressed with this great customer service, and am one happy camper!

Wayne
                      Last edited by graybison; 23 January 2008, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by graybison
                        Very friendly Customer Service here at FTDNA!

I am very impressed with this great customer service, and am one happy camper!
                        I too am very impressed. They are the best!

Comment

I've always had positive communication with them.

Comment

Testy failures on the rise?

Looks like FTDNA has a lot of test failures lately. Just in my group of 36 people we've experienced three failures in the past month, mostly on the FGS test or upgrade from HVR1 to HVR2. I have failures in batches 229, 235 and 236. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment

Delayed FSG test results for one member came in today.

Comment

Working...
                              X