X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick
    replied
    Originally posted by efgen
    An entire cluster of us in J2f1 have 13.1 at DYS464b. FTDNA reports only whole numbers from their standard test, so 13.1 is rounded down to 13.

In your case, 14.3 was rounded up to 15. Why up? Because the .3 isn't an actual decimal value; instead it means you have 3 (of the 4) bases in that repeat, which is more than half.
    It is a shame they ever rounded these values to the closest whole repeat value. Such cases of partial repeats would be extremely helpful in surname studies or in evaluating close haplotype matches. It seems reporting partial repeat results would no more difficult than reporting the rounded results. Too bad most folks won't order the advanced 464 test (or other applicable markers), so we'll never be able to confirm the real values for most folks in ysearch, etc....unless of course ftdna corrects the original reported results for all markers with partial repeats (oficially hinting and begging here).

Leave a comment:

• efgen
    replied
    An entire cluster of us in J2f1 have 13.1 at DYS464b. FTDNA reports only whole numbers from their standard test, so 13.1 is rounded down to 13.

In your case, 14.3 was rounded up to 15. Why up? Because the .3 isn't an actual decimal value; instead it means you have 3 (of the 4) bases in that repeat, which is more than half.

Leave a comment:

• Johnserrat
    replied
    Apparently 13% of samples in an Austrian study showed "intermediate alleles" like 14.3. Who knew?

"Titre du document / Document title
    Molecular characterization and Austrian Caucasian population data of the multi-copy Y-chromosomal STR DYS464
    Auteur(s) / Author(s)
    BERGER Burkhard (1) ; NIEDERSTÄTTER Harald (1) ; BRANDSTÄTTER Anita (1) ; PARSON Walther (1) ;
    Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
    (1) Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Innsbruck, Müllerstrasse 44, 6020 Innsbruck, AUTRICHE

Résumé / Abstract
    DYS464 is a multi-copy STR system with four positions on the Y-chromosome (DYS464a, b, c, and d) which was recently identified and characterized [Forensic Sci. Int. 130 (2002) 97]. The aims of our study were to perform a population study, to estimate the mutation rate and an extensive sequence analysis in order to confirm the nomenclature. Fourteen different alleles were found in an Austrian population sample with an allele length varying from 9 to 19 repeats. All alleles were cloned and sequenced. Alleles 9-19 showed the general repeat structure (CCTT)[n]... (CCTT)[2]... (CCTT)[3]... (CCTT)[4]... (CCTT)[2]... (CCTT)[2]. The nomenclature is based on the number of repeated units of the variable (CCTT)[n]-stretch only. In 13% of the samples intermediate alleles, namely 14.3A, 14.3B and 15.3 were detected. In these alleles the variable repeat block is interrupted by a CTT motif (14.3A: (CCTT)[3]CTT(CCTT)[11]; 14.3B and 15.3: (CCTT)[7]CTT(CCTT)[7/8]). A comparison with GenBank entries revealed the existence of a length variant due to a deletion of one cytosine in the 5' flanking region of the first repeat block. We designed an alternative forward primer to circumvent possible ambiguities in the allele designation. A total of 54 different genotypes were identified in 135 men corresponding to a discrimination capacity (DC) of 40% and a gene diversity (GD) of 0.97. These values are much higher than those of other Y-chromosomal short tandem repeats (Y-SRs). DYS464 has the same haplotype diversity (HD) as the combination of the five Y-STR loci with the lowest gene diversities of the Y-STR core set. On the other hand, a combination of the three most diverse loci (DYS464, DYS385 and DYS390) has the same capacity to distinguish between paternal lineages than the complete minimal haplotype (minHT) consisting of eight Y-STR loci. In our population sample the addition of DYS464 to the minHT increases the number of different haplotypes from 110 to 122. The mutation-rate estimate based on the 70 meioses analyzed amounts to 2.86 x 10[-2] (95% confidence interval 3.5 x 10[-3] to 9.95 x 10[-2]). This value is approximately 10 times higher than the average mutation-rate estimate for Y-STRs."

John

Leave a comment:

• Johnserrat
    replied
    I have finally received my last batch 174 results.

However, the result does not match my prior result completely. Before my DYS464 result was 14, 15, 15, 15. My new result is 14, 14.3, 15, 15. I did not know that you could get a partial on DYS464.

John

Leave a comment:

• marvallen
    replied
    John,

You must be the last one left holding the bag, awaiting results from this Batch. Good luck!!! Since I sweated out the wait on this one down to "next to last", I'm going to "give it a rest" for a while before venturing back into the "DNA testing waters"....

Leave a comment:

• Johnserrat
    replied
    Congratulations Marv,

I am still waiting for DYS464X. Will the last batch 174 results ever come in....

John

Leave a comment:

• marvallen
    replied
    Finally got all of my results reported. DYS42 = 13. All re-checks done, all problems resolved. Think I'm done for a few weeks. Just wish FTDNA would add the new markers to their surname pages.....

Leave a comment:

• Johnserrat
    replied
    Five months late today and still waiting for some results No new due date either....

John

Leave a comment:

• Jukka
    replied
    Originally posted by marvallen
    Still waiting for the elusive DYS462 marker from this batch....Hope results are in when I get back from vacation in a few weeks. Hope they resolve the screwup on the re-run of DYS 385 also...
    DYS435(DYS435) 04.06.2007 174
    DYS726(DYS726) 04.06.2007 174
    Y-GGAAT-1B07(Y-GGAAT-1B07) 04.06.2007 175

Leave a comment:

• marvallen
    replied
    Still waiting for the elusive DYS462 marker from this batch....Hope results are in when I get back from vacation in a few weeks. Hope they resolve the screwup on the re-run of DYS 385 also...

Leave a comment:

• marvallen
    replied
    Still waiting for my DYS462.....Maybe in a couple of more months.....

Leave a comment:

• J Man
    replied
    I finally got my DYS413 results today and it feels good! About time!

Leave a comment:

• Johnserrat
    replied
    I just got my DYS 413 results. Now I'm just waiting for DYS 464X and my batch 191 results which are also late.

John

Leave a comment:

• marvallen
    replied
    Another due date come and gone....Will results ever arrive or will this batch 174 just fade away with time?

Leave a comment:

• marvallen
    replied
    In other batches, I have gotten my results early or on time. However, since this batch has been jinxed from the start (22 Nov 2006), I have learned not to "hold my breath".....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X