For those awaiting deepSNP test results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those awaiting deepSNP test results

In a recent email, Eileen Krause explained that in some cases, FTDNA must withhold some partial deepSNP results because they would trigger a confusing haplogroup classification for the customer and skew the haplogroup predictions of other customers. FTDNA is of course re-running SNP tests as necessary, but they cannot risk posting such misleading partial results in the meantime.

Here are two examples from the email:
    ---
    He tested positive for R and R1, negative for R1a1a and R1a1c, but failed to produce a result for R1a, R1a1, and R1a1b. Since if we posted partial results his haplogroup would be listed as R1 (which would be misleading and a source of great confusion for participants with partial results) we were unable to upload the partial results.
    ---
    This kit tested positive for R and negative for R1a1a, R1a1b, and R1a1c (and R2). Since his sample failed for R1, R1a, and R1a1, if partial results were posted he would be labeled by the system as a confirmed R, which would again lead to confusion (as well as cause our system to mispredict large numbers of other people in our database).
    ---

So, it is perfectly understandable that FTDNA would not want to post such misleading partial results. Customers must be patient, but they can be assured that their tests have not been forgotten.

I think someone else was told (and posted) that some of these deepSNP tests are being re-tuned and re-certified, to reduce the failure rate.

No worries...

Originally posted by lgmayka
    In a recent email, Eileen Krause explained that in some cases, FTDNA must withhold some partial deepSNP results because they would trigger a confusing haplogroup classification for the customer and skew the haplogroup predictions of other customers. FTDNA is of course re-running SNP tests as necessary, but they cannot risk posting such misleading partial results in the meantime.

Here are two examples from the email:
    ---
    He tested positive for R and R1, negative for R1a1a and R1a1c, but failed to produce a result for R1a, R1a1, and R1a1b. Since if we posted partial results his haplogroup would be listed as R1 (which would be misleading and a source of great confusion for participants with partial results) we were unable to upload the partial results.
    ---
    This kit tested positive for R and negative for R1a1a, R1a1b, and R1a1c (and R2). Since his sample failed for R1, R1a, and R1a1, if partial results were posted he would be labeled by the system as a confirmed R, which would again lead to confusion (as well as cause our system to mispredict large numbers of other people in our database).
    ---

So, it is perfectly understandable that FTDNA would not want to post such misleading partial results. Customers must be patient, but they can be assured that their tests have not been forgotten.

I think someone else was told (and posted) that some of these deepSNP tests are being re-tuned and re-certified, to reduce the failure rate.
    Yes, they mostly have issues with tuning and callibrating the M37 and P66 markers... hopefully they might work in about 1-2 weeks so they can start doing the reruns... We're looking at a long summer on this This is new stuff for them so it's quite understandable... But I'm also waiting on the Y-37 to Y-67 markers upgrade and that has been very stale... they're running 5 weeks late and I have not received anything, not even a change of the tarrget dates, either on the website or via e-mail. In addition, this morning I got all excited about having a 37 match (on 34, 35, 36 or 37 markers), as they sent me an e-mail 2 1/2 hours ago, but when I went to see it displayed I kept getting runtime errors. When I finally got in (only a few times, now I'm back to the same error messages) there was no 37 marker match displayed... Talk about knowing the candy should be there and yet not being able to see it!
    Last edited by 29149; 8 July 2006, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Draghici
      Yes, they mostly have issues with tuning and callibrating the M37 and P66 markers.
      That is only within R1b1c. FTDNA is actually having trouble with SNPs in almost every haplogroup. In Hg G, FTDNA can't seem to discern P15 (for G2). In R1a, FTDNA is having difficulty reading SRY10831.2 (for R1a) and M17 (for R1a1). And these are just the ones known to be unreadable for more than one customer.

Comment

Difficulties

Originally posted by lgmayka
        That is only within R1b1c. FTDNA is actually having trouble with SNPs in almost every haplogroup. In Hg G, FTDNA can't seem to discern P15 (for G2). In R1a, FTDNA is having difficulty reading SRY10831.2 (for R1a) and M17 (for R1a1). And these are just the ones known to be unreadable for more than one customer.
        So I guess they must be breaking new territory then...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Draghici
          Yes, they mostly have issues with tuning and callibrating the M37 and P66 markers... hopefully they might work in about 1-2 weeks so they can start doing the reruns... We're looking at a long summer on this This is new stuff for them so it's quite understandable... But I'm also waiting on the Y-37 to Y-67 markers upgrade and that has been very stale... they're running 5 weeks late and I have not received anything, not even a change of the tarrget dates, either on the website or via e-mail. In addition, this morning I got all excited about having a 37 match (on 34, 35, 36 or 37 markers), as they sent me an e-mail 2 1/2 hours ago, but when I went to see it displayed I kept getting runtime errors. When I finally got in (only a few times, now I'm back to the same error messages) there was no 37 marker match displayed... Talk about knowing the candy should be there and yet not being able to see it!
          I recieved an email that stated i have a 37 marker match...when i tried to find the match ..it wasn't listed. My Ghostly 37 marker match remains elusive.

Comment

What's happening?

Originally posted by M.O'Connor
            I recieved an email that stated i have a 37 marker match...when i tried to find the match ..it wasn't listed. My Ghostly 37 marker match remains elusive.
            Things seem to be running wild at FTDNA lately!

Comment

37 marker matches

Now that someone mentioned it, I received ten e-mails about matches but not all of them were on my Matches page. There were supposedly five 25 marker matches and five 37 marker matches. On my 25 marker matches two people with a distance of 1 appeared and ten people with a distance of two. Only one 37 marker match with a distance of 4 was listed. Of the 25 marker matches, 8 of them had 37 marker tests done but only the one was listed under the 37 marker match.

Comment

Ghost and fluctuating matches...

Originally posted by R2-D2
                Now that someone mentioned it, I received ten e-mails about matches but not all of them were on my Matches page. There were supposedly five 25 marker matches and five 37 marker matches. On my 25 marker matches two people with a distance of 1 appeared and ten people with a distance of two. Only one 37 marker match with a distance of 4 was listed. Of the 25 marker matches, 8 of them had 37 marker tests done but only the one was listed under the 37 marker match.
                Not only that I have fictional matches that do not appear on my matches page but even the existing matches seem to fluctuate from time to time... it varies from 3 to 7, back and forth, with the same names... Very strange... It's almost like tides sweeping the shore

Comment

On errors

Originally posted by R2-D2
                  Here's the e-mail I received today regarding these errors:

Hello,

Thank you for your email. The automatically generated message you received about a match was generated by mistake. We uploaded new results this weekend and many people who had new 12 marker matches (and some who apparently did not have any new matches at all) received the wrong email, which told them that they got a new match at either 25 or 37 markers instead of at 12 markers. While you may have a new 12 marker match, you do not have a new 25 or 37 marker match at this time. I apologize for this mistake. Our IT team is working on the problem at this time in order to make sure that this type of error does not happen again.

Additionally, many FTDNA members who are trying to access their profile are experiencing run-time errors. This is also a result of a glitch on our end and our IT department is working to solve this matter as well.

Thank you for your patience.

Have a lovely day.

Sierra Netz
                  Family Tree DNA
                  http://www.familytreedna.com
                  713-868-1438

Comment

Working...
                  X