Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mtDNA trouble at FTDNA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mtDNA trouble at FTDNA

    I just received the following email from FTDNA, concerning my mtDNA results which were originally due on May 3 in batch 143:
    ---
    There are three sections to the test; one to test for the haplogroup by SNP, one to sequence the HVR1 region, and a third to sequence the HVR2 region. The SNP test is the only portion of the test which produced clear and complete results, and assigns you to the mtDNA haplogroup H (the most common haplogroup found in European populations). The sequences for the HVR1 and HVR2 regions have failed to produce a result twice, so the lab is trying a third time using the second sample you provided. We just received the results for the second attempt, so we expect the results from the third attempt to be complete in early or mid July.
    ---

    Keep in mind that over a month ago, I was assured: "Nothing wrong with your DNA...the Y processed just fine." If FTDNA's mtDNA process has now failed twice, it is frankly difficult to believe that "third time's the charm."

    Very discouraging. Too bad ArgusBio.com isn't fully operational yet:

    http://www.argusbio.com/store/produc...products_id=29

  • #2
    I don't know if your backgroud is in molecular biology or not, so I don't know if what I am going to explain here is known to you: each test is a different test - Y-DNA, mtDNA and SNP, and each of them are set to interact with a different chemical reaction.
    We have seen a few situations where in the case of some individual's DNA (very small number) the primers used to check HVR1 and HVR2 failed. This cannot be verified after the first or the second attempt, because we have to consider other possibilities, and is unrelated to how well your DNA processed for the SNP or Y-DNA. But, if after the 3rd attemp the problems persists and the DNA worked fine for the other tests, the conclusion is that we need to change the primer for your HVR1/HVR2 test.
    So, I can confirm what has been said before -"nothing wrong with your DNA", and the process - in your case, and very few other cases - may require different primers.
    Like you, we also wish that DNA tests would be as simple as pulling a product out of the shelf.
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

    Comment


    • #3
      mtDNA trouble

      I had a similar problem with mine, too. Apparently it only happens in a small number of cases. My second sample worked, but it took a really long time. Since I went through the Genographic Project the first time around, I had the hardest time getting an answer as to why my sample was taking so long...

      But here's the answer I got:
      "We run each sample 3 different ways...a forward primer through the HVR-1
      Hypervariable region. The a backwards primer through the same region (we do
      this bemuse of an area in the mtDNA that doesn't process well if you have
      several mutations between base pairs 16,179-16,191, so this allow us to get
      the samples out faster. Then we also run each sample through a panel of 20
      SNP's to determine ones HAPLOGROUP.

      In your case both forward and reverse primer failed. A situation that
      occurs less then 2% of the time. Most of your SNP test did work so I can
      tell you that you are + for a mutations at base pair 12705 which means that
      you are , at this moment in Haplogroup R, but that will likely be more
      refined once the lab gets your forward/backward sequence running. At this
      point there are 5 samples outstanding of 1379 from your batch, and we have
      moved your sample to re-run using a different primer analysis which
      generally resolves a challenging sample."


      Not sure if yours had the exact same problem or not... I'm now waiting on my HVR2 results, and I'm curious to see if the same thing happens.

      Mainly I just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain...Eight weeks seems long, then when you add on extra time because of problems it feels like forever. At least we've got the Forum to keep us busy.

      Good luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by admin
        But, if after the 3rd attemp the problems persists and the DNA worked fine for the other tests, the conclusion is that we need to change the primer for your HVR1/HVR2 test.
        My kit was received on March 7. Today, I was told, FTDNA had just completed, unsuccessfully, its second attempt. What you're telling me is that FTDNA will make one more attempt with the same procedure, which will almost certainly fail, and will realistically take us up to the end of July. (A re-run at FTDNA now appears to have a 6-week turnaround.)

        The fourth attempt, beginning in August, will use a different primer and will probably succeed by mid-September. Total time elapsed from sample to results: more than 6 months.

        Sigh. Better late than never, I guess. But thank you for at least giving me hope that eventually, this process will complete successfully.
        Last edited by lgmayka; 15 June 2006, 03:13 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lgmayka

          Keep in mind that over a month ago, I was assured: "Nothing wrong with your DNA...the Y processed just fine." If FTDNA's mtDNA process has now failed twice, it is frankly difficult to believe that "third time's the charm."

          Very discouraging. Too bad ArgusBio.com isn't fully operational yet:

          http://www.argusbio.com/store/produc...products_id=29

          When you make the game out of posting and build up expections . and then some set back happens. the wait turns harder. look it will come go do what ever else you do in your life . and then before you know it the results will come

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jim Denning
            When you make the game out of posting and build up expections . and then some set back happens. the wait turns harder. look it will come go do what ever else you do in your life . and then before you know it the results will come
            Ironically, that has been part of the problem for the past 6 weeks. Instead of telling me straight-out that a re-test will take 6 weeks, FTDNA repeatedly said, "Within 1 to 2 weeks." FTDNA said that several times successively, as each fortnight would come and go.

            That is why, despite FTDNA's latest claim of early to mid-July, I will assume that the next re-test will take another 6 weeks, which puts me at the end of July.

            As you know, FTDNA never updates the official dates on the customer web page. Mine continues to say May 3.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lgmayka
              Ironically, that has been part of the problem for the past 6 weeks. Instead of telling me straight-out that a re-test will take 6 weeks, FTDNA repeatedly said, "Within 1 to 2 weeks." FTDNA said that several times successively, as each fortnight would come and go.

              That is why, despite FTDNA's latest claim of early to mid-July, I will assume that the next re-test will take another 6 weeks, which puts me at the end of July.

              As you know, FTDNA never updates the official dates on the customer web page. Mine continues to say May 3.
              so since you expect late july go have a life and one day in early july bingo there hey are
              go have some summer fun with a friend and make some more dnas to test

              Comment

              Working...
              X