No announcement yet.

Why my results are not back yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, Family Tree DNA is not able to monitor every post on the forum or always respond. We provide the forum as a place for individuals to communicate with one another. This particular thread for example, is for group administrators to discuss topics relevant to project administration.

As you know, we always work to provide your results in a timely manner. Due to the nature of DNA testing though, this is not always possible. We understand your concerns, and continue to push the lab to improve their success rates. Because the tests involve a series of chemical processes, not all samples will get results the first time although the vast majority do.

Because we cannot look up the individual results associated with a forum ID or answer every question posted on the forum, we encourage you to always contact us with any questions you may have at [email protected] or 713-868-1438. This way we can provide a response for your individual sample.

Although only a small percent of tests must be run again, we still strive to improve this and to improve the speed with which your results are delivered when your test must be rerun. Our rates of undelivered results after 2 months fall to less than 1% which from a scientific perspective is excellent, but for that 1% we understand it is not good enough yet which is why we continue to work to improve.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LeahW
      Our rates of undelivered results after 2 months fall to less than 1% which from a scientific perspective is excellent, but for that 1% we understand it is not good enough yet which is why we continue to work to improve.
      From my experience with the Polish project:

I think that the '1%' figure that Leah quotes is for initial orders. Upgrades seem to have a somewhat lower on-time rate. 37-to-67 upgrades are still struggling somewhat, and deepSNP tests are still in deep doo-doo. (But they are at another major testing company too.)

To be fair, some other projects report much better on-time rates even for upgrades. I often wonder whether FTDNA's materials, equipment, and procedures are unintentionally 'tuned' for Western European DNA, hence they experience a higher on-time rate than Eastern Europeans do.
      Last edited by lgmayka; 17 October 2006, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Draghici
        Here's the latest I received by e-mail:

"Hello Dan,

We’ll be changing these dates over the next week. We’re having a lot of trouble getting M37 and P66 to work properly, so we don’t have a firm date by which we expect the results to arrive; first we are attempting several different methods to get these two SNPs to work, and once we have them working we’ll run everyone for them.

E-mail any time,
        Eileen Krause
        Anthrogenealogy Response Center
        Family Tree DNA
        http://www.familytreedna.com
        713-868-1438"

Has anybody recieved any word on P66 and M37 ?

Comment

Originally posted by M.O'Connor
          Has anybody recieved any word on P66 and M37 ?
          I received a P66- result. Still waiting on M37, M153 and M160

Comment

Originally posted by LeahW
            Our rates of undelivered results after 2 months fall to less than 1% which from a scientific perspective is excellent, but for that 1% we understand it is not good enough yet which is why we continue to work to improve.
            Cool! On 10/28 I'll be part of the "1% club", can't wait for that!

Comment

still waiting for M37 and P66

Still waiting for Batch 154's M37 and P66. due date was 7-9-06

R1B1C (so far)
              MtDna U*

Comment

Family Tree...where are the results for ....P66 M37, and M160. ??

So what do we do Family Tree?.. give up on these snp's?

Is there another company who tests, and has success with these missing SNP's?
                Last edited by M.O'Connor; 23 October 2006, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I don't know M37, but I was tested for P66 (and came up negative) by Ethnoancestry.

Comment

As far as I know

M37+ = R1B1C1

M160+ = R1B1C5

P66+ = R1b1c8

Comment

I sent an email the other day to FTDNA asking:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Any news on the 3 missing snp's?

M37

M160

P66

How much time is FTDNA devoting to finding these results?

I am wondering if I have to go elsewhere for results?

M. O'Connor

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa

Here is the Reply I recieved

Thanks for your email. I apologize for the delay in seeing your R1b SNP results. As you know, we have successfully re-validated these SNPs and everyone who is waiting on the results has been pulled and is in the process of being re-run. We are expecting these overdue results to start arriving in about 3 weeks. When we were first successful in revalidating these SNPs, we did not fully understand how difficult it would be for the lab to pull the small amount of DNA necessary for the hundreds of samples waiting for these results. Because it must be done by hand the lab is moving much slower than expected in order to be as cautious as possible to avoid any errors. We are currently working to come up with a better way to solve this problem.

Have a lovely day.

Sierra Netz

Family Tree DNA

http://www.familytreedna.com

713-868-1438

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Another 3 weeks? I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

FTDNA released results on some deepSNPs the other day, for R1a and E3b. Here is my project's current list of overdue results, with their due dates:

No results at all
                        --------------------
                        DeepSNP-R1a, 3/13
                        HVR1+HVR2, 8/23
                        38to67, 8/28
                        DeepSNP-I, 9/4
                        DeepSNP-J, 9/25
                        DeepSNP-J, 10/9
                        DeepSNP-R1b, 10/9
                        48to67, 10/9
                        DeepSNP-I, 10/16
                        26to37, 10/18
                        26to37, 10/25

Partial results
                        -----------------
                        DeepSNP-R1b, 6/19
                        DeepSNP-J, 6/19
                        DeepSNP-R1b, 7/17
                        DeepSNP-J, 8/28
                        DeepSNP-R1b, 9/18
                        DeepSNP-R1b, 9/18

The months go by. Let us remember that each of these orders was placed about 7 weeks before the due date listed above. Thus, an order that is more than 2 months late actually means that the customer has been waiting 4 months or more.
                        Last edited by lgmayka; 29 October 2006, 10:19 AM.

Comment

My stepdad got his I SNP today (I1c) and I got three vials to send in new scrapings... Here is a letter that came with them:

"Dear Fellow Genealogist,

Unfortunately the lab has been unsuccessful in extracting the DNA from both of your vials.

The sample submitted was insufficient in its quantity of DNA.

We apologize for the delays and any inconvenience this may have caused.

When you begin the collection process, chew a little bit on the inside of the cheek (not enough to draw blood), before the scraping. This can help to create a better sample. Also if you can, please wait at least four hours between scrapings, and avoid food and beverages for at least an hour.

Once again, we apologize for the delay in your results.

Thank you,
                          Family Tree DNA

Family Tree DNA
                          1919 North Loop West
                          Suite 110
                          Houston, TX 77008"

They probably sent the same letter to people. It is ironic though that they said there was an insufficient quantity of DNA because I already have 67 markers, HVR1 & 2 done plus I'm waiting for the full sequence and another 18 markers. Well, if you'll all excuse me, I have some cheek to chew.

Comment

Oh heavens, R2D2!

I'm still here waiting for DeepSNP Rib1c results like you from batch 143 (due 26 April 2006 and ordered 7 weeks before that). Like you I've happily had Y37 completed and all but 3 SNPs work ok from those samples.

I guess the fact that they are send ing out new vials either means that they've used up so much DNA already trying to get it right or they've just plain lost the originals? Or maybe they are just buying another 7 weeks turnaround time to give it another shot? Either way,k I'd now be very surprised to get any results this side of Xmas.

Greg

Comment

Anyone out there who's been waiting for longer than two months extra for the upgrade's second panel, due 8/28?
                              Comeon, they're only 13 markers...

Comment

Originally posted by R2-D2
                                It is ironic though that they said there was an insufficient quantity of DNA because I already have 67 markers, HVR1 & 2 done plus I'm waiting for the full sequence and another 18 markers.
                                Why is this ironic? There's insufficient DNA *because* you've already had all those tests. I don't think they can store processed DNA for future testing? If that's true, then every time you order a new test, they have to extract more DNA from your original sample and process it again. So if your original sample didn't contain a lot of quality DNA, then I can definitely understand why they would need another sample for further testing.

To help avoid running out of DNA, be sure to follow the instructions and scrape "vigorously" (not forcefully -- no need to draw blood) to collect as many cells as possible. And once you've scraped, do not put the scraper down, since you don't want the cells transferring from the scraper to the surface that you put it on -- be sure to put the scraper directly into the vial.

Comment

Working...
                                X