2 swabs = how many tests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 swabs = how many tests?

How many tests can be run on those 2 little swabs of dna, before there isnt enough to really get a decent sample, for any more testing?

Just last week I asked the same question of FTDNA. Their reply was ..."a good sample will probably provide enough DNA for a hundred tests." Hope they are right!

Comment

My understanding is that FTDNA takes one sample from one swab, isolates the DNA from it, and then dilutes it for multiple tests.

Only if a test fails does FTDNA go back to the swab for another sample. If that fails too, FTDNA then tries the second swab--twice, if necessary--before finally asking the customer for more swabbing.

In other words, one sample is sufficient for many tests as long as all those tests pass. But in practice, we are seeing many failures in these forums--not so much on yDNA STR tests, but on mtDNA tests and yDNA deep-subclade tests.

For example, I requested both yDNA and mtDNA tests close to 3 months ago. The yDNA tests went well, but almost all mtDNA tests have failed and need to be re-run.
      Last edited by lgmayka; 19 May 2006, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I've wondered if actual blood samples would be better. I can see where they would want to make it "convenient" for the customer, but what effect does "diluting" the sample have? I would gladly prick my finger if it meant more accurate/reliable results, and which could be repeatedly tested without a need to dilute. You would think a few drops of blood would be a better sample than saliva. Maybe they could make that an option?

Comment

I agree with blood testing if only the shelf life could be expanded. But there is also a bio-hazard restriction with using the mail and blood products. Plus it needs to be kept cold or almost partially frozen to keep it preserved.
          But it would be totally fantastic if a test strip could be invented, like for testing blood glucose.
          mari

Comment

Working...
          X