For those waiting on Y-59 tests/upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those waiting on Y-59 tests/upgrades

I saw the following message on the DNA-ANTHROGENEALOGY list on Yahoo. Went and checked my personal page and, sure enough, it shows the 66 marker upgrade where once there had been 59. This may explain some of your delays to allow them to go back and add the additional markers.
    All:

As a person who has ordered the upgrade to 59 markers from
    FamilyTreeDNA
    I wanted to pass along that I received an email notice from
    FamilyTreeDNA that they have increase the upgrade from 59 markers to 66
    at no additional charge.

Charles Kerchner
    http://www.kerchner.com/dna-info.htm

Hmmm, I see news travels fast around these parts.

Comment

Wow! You're right. I didn't notice the change, because only the title was changed, not the explanation:
      ---
      Y-Refine37to66(Y-DNA37-59 Markers)
      05/15/2006
      ---

Hooray for FTDNA! We can always use more markers.

Comment

My results are due tomorrow. 38-66....(and SNP)

Maybe there will be a delay to do with the new markers?

I'll find out tomorrow.

Comment

Today is target day...no results so far..

Comment

66-marker results delayed

M,

You must have missed the various posts that mentioned the 66-marker tests will be delayed. See this post, in which I included a copy of the email from FTDNA on Friday:

http://www.familytreedna.com/forum/s...3&postcount=26

Elise

Comment

yes...I did figure the results might be late.

I still check my home-page periodically. You never know?

Comment

True enough!

Comment

From 37 to 66 markers

Yes, like many others, I am also receiving the upgrade from 57 to 66 markers free. It is probably a way of being rewarded for our patience, due to the overall delays. They are also upgrading the refinements at the same time. My initial target date was May 15, but it's going to take 2-3 extra weeks, due to quality control and batch verifications. I'm in batch 146. I think it's a good deal...

Comment

oh...just 2 or three extra weeks ...where is the icon for pulling my hair out ?

i'll just use this one ...he's already bald.

Comment

67 instead of 66 markers now!

Actually, it looks like we'll get 67 markers instead of the 66, due to a split of one marker in two. I'd say it's worth waiting... I have to wait much longer for reruns on my DeepSNP...

Comment

a marker split in two? ..Someone must have dropped it.

The extra markers are welcome...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Draghici
                          Yes, like many others, I am also receiving the upgrade from 57 to 66 markers free. It is probably a way of being rewarded for our patience, due to the overall delays. They are also upgrading the refinements at the same time. My initial target date was May 15, but it's going to take 2-3 extra weeks, due to quality control and batch verifications. I'm in batch 146. I think it's a good deal...
                          Nothing's free in this world.

Thank you for ordering the Y-Refine37to59 test. Your sample kit number is
                          xxxxx. The price of your order is $109.00

Now Y-Refine37to67 *** more info order now $109

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Draghici
                            Actually, it looks like we'll get 67 markers instead of the 66, due to a split of one marker in two. I'd say it's worth waiting... I have to wait much longer for reruns on my DeepSNP...
                            I was thinking about the delays in Deep SNP-R1b testing, and a couple of posts I quoted on another thread came to mind. They were originally posted over on the *Poof* You Are Now R1b1 thread (posts 77 and 79, respectively).

Originally posted by davis1946
                            I posted #67 yesterday in reference to inconclusive SNP testing. I have a positive M343 but a negative P25. They are to do testing for M269. Today I found this abstract from www.pubmed.gov that I thought was interesting.

Forensic Sci Int. 2006 May 25;159(1):14-20. Epub 2005 Jul 18. Related Articles, Links

The case of the unreliable SNP: recurrent back-mutation of Y-chromosomal marker P25 through gene conversion.

Adams SM, King TE, Bosch E, Jobling MA.

Department of Genetics, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, UK.

The Y-chromosomal binary marker P25 is a paralogous sequence variant, rather than a SNP: three copies of the P25 sequence lie within the giant palindromic repeats on Yq, and one copy has undergone a C to A transversion to define haplogroup R1b (designated C/C/A). Since gene conversion is known to be active in the palindromic repeats, we reasoned that P25 might be liable to back-mutation by gene conversion, yielding the ancestral state C/C/C. Through analysis of a set of binary markers in Y-chromosomes in two large samples from Great Britain and the Iberian Peninsula we show that such conversion events have occurred at least twice, and provide preliminary evidence that the reverse conversion event (yielding C/A/A) has also occurred. Because of its inherent instability, we suggest that P25 be used with caution in forensic studies, and perhaps replaced with the more reliable binary marker M269.
                            Originally posted by RScott
                            According to a private email from Bennett Greenspan on 3 May 2006, "We have identified about 23 guys who are shown to be M343+ but P25-. We will be testing all for M269."

And, to a private email from Mark Jobling on the same date regarding the "unreliable SNP": "I can give you this advice about P25: if you are derived for P25, then clearly you are an R1b according to the 2003 YCC nomenclature, and that is straightforward and reliable. But, if you are ancestral for P25, ancestral for SRY10831.2 and M17, but derived for M173 (i.e. an apparent R1*), then there is a strong possibility that you carry a back-mutation at P25, and in that case an M269 test would be worthwhile for confirmation. This would be particularly justified if a haplogroup prediction from YSTRs pointed to R1b."

I hope Mark's comments above are helpful. If you would like the complete article, I have it.

Ron
                            R1b1
                            Perhaps that unreliable P25 is behind some of the delays?

Comment

We are just getting a few more markers than we initially ordered.

I don't care why?..i paid for 59 and now I'm getting 67.

That is interesting Stevo.
                              Last edited by M.O'Connor; 10 June 2006, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X