Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevo
    Congratulations!

Wish I had a match with someone with my surname or one of its variants.
    I went out and found this one. Find your own!!!

Seriously. A gentleman (different surname) and I have been working on connecting the dots for several years. Paper trail pointed to a connection but there was always that uncertainty since we had 'James' all over the S.E. USA. His family is in Texas and mine stayed in Virginia.

He was able to locate a cousin still carrying the surname and convinced him to test and I paid. Besides making the connection between the lines his results verify that there was no hanky-panky between me and the immigrant. That helps me in that I can now look to Scotland and look for my haplotype or one close to it and not be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by DMac
      Results came in this evening. I can now, with near certainty, call him my cousin. The gentleman I paid to have tested matches me 36/37 over 11 transmission events. That, along with the paper trail I and another cousin have put together, make it a near certainty we're the same family.

this is the type of post for dna genealogy where most people read posts

so you might just get more answers

Comment

Originally posted by DMac
        I went out and found this one. Find your own!!!
        I'm trying (my parents have always said I'm very trying).

I even wrote two men in the Netherlands with my surname to try to talk them into testing. I haven't heard back from either of them.

I'll continue to work on it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
          this is the type of post for dna genealogy where most people read posts

so you might just get more answers
          Don't quite follow you, Jim but that's okay. I wasn't really looking for any answers. Simply reporting in that a batch 148 member got his test results, early I will point out.

I do post over on the Rootsweb DNA-Genealogy list when I have questions or I have answers for others. I do recommend it as a good source for information even though some find it a bit overwhelming. If you give yourself time, and make the effort to learn, you'll get most of it eventually. If I can, anyone can.
          Last edited by DMac; 24 May 2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I even wrote two men in the Netherlands with my surname to try to talk them into testing. I haven't heard back from either of them.

There's no doubt about it, that it can be tough. Many people aren't interested or just don't trust it...DNA testing. Anecdotally, I think those feelings are even more prevalent in Europe. I do wish you and everyone else much luck. Testing in a vacuum does none of us any good.

In my case, there were 2 more sons of the immigrant ancestor that I would love to find direct male line descendants to test.

Comment

Anyone still waiting?

Hi
              Is anyone still waiting for Y-DNA results from this batch?
              I am waiting for my cousins 26-37..
              Kathleen

Comment

Answering

To answer my question..I received a response from Catherine at FTDNA that the results were not clear and unambiguous so they had to go back and are due in 4-5 weeks..
                Unsure of whether that means from 5/15 when I got 12-25 or from today..

Kathleen

Comment

I too am waiting for results from this batch -- Y DNA 37 to 67.

Comment

I'm waiting too for my mtDNA results.

Comment

A couple of years ago, I mailed out fliers a couple of years ago to try to recruit Flanagans in Kentucky and a line that went from Kentucky to Marietta, OK. It didn't generate any interest but still trying. It's just a matter of trying to get even a few. I am also hoping, once I get enough money together, to ask a friend [kinswoman?] in Waterford to try to get her brothers to participate and also a Flanagan I know in South Africa. I have a strong ebnough relation with them that I think they will do it, even if I can just get 12 markers in to get things started.

Granuaile

Comment

Wonderful Monday morning surprise.... I just received my fathers MtDNA (H)from batch 148. Now I have to research what this all means ...44 matches for HVR1 and 1 match for HVR1 & HVR2.

Still waiting for the 67 marker upgrade in this batch.

It's all still worth the wait!!!

Comment

Someone has posted on Gen-DNA that they did get a 67 marker test result back.. Was it you Chris? I didn't save the email, but SOMEone did and that is good news.

Comment

Oh my gosh! They finally posted partial results for my y-refine 38-67... just markers 48-60 are pending lab results... almost there!

50 days beyond the expected* date but once again I'm happy to see they are working our tests.

Comment

Working...
                            X