DeepSNP-I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeepSNP-I

The following is in response to my inquiry about my DeepSNP-I Batch 132 expected 2/1/06:

"The lab has found that they were not making enough diluted DNA for many of the DEEP test takers so they have had to go and re-dilute concentrate on in some cases where the DNA volume wasn't sufficient they have had to
    re-extract the B swab. Sorry for that delay, no one it seems realized how
    much DNA we'd need for the DEEP test as compared to the standard diluted
    volumes of DNA for each person. It's been a real time drag on the entire
    system.
    I think that we are about out of the words (sic) on this, and appreciate your
    patience.

Best Regards

Bennett Greenspan
    President"

Originally posted by fmoakes
    The following is in response to my inquiry about my DeepSNP-I Batch 132 expected 2/1/06:

"The lab has found that they were not making enough diluted DNA for many of the DEEP test takers so they have had to go and re-dilute concentrate on in some cases where the DNA volume wasn't sufficient they have had to
    system.
    patience.

Best Regards

Bennett Greenspan
    President"
    THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION, fmoakes, THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH.
    I finally understand why my results for E3b Deep clade test (batch 133, due
    02/08/2006) have been so delayed.

Roberto

Comment

system.
      patience.

Best Regards

Bennett Greenspan
      President"
      Just a status update: Another 3 weeks+ has passed with no results and no unsolicited information from FTDNA??

Comment

you guys from batch 133 are still waiting???

I am doing the deep snp for I in batch 140, which is now over a month late...

Comment

Hi Bennett! I don't have a test of my own in Batch 132 but a big "Thank You" is in order. I think you'll find that a little feedback in the process of dealing with DNA sampling will go a long way. Most people will be very appreciative and will understand delays. They are willing to wait for accurate results - as long as they know what's going on with their sample. Just check any forum in the Batch Calendar. By the way, I'm a proud Batch 147 member myself!

If the time from batch creation to posting of results was, say, seven days... then there wouldn't be any need for more feedback. As it is though, testing takes about "seven weeks". That's a fairly significant wait for returns on an investment and of course everyone is eager for the results of their tests.

On everyone's personal page is a timetable and an estimated date for results. Below that are a few paragraphs explaining the process that goes on in the labs to generate results from the samples. I'd suggest a more in-depth FAQ, possibly on the FTDNA home page itself, explaining the process of batch handling in more detail - including reasons for possible delays. This would cure a lot of the confusion and (sometimes) embittered posts regarding the status of samples and batches.

The lab guys would be the ideal source of information for a FAQ page, but I'd bet they're busy enough as it is! Maybe a little collective knowledge drawn from those who run FTDNA would buy a lot of patience and a lot of happy customers - all just for answering the questions that are being asked constantly on the forums.

Just my opinion but give it some thought.

Comment

Yup, still waiting on batch 133 re-do of G deep clade, originally due 2/8.

Comment

Still waiting on Deep Clade Test Batch 132 due 2/1.

Comment

JT - The post above was a copy/paste from an email that Bennett sent directly to fmoakes. You should email your comments to Bennett directly -- he's very responsive to email, but I'm not sure that he reads these boards.

Elise

Comment

this is what happens when you postaway you work to a frenzy soon your not happy

i know of people who left with their projects do to a major delay now they find out how strapped they are and they cant retest everyone in ftdna

it will happen people

relax

Comment

Hi again Mr Denning! That was my mistake, I thought for some reason fmoakes WAS Bennett! Oops. And, actually, I'm posting on behalf of all the posters asking about the status of their sample - not on behalf of myself. I just think very strongly that people are very responsive and understanding when given information about the status of their sample. Just see posts on the Batch 147 forum after I did my best to answer a few questions. I'm just trying to get a more detailed FAQ put up for others, to answer all those questions I see constantly on the boards. It benefits customers and it benefits FTDNA - and that's the whole point of my posting. I believe it would be a worthwhile effort to better inform customers about DNA processing in the labs.

I mistook fmoakes for Bennett so I'll email directly this time. If anyone has a good reason why an updated and more detailed FAQ may not be such a good idea - you can post right here and I'll read it.

Comment

Originally Posted by efriedman
                      JT - The post above was a copy/paste from an email that Bennett sent directly to fmoakes. You should email your comments to Bennett directly -- he's very responsive to email, but I'm not sure that he reads these boards.
                      Forgot to say thanks to you for pointing out my error. I'll look up his email and send him my original post.

Comment

Just a status update: Another 3 weeks+ has passed with no results and no unsolicited information from FTDNA??
                        I must retract the "no unsolicited information from FTDNA??" part of the above statement. I looked under the "Haplogroup" tab on my FTDNA page and there was the statement that part of my DeepSNP-I test had failed and was being rerun. I am still frustrated that I don't have the results, but it was not correct to suggest that I was being ignored by FTDNA.

Comment

I looked under the "Haplogroup" tab on my FTDNA page and there was the statement that part of my DeepSNP-I test had failed and was being rerun. I am still frustrated that I don't have the results, but it was not correct to suggest that I was being ignored by FTDNA.
                          It seems that this is an automatically generated message sent out by FTDNA. I got it too, as others have. I bet they didn't show ANY SNPs tested negative either, although they were supposed to provide this information as soon as it is available. Thus we know absolutely nothing about how (and if at all) our tests are handled at the moment. Can't really call that information, can you?

Comment

Originally posted by anka
                            It seems that this is an automatically generated message sent out by FTDNA. I got it too, as others have. I bet they didn't show ANY SNPs tested negative either, although they were supposed to provide this information as soon as it is available. Thus we know absolutely nothing about how (and if at all) our tests are handled at the moment. Can't really call that information, can you?
                            NO, not in my case. When the message said my G deep clade needed to be redone, they listed my M201+ & all my -'s that they had results for. Only one, the P15 was inconclusive. The retest is to find out about it, to see if the haplogroup is G or G2. All subgroups are -. So, in my case they did list all the known info from the test.

Comment

Why doesn't FTDNA test for P40 (I1a1 marker)?

I just got my Batch 142 Deep-Clad I results today: I1a.

I'm wondering why they didn't test for P40 (I1a1 marker). They test for I1a2, I1a3 and I1a4 markers, but not for I1a1. Is there something especially difficult about testing for P40?

Comment

Working...
                              X