Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breakwater70
    replied
    Hi Clara, seems to be that we match HVR1 and 2. You mentioned the country of origin your ancestress came from. What country was that?

Leave a comment:

• Clara
    replied
    distant cousins...matches

At this point, I have responded to all of the matches I was given with my test results (31), but so far have not found anyone who is close.... Most are pre-1600, many not even in same country as my mtDNA ancestress. Hopefully, others will come along, but then there was never any guarantee, I know, from FTDNA.

Clara

Leave a comment:

• Clara
    replied
    finding the words...

Originally posted by Gregory
    Clara,

Thanks for www.isogg.org; it helped me out some.
    Why don't you give it a try? I emailed someone who thought we couldn't be realted. So, we both share an ancestor who was around 20,000 years ago. We both have only two numbers that match. If they don't want to be bothered, then they should not have put their names into the database. Anyway, that's the way I see it.
    You might be feeling a little scared; it seems kind of creepy going way back that far into Ancient history. Anyway, good luck!
    Hi, Greg!

Very much to the point! I suppose my concerns go back to the reasons that I tried "genetic genealogy" in the first place -- there are lots of "blanks" on my mother's family tree...and I would like to fill some of them in! FTDNA is a "shot in the dark" for me...or a "fishing trip." My ideal would be to locate descendants of my great-grandmother's little sister...but I will greatfully accept something else. I am going to write to some of those folks...I just hope my letter is interesting!

Thanx
    Clara
    Last edited by Clara; 7 November 2005, 05:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• vraatyah
    replied
    Gregory, it doesn't matter which of your particular mutations you share with any other person. Moreover, all the changes you have (except for 124) taken separately are very usual and occur in many haplogroups, so you should restrict your search to L3d haplogroup only.

Valery

Leave a comment:

• Gregory
    replied
    Originally posted by vraatyah
    Gregory,

your particular variant seems to be uncommon both in the African mainland and in the African diaspora, it's more likely due to undersampling of some groups. If you are interested in more close matches I recommend you to mail Dr Antonio Salas, maybe he has unpublished data on L3d. Although my database of hvs sequences is larger than most testing companies have, it contains only a little number of African variants (I'm more familiar with eurasian phylogeny). I suspect, some commercial companies like African Ancestry have much more.

Valery

Vraatyah:

Thanks for your help, but what's so strange is that I found at least two sequences of my mtdna in places where I did not think was possible. For example, one of my two numbers was 16399G (not the exact number but close). Now, the only "G" catagory that I found so far was in some Asian country.
    Also, I found two other sequences both in Spain and Mexico. This really gets confusing.

Leave a comment:

• Gregory
    replied
    Originally posted by Clara
    Hi, Greg

Did you try the website <www.isogg.org> ? It is recommended by FTDNA and is also free -- look into the "resources" section.

They can add more that numbers to all of this -- and this does get back to people and places in the end, does it not!

You may wish to look into some of the other sections, too (see the left side of the web page).

All of the references given to with my test result are from mtDNA (at least I think they are).

I haven't written to any of them yet -- to be quite honest, I am not certain what I should ( best) say to them

Sincerely,
    Clara
    Clara,

Thanks for www.isogg.org; it helped me out some.
    Why don't you give it a try? I emailed someone who thought we couldn't be realted. So, we both share an ancestor who was around 20,000 years ago. We both have only two numbers that match. If they don't want to be bothered, then they should not have put their names into the database. Anyway, that's the way I see it.
    You might be feeling a little scared; it seems kind of creepy going way back that far into Ancient history. Anyway, good luck!

Leave a comment:

• vraatyah
    replied
    Gregory,

your particular variant seems to be uncommon both in the African mainland and in the African diaspora, it's more likely due to undersampling of some groups. If you are interested in more close matches I recommend you to mail Dr Antonio Salas, maybe he has unpublished data on L3d. Although my database of hvs sequences is larger than most testing companies have, it contains only a little number of African variants (I'm more familiar with eurasian phylogeny). I suspect, some commercial companies like African Ancestry have much more.

Valery
    Last edited by vraatyah; 2 November 2005, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Clara
    replied
    other references

Hi, Greg

Did you try the website <www.isogg.org> ? It is recommended by FTDNA and is also free -- look into the "resources" section.

They can add more that numbers to all of this -- and this does get back to people and places in the end, does it not!

You may wish to look into some of the other sections, too (see the left side of the web page).

All of the references given to with my test result are from mtDNA (at least I think they are).

I haven't written to any of them yet -- to be quite honest, I am not certain what I should ( best) say to them

Sincerely,
    Clara

Leave a comment:

• vraatyah
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregory
    Well my results are in, but what does it mean? (Thanks Family Tree DNA)
    HVR1 Haplogroup L3d

HVR1 differences

from CRS

16093C

16124C

16126C

16223T

16399G

I have a couple of sequences that match your hvs1 type.

Sierra-Leone of Jackson
    (Mitochondrial DNA Genetic Diversity Among Four Ethnic Groups in Sierra Leone
    Bruce A. Jackson et al. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY 000:000–000 2005)

L3d

16001-16498: 093-124-126-223

(1 of 276)

African Americans of Mc Lean

(McLean,D.C. Jr., Spruill,I., Gevao,S., Morrison,E.Y.S.A., Bernard,O.S., Argyropoulos,G. and Garvey,W.T.
    Three Novel mtDNA Restriction Site Polymorphisms Allow Exploration of Population Affinities of African Americans JOURNAL Hum. Biol. 75 (2), 147-161 2003)

L3d

16023-16384: 093-124-126-223

56-394: 73-150-152-195-263-315.1C

(1 of 87)

Leave a comment:

• Gregory
    replied
    Originally posted by Clara
    Hi, Greg

Glad to see that your test results have been posted. So have mine. I agree; much of it is "Greek." A person just has to read through some of the descriptive material. My best guess is that it may take a little while to gain a good grasp of it.

Did you choose to sign the release form? I did. As a result, FTDNA has supplied me with 28 others who share my DNA (although how closely related they are may be another story). I think that you can still do it, if you want to.

Clara
    Clara, I too signed the release form but I did not have any matches.
    I'm using the mitosearch, so I had people who matched with 16223T
    and 16399G some one of each. Than I had one that match with 16093C.
    I don't think I have clear matches, but I think there's no Italians in my family line. And yes there's still a lot of unanswered questions. Some of the people were from Spain, and Mexico, Brazil. I have to look into this some more. This is a very good service it helps weed out the inconsisties in family histories.

Leave a comment:

• Clara
    replied
    interpreting results

Hi, Greg

Glad to see that your test results have been posted. So have mine. I agree; much of it is "Greek." A person just has to read through some of the descriptive material. My best guess is that it may take a little while to gain a good grasp of it.

Did you choose to sign the release form? I did. As a result, FTDNA has supplied me with 28 others who share my DNA (although how closely related they are may be another story). I think that you can still do it, if you want to.

Clara

Leave a comment:

• Gregory
    replied
    Also, I have mutations which is different than the CRS.
    16100 is showing one red "T" and 16130 has two red "T" and 16230 has a "C".
    Lastly, 16400 has a big "A".
    I have no ideal what this all means.

Leave a comment:

• Gregory
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Denning
    if you check under your page on when its due it says this might be delayed by a couple of days, egad dont worry until the date gets here lol

Well my results are in, but what does it mean? (Thanks Family Tree DNA)
    HVR1 Haplogroup L3d

HVR1 differences

from CRS

16093C

16124C

16126C

16223T

16399G

Leave a comment:

• Jim Denning
    replied
    if you check under your page on when its due it says this might be delayed by a couple of days, egad dont worry until the date gets here lol

Leave a comment:

• Clara
    replied
    counting those days...

Hi, Greg.

I haven't received any results, either. ...And, although we are supposed to receive results on the 29th, from a practical standpoint, we may not get it until a weekday. What do you think, Greg?

October 29th does fall on a Saturday.

That's okay with me...as long as they post the results on the first day they are back at their jobs. [i.e., have not lost them].

With their reputation, it will work out!
    Clara

Leave a comment:

Working...
X