Batch 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, friends

Jim, just as you predicted...give it three weeks and things will speed up!

Jeff and Gregory, Jim and I have been using the lag time to discuss other aspects of genealogy...some specifically related to genetic genealogy. It has been fun to have something to do...while we await lab results on samples sent in.

I don't really expect any surprises on my mtDNA report (famous last words, right, Jim?)...still it is the lack of documentation avalailable for my maternal line...positioned next to a lecture I attended at the local genealogical society that encouraged me to send in my DNA sample for genetic testing. My Dad's family is fairly well researched; however, my mother's line is "lost" somewhere between Missouri and Maryland in the early 1850s.

From a practical sense, Jim, shouldn't I think of beginning a locational board in that direction? I am flattered by your suggestion that I begin one...but it is one that gives me pause.... I am certain that, were I to do it, I would benefit from your expertise, Jim.... (I would be fortunate to have an advisor.) Perhaps it will lend itself to further discussion….

Yet my first question is...what is that report going to say? I haven't heard anything (via my web page) from FTDNA since 9/18 when sequencing was to begin on my sample – no updates so far. I hope that foul weather hasn’t slowed them down...or am I being impatient!

Thanx, Clara
    Last edited by Clara; 27 September 2005, 01:41 PM.

Comment

correction (wishful thinking)!

Hi, folks...

No, that wasn't sequencing...that date [9/18/05] was for the isolation process to begin.... Such errors show that I am eager to see the results!

Thanx, Clara

Comment

Originally posted by Clara
        Hello, friends

Jim, just as you predicted...give it three weeks and things will speed up!

Jeff and Gregory, Jim and I have been using the lag time to discuss other aspects of genealogy...some specifically related to genetic genealogy. It has been fun to have something to do...while we await lab results on samples sent in.

I don't really expect any surprises on my mtDNA report (famous last words, right, Jim?)...still it is the lack of documentation avalailable for my maternal line...positioned next to a lecture I attended at the local genealogical society that encouraged me to send in my DNA sample for genetic testing. My Dad's family is fairly well researched; however, my mother's line is "lost" somewhere between Missouri and Maryland in the early 1850s.

From a practical sense, Jim, shouldn't I think of beginning a locational board in that direction? I am flattered by your suggestion that I begin one...but it is one that gives me pause.... I am certain that, were I to do it, I would benefit from your expertise, Jim.... (I would be fortunate to have an advisor.) Perhaps it will lend itself to further discussion….

Yet my first question is...what is that report going to say? I haven't heard anything (via my web page) from FTDNA since 9/18 when sequencing was to begin on my sample – no updates so far. I hope that foul weather hasn’t slowed them down...or am I being impatient!

Thanx, Clara
        is your mom connected to Hannibal, MO / Quincy, IL i might ask for a new board tomorrow want to join me as co admin?
        your report will tell you what your dna is and then the ethnic origins and the halopgroup and what they mean . you ll get this when your dna is processed untill then dont expect anything no news is good news.
        yeah they are based in houston and were in ritas way so returning is a problem maybe . max told me today they are funtioning there email me at [email protected] if you are interested in co admin with me it might go over a bit due to some problems in other batches

Comment

new angles

Hi

Jim...good suggestion. Thank you....

So, Jeff and Gregory...while we are awaiting results, what brought you to genetic genealogy? Are you interested in the last 30,000...or are you like me, mainly interested (at least, for now) in the last 500 years?

I want to fill in some of those gaps before I "officially" become a member of the hunter-gatherer approach to living.... I don't know that I have the stamina for it!

Thanx, Clara
          Last edited by Clara; 28 September 2005, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I can here because of a conflict of countries my ancestor was born.
            My family said that it was Italy, but the name is clearly English.
            So, the only way to clear up this matter is to have my DNA tested.
            I hope to find other secrets as well.

Comment

name changes

Hello

Gregory, have you considered sniffing out the naturalization papers? Of course, the relevance would depend upon how many generations you are talking about. A friend of mine did that...discoverning his [surname] ancestor had filed ca. 1920 (when there must have been a change legally...and everyone who could [including losts of people who had been putting it off for another day] filed to get under the wire). It may have been tough for them [those who filed] but it becomes a real find for family genealogists. Some of those old naturalization papers have not only the point of origin and native land noted but also the name of the ship taken...which can also be researched.

Thanx, Clara
              Last edited by Clara; 29 September 2005, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Hello

Gregory, have you considered sniffing out the naturalization papers? Of course, the relevance would depend upon how many generations you are talking about. A friend of mine did that...discoverning his [surname] ancestor had filed ca. 1920 (when there must have been a change legally...and everyone who could [including losts of people who had been putting it off for another day] filed to get under the wire). It may have been tough for them [those who filed] but it becomes a real find for family genealogists. Some of those old naturalization papers have not only the point of origin and native land noted but also the name of the ship taken...which can also be researched.

Thanx, Clara
                I think wherever my ancestor came from it was post 1920. I can't be sure without details. However, once the test come back it will tell their true country of origin. Then, I will take results to a genealogist and have them to locate my ancestors.

The other questison is: how long will the test be in DNA Isolation?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory
                  I think wherever my ancestor came from it was post 1920. I can't be sure without details. However, once the test come back it will tell their true country of origin. Then, I will take results to a genealogist and have them to locate my ancestors.

The other questison is: how long will the test be in DNA Isolation?

its just a step in the process so the answer is 2 weeks
                  this is batch 119
                  Kit Received
                  8/29/2005

Batch 119 created
                  9/1/2005

DNA Isolation began
                  9/4/2005

DNA at Sequencing facility
                  9/17/2005

Quality Control began
                  9/21/2005

*Target Results Date
                  10/15/2005

Comment

confirming suspected detail

Gregory, I agree with you in theory...; however, there is another way to look at it. You may wish to consider getting two separate, independent pieces of documention...both of which you hope will come to the same conclusion. You have already gone for the DNA sampling, so that is one. Your second could be the naturalization papers, which you seem to be suggesting were filed during the last half of the 20th Century. The party filing would have been asked where he lived previously. It is possible that he may not have known (were he an infant when he arrived in the USA)...on the other hand, you would find a lot of detail there. It might turn out to be more interesting than you think. I do not think that such papers are closed to relatives (descendants) although you would want to double-check that with the National Archives ...Sigh!

...What date did they give you for isolation to begin? Mine is presently over ten days old...with no comment (yet) about sequencing.

Clara
                    Last edited by Clara; 30 September 2005, 02:34 PM.

Comment

another question, please...

Hello,

Jim...perhaps you can answer this: on FTDNA's website, is there an index to the area studies that are already in existence? It is simple to figure out the surname projects...but I find myself wondering if there is an area project that may apply to my maternal ancestors of the last 300 yrs.... Still the lack of an index leaves me hanging....

Perhaps it is like my grandmother used to say..."If it were a bear, it would have grabbed you!"

Any other readers find an area index?

Thanx, Clara

Comment

Geographical project index

Hello,

Jim...perhaps you can answer this: on FTDNA's website, is there an index to the area studies that are already in existence? It is simple to figure out the surname projects...but I find myself wondering if there is an area project that may apply to my maternal ancestors of the last 300 yrs.... Still the lack of an index leaves me hanging....
                        Clara,

The closest thing to an index for area or geographical studies is located on the project page (http://www.ftdna.com/surname.asp). Go there and you will see two sections - "Surname Projects" and "Geographical Projects," with links to each letter of the alphabet. Then just go search in the letters of the alphabet for the geographical areas you're looking for. For instance, if your ancestors came from Sicily, click on the link for "S" under "Geographical Project" and look for Sicily.

The reason I chose Sicily as the example is that I just joined that project and became a co-administrator for the project.

Mike

Comment

Hello,

Perhaps it is like my grandmother used to say..."If it were a bear, it would have grabbed you!"

Any other readers find an area index?

Thanx, Clara
                          thats why i asked you to email me at [email protected]
                          i run 6 of the locational studies and 4 surnames

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi
                            Clara,

The closest thing to an index for area or geographical studies is located on the project page (http://www.ftdna.com/surname.asp). Go there and you will see two sections - "Surname Projects" and "Geographical Projects," with links to each letter of the alphabet. Then just go search in the letters of the alphabet for the geographical areas you're looking for. For instance, if your ancestors came from Sicily, click on the link for "S" under "Geographical Project" and look for Sicily.

The reason I chose Sicily as the example is that I just joined that project and became a co-administrator for the project.

Mike

you might want toi join other italian locational studies like my frosinone many scilian families also have towns on the boot where the name comes from
                            mazzola being one sicily and san danato frosinone

because of me females now have the right to join two groups until they update the program these females will have to email the names in contact us
                            i run 6 locational studies chelsea ,longford,brighton/newton ,[sydney]Parramatta/SidneyAU. we need to correct the typo hannibalMo/QuincyIll,frosinone

Comment

oh, those spam artists!

Hello...

You didn't get my email, Jim? Perhaps you would like me to send it again. My ISP would have sent it back to me, if they couldn't locate the address....

My little note, sent on the 28th must be wedged in between a couple of pieces of spam, Jim.... Sending it again is a "can do" request...but I hate to clog up someones mailbox without reason!

Thanx, Clara

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
                                you might want toi join other italian locational studies like my frosinone many scilian families also have towns on the boot where the name comes from
                                mazzola being one sicily and san danato frosinone
                                Jim,

I think I'd better wait until I get my results, both yDNA and mtDNA, before I think about joining the Frosinone project. Right now my paternal line dead ends around 1845 in western Sicily with my great-grandfather who was an abandoned infant (reason for my initial interest in genetic genealogy). My maternal line comes from Basilicata/Puglia and I can trace that back, so far, to 1840 or so.

I see Frosinone is in the same region as Rome. I know that most of the migration from other parts of Italy to Sicily in the middle ages was from Pisa and some other northern Italian cities. I don't know the situation with Basilicata and Puglia. I suppose if I come up with some matches from the Frosinone project that may indicate I should join.

One thing that came up when I joined the Sicily project yesterday is how will FTDNA handle my mtDNA results which do not originate from Sicilian ancestors. I e-mailed Bennett Greenspan on this and he wrote back that they will have to discuss this at a programming meeting. I guess whenever my results come back (37 marker yDNA and HVR1 & HVR2 mtDNA), the mtDNA results will mistakenly appear in the Sicily project - unless they come up with a solution before then.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X