X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch 120

mt-H 10/27/2005 Batch 120

waiting

Thanx for your earlier response, Jim. Batch 120 seems very lonely, except that now I know that this is where my sample rests. Just waiting for results, which I am hoping will come by Thanksgiving 2005. No profound comments to offer. ...Anyone know what the code names with numbers in parenthesis
    on the calendar mean...? [Example: nutmeg (100)] Is this the name of the technician who is handling samples?
    Last edited by Clara; 20 September 2005, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Kit Received
      9/12/2005

Batch 120 created
      9/15/2005

DNA Isolation began
      9/18/2005

Comment

Originally posted by Clara
        Thanx for your earlier response, Jim. Batch 120 seems very lonely, except that now I know that this is where my sample rests. Just waiting for results, which I am hoping will come by Thanksgiving 2005. No profound comments to offer. ...Anyone know what the code names with numbers in parenthesis
        on the calendar mean...? [Example: nutmeg (100)] Is this the name of the technician who is handling samples?
        in 3 weeks or so it will be more active as the wait begins

Comment

aspects

Hello

How does one know that one has ordered the "right" test? Obviously, it has to be something between the goal of the participant and the capacity of the test...but how does one know?I have come late to genetic genealogy, previously doing my gen. research by more traditional methods. Obviously, surname validation is not [yet] available to female researchers..., due to naming practices within Euro-american cultures.

Maybe I am wondering if FTDNA makes recommendations as to what further testing might lend greater insight in the report that is promised, once testing is complete.

Thanx, Clara

Comment

Hello

How does one know that one has ordered the "right" test? Obviously, it has to be something between the goal of the participant and the capacity of the test...but how does one know?I have come late to genetic genealogy, previously doing my gen. research by more traditional methods. Obviously, surname validation is not [yet] available to female researchers..., due to naming practices within Euro-american cultures.

Maybe I am wondering if FTDNA makes recommendations as to what further testing might lend greater insight in the report that is promised, once testing is complete.

Thanx, Clara
            my recomendation is this chances are you will want it all [mtdna and y if applicable] the basic teste hrv1&2 y1-37

the more you can do the better it will be because slowly ordering can cause long waits which will kill you lol
            the real controling factor is your wallet if you can i say do it you wont be sorry
            but you know what you can afford

Comment

request modifications

Hello, again!

Everything I have read suggests that women carry one set of "y" chomes [markers?] for one generation while they carry "xy" chomes for a multitude of generations. For me [this is a bit anecdotal, I admit]. I have spent hours in a variety of libraries (Nat. Archives, etc.) researching my father's family line...and with a degree of success; however, my mother's line remains a little on the vague side. Oh, we have those notorious family stories and all of that, but documentation is much harder to come by. ...So my emphasis is upon my mother's line (wish she were still living so she could be tested, but that is not a possibility).

Does FTDNA have any projects for women? While I appreciate the company of men, I notice that most surname projects say in one or another way "men only here."

Thanx, Clara

Comment

whoops...said in reverse: correction!

...the females having only the XX...and the males having the XY

(sorry about that)

Thanx, Clara

Comment

clara i run three locational studies based on mtdna if you dont fit one start one. where are your people from and where did they settle

mine left county longford and came to chelsea ma. my 4 surnames all were from longford and came here too. and other places my wife is from the province of frosinone italy so i started one there

Comment

origins

Hello,

By the 1700s, my maternal line was "off the ship" and residing in Maryland. Most of my mother's ancestors came from Great Britian...with one from France, that I know of. As for my paternal line...they were in Massachusetts by the 1600s. Of course, by 1850 many of their descendants had eyes on the mid-west. My dad's family came from South Dakota while my mother's family was from Missouri. My parents were two "flappers" who met in Chicago during the late 1920s...college kids just out of school...fell in love and spent 60 yrs. being married. I grew up in North Carolina and eventually moved to NY. So...we were all over the map in North America...

I am just waiting for the mtDNAplus report to see what [if anything] FTDNA suggests. I am hoping that I can translate the "Greek" they will send me...and then find a message board that will apply. Probably it will be a locational board, as you suggest, but just to say Europe without the report does not really tell any of us very much, does it?

Thanx, Clara

Comment

so start the towns in england and puritain mass. how many women were on the mayflower were they already related aka sisters mom aunts all sharing the same mtdna. thus the chances are great but you need straight females or males

Comment

interesting thought

Jim, I fear that my Dad did not inherit the Mayflower marker...his [surname] ancestor was not among the Puritans. He simply got off a ship from Wales around 1630..., and lived happily ever after, so to speak. True my Dad's line became a Mayflower line, but he [even if he were living] would not have inherited the marker because one of his ancestors married into a Mayflower family. (If you live in Massachusetts in the early days who do you marry but the folks who are already living there?)

It is a different story with my maternal line.... I have a male cousin I would love to have tested...maybe then we could clear up some of my mother's Maryland questions.... But he remains unconvinced (the son of my mother's brother, etc.), Perhaps if I knew him better, my petition would sway him...or if I could think of the right words.... You know what I mean, Jim? It was that [surname] ancestor who decided he just had to leave Maryland and come to Missouri.... But we have lost his trail!

Thanx, Clara
                        Last edited by Clara; 26 September 2005, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Jim, I fear that my Dad did not inherit the Mayflower marker...his [surname] ancestor was not among the Puritans. He simply got off a ship from Wales around 1630..., and lived happily ever after, so to speak. True my Dad's line became a Mayflower line, but he [even if he were living] would not have inherited the marker because one of his ancestors married into a Mayflower family. (If you live in Massachusetts in the early days who do you marry but the folks who are already living there?)

It is a different story with my maternal line.... I have a male cousin I would love to have tested...maybe then we could clear up some of my mother's Maryland questions.... But he remains unconvinced (the son of my mother's brother, etc.), Perhaps if I knew him better, my petition would sway him...or if I could think of the right words.... You know what I mean, Jim? It was that [surname] ancestor who decided he just had to leave Maryland and come to Missouri.... But we have lost his trail!

Thanx, Clara
                          so title the study "puritan mass" a mtdna study look at my three studies explain to him this isnt usuable dna its junk dna and no one else can get it for you
                          we should move this to dna genealogy folder i'll help you if you want.

Comment

Another Batch 120 Member

Hi Clara,

Just thought I would announce my membership in Batch 120 with you. At least you aren't alone now!

Looking forward to results...
                            Jeff

Comment

I hope three is not a crowd because I'm waiting too.
                              Maybe we can compare notes.

Comment

Working...
                              X